Care to answer my questions?

Care to answer my questions?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
75d
5 edits

@kellyjay said
I do not create the possible outcomes! If we flip a coin it is going to be a 1 on landing heads or tails, so 50/50 encompasses all of the possible outcomes of a coin flip, nothing to do with me. I could shuffle a deck of cards the odds would be approximately 8.07 × 10^67 of a specific order showing up, but 1 that one would, not something I made up. The possibilities that have to do with life going wrong over right, leave all of that behind not because I say so.
I once flipped a coin and it landed on edge. Really. It was standing edgewise (a British Pound coin, they're thick). So what's the probability of that, then eh? Did God make that happen?? Strange things happen, for no reason; just accept it. But you can't, can you? Everything has to have a reason for you. That speaks volumes about you and says nothing about the universe.

Moves
75d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Mr Y could indeed answer, "I think your question is loaded and you want me to say my favourite colour is orange so you can ridicule it."

But the response, "liar!" remains invalid.
There are many loaded questions and answers being wielded around here, which makes it invalid. Perhaps moonbus will use dice next? Perhaps Dive will once again ask, 'Why do you think so?'

God is playing with all of us by using the dice he has loaded.

Sin City is nearly a perfect place to use as an analogy. The odds are always in favor of the house. Few will leave Las Vegas as winners, and many will leave as losers. I go there for the shows, the food, and watching the faces of all the gamblers. But I have been known to drop a few dollars on the gaming tables and have used coins on the one-arm bandits too. But just enough to get the idea that if one keeps playing, even the early wins go lost. The odds are with the house, absolutely.

Moves
75d

@moonbus said
Negative. I once flipped a coin and it landed on edge. Really. It was standing edgewise (a British Pound coin, they're thick). So what's the probability of that, then eh? Did God make that happen??
Did you suddenly become able to hear people's thoughts when the coin landed on its edge?

Perhaps God did, and you were in the Twilight Zone?

I'm cross-threading to keep Ghost's 80s thread alive.

Über-Nerd

Moves
75d
2 edits

@PettyTalk

Hey, Twilight Zone, never heard that before, but love it. 'Groovy' ? No, I cannot hear other people's thoughts. Betazoid telepathy would be hell.

Über-Nerd

Moves
75d

@pettytalk said
Apparently, moonbus does not realize that when he mentions LAW, he admits to the universe having a meaning and a scope. Laws are enacted with the intent of establishing order. The law of probability is a law designed to establish an understanding of occurrences. However, it mandates unbiased coins, which means a perfectly balanced coin that has an absolute possibility of ex ...[text shortened]... e this physical universe meaningful and intentional.

I'm intentionally communicating through you.
Disambiguation:

Descriptive law does not imply intent. It implies only a perceived regularity. Science deals with descriptive laws exclusively.

Normative law implies intent. Morality is normative.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
75d

@pettytalk said
There are many loaded questions and answers being wielded around here, which makes it invalid. Perhaps moonbus will use dice next? Perhaps Dive will once again ask, 'Why do you think so?'

God is playing with all of us by using the dice he has loaded.

Sin City is nearly a perfect place to use as an analogy. The odds are always in favor of the house. Few will leave Las ...[text shortened]... dea that if one keeps playing, even the early wins go lost. The odds are with the house, absolutely.
In my life I have never had any addictions, but I knew as a kid that gambling could be my weakness. - I grew up in a seaside town with amusement arcades and while my friends spent their few coins on racing and fighting games, mine went into the gambling machines. (I liked, too much perhaps, the noise they made when you got nudges or had a pay out, small as it was in them days). As a consequence, I never gamble. (Except perhaps the rare lottery ticket). It's just one of those things I thought it wise to stay away from.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
75d

@moonbus said
I once flipped a coin and it landed on edge. Really. It was standing edgewise (a British Pound coin, they're thick). So what's the probability of that, then eh? Did God make that happen?? Strange things happen, for no reason; just accept it. But you can't, can you? Everything has to have a reason for you. That speaks volumes about you and says nothing about the universe.
1/3

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
75d

@moonbus said
So you don’t have reasons for some of your beliefs, I already told you that, you can be unreasonable.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
75d
1 edit

@pettytalk said
Did you suddenly become able to hear people's thoughts when the coin landed on its edge?

Perhaps God did, and you were in the Twilight Zone?

I'm cross-threading to keep Ghost's 80s thread alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3WAyRJxWpg
That guy did it with an American dime and it stayed that way for awhile. I remember the episode.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
75d

@moonbus said
Disambiguation:

Descriptive law does not imply intent. It implies only a perceived regularity. Science deals with descriptive laws exclusively.

Perceived regularity is exactly what the Author of it all set in place, so from time to time alternates or new inputs could be done, without breaking laws that were perpetually locked. Directing it all, working all things together for those that love Him.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
75d

@moonbus said
Disambiguation:

Science deals with descriptive laws unless as you suggest there is no reason for something's regularity. Normative laws for morality are some of the scariest things that could be said, do you believe because it is a norm in Gaza what was done to the Jews in October was moral/good or do you not use the word good when applying it to people it just is? When Germany started down the path towards becoming Nazi, the culture went down a dark path, that normatively acceptable, or is there a standard that is higher than the cultures you refer to?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
75d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
In my life I have never had any addictions, but I knew as a kid that gambling could be my weakness. - I grew up in a seaside town with amusement arcades and while my friends spent their few coins on racing and fighting games, mine went into the gambling machines. (I liked, too much perhaps, the noise they made when you got nudges or had a pay out, small as it was in t ...[text shortened]... perhaps the rare lottery ticket). It's just one of those things I thought it wise to stay away from.
You were wiser as a youth than I was, I went knee-deep into sex, drugs, and pleasure a happy little heathen. Seeking pleasure and avoiding pain as long as I was getting what I wanted I was content.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
75d

@kellyjay said
You were wiser as a youth than I was, I went knee-deep into sex, drugs, and pleasure a happy little heathen. Seeking pleasure and avoiding pain as long as I was getting what I wanted I was content.
Pleased those days are behind you Kelly.

F

Moves
75d

@kellyjay said
There are plenty of people "knee-deep into sex, drugs, and pleasure" who believe that Jesus died to forgive mankind's "sins". Those people are not "heathen".

Moves
75d

@moonbus

Did you ever watch the Twilight Zone TV series? There was an episode about a coin landing on its edge.