1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 20:53
    Do any Christians here speak in tongues as described by the bible (divinely speaking in a language you were never taught)?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 20:55
    @vivify said
    Do any Christians here speak in tongues as described by the bible (divinely speaking in a language you were never taught)?
    I don't, but my sister joined a Pentecostalist church. I'l ask her whether she ever witnessed this phenomenon, if you want me to.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 20:56
    @moonbus said
    I don't, but my sister joined a Pentecostalist church. I'l ask her whether she ever witnessed this phenomenon, if you want me to.
    Cool, let me know what she says.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 21:05
    @vivify said
    Why do you ask, and yes.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 21:11
    @kellyjay said
    Why do you ask, and yes.
    Just curious. No rebuttals or anything.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 21:11
    @vivify said
    I have asked several Pentecostals and other sects about that and they all said it was a sham. Pastors pretend and the congregation just goes along, and pretend also. Apparently they believe that if they cannot do it then they do not have the Holy Spirit, so they pretend. Much of this church stuff is all pretense and deception.
  7. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 21:14
    @vivify said
    This is interesting! Glossolalia, for those intellectuals among us. I like to speak plainly with my divine gift.

Before I say anything, why do you want to know?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 21:211 edit
    @pettytalk said
    This is interesting! Glossolalia, for those intellectuals among us. I like to speak plainly with my divine gift.

Before I say anything, why do you want to know?
    Why would you ask why a man wants to know something? If a man does not want to know then that would be strange. People are naturally curious about these claims. I wanted to know some years ago and I asked church people directly and many said it was all a sham, and pretense because if they could not do it then it reflected negatively on them, so they pretended also.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 21:56
    @vivify said
    I have witnessed people purporting to speak in tongues a few times.
  10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 22:23
    @rajk999 said
    Why would you ask why a man wants to know something? If a man does not want to know then that would be strange. People are naturally curious about these claims. I wanted to know some years ago and I asked church people directly and many said it was all a sham, and pretense because if they could not do it then it reflected negatively on them, so they pretended also.
    I asked why, as to the motive for wanting to know. I did question the why as to your why. My why was specific to why, and not why as to why would I ask.

But I certainly see why you would ask me why would I, as a man, want to ask why, unnaturally. Naturally you are not able to understand a specific why. If I was you I would become more curious as to why you, yourself, have not been more curious. And don't ask me why.

If you ask me about my asking I can tell that you don't understand, in any tongue.
  11. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 22:49
    @vivify said
    Just curious. No rebuttals or anything.
    If you are just curious, you should have specified that it's a personal curiosity survey thread. One directed at Christians.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 22:52
    @rajk999 said
    I have asked several Pentecostals and other sects about that and they all said it was a sham. Pastors pretend and the congregation just goes along, and pretend also. Apparently they believe that if they cannot do it then they do not have the Holy Spirit, so they pretend. Much of this church stuff is all pretense and deception.
    What does the Bible say?
  13. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 22:56
    @vivify said
    And for your information, in case you are just curious and don't know, claims of speaking a language which was never taught is not limited to the class of Christians. There have been claims not related to any particular divinity/religion.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jan '24 23:44
    @kellyjay said
    What does the Bible say?
    It says dont lie. All liars will be cast into the lake of fire.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '24 00:06
    @rajk999 said
    It says dont lie. All liars will be cast into the lake of fire.
    Yes, that is true, but the topic was speaking in tongues what does the scripture say about the Spirit of God and speaking in tongues? Are you planning on listening to church people, not the scripture?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree