Do any of you speak in Tongues?

Do any of you speak in Tongues?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
116d

@kellyjay said
Yes, that is true, but the topic was speaking in tongues what does the scripture say about the Spirit of God and speaking in tongues? Are you planning on listening to church people, not the scripture?
I have been told by many in the churches and even by a pastor that the 'speaking in tongues' is a sham. They lie and deceive because that is what the people want to hear. Many churches are money-making organisations, and they do and preach what pleases the people and what fills the collection plate. Lying and deceiving is what gets the job done.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
116d

@rajk999 said
I have been told by many in the churches and even by a pastor that the 'speaking in tongues' is a sham. They lie and deceive because that is what the people want to hear. Many churches are money-making organisations, and they do and preach what pleases the people and what fills the collection plate. Lying and deceiving is what gets the job done.
By many in churches, even a pastor does not address the question of what the Bible says on the topic. You spend years complaining about "church doctrine." Why do you now use them as a source for your truth on Biblical topics?

I think not alot

On my arse

Moves
116d

Quicken yourselves to Acts 2 and with understanding, all will be answered.
The Revival Church is big on tounges.
The pasters wife was praying desperately to receive and when she did she wasn't happy with it and prayed fervently for a different one. I argued that she had rejected a gift of God .

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
116d
1 edit

@happy-chappy said
Quicken yourselves to Acts 2 and with understanding, all will be answered.
The Revival Church is big on tounges.
The pasters wife was praying desperately to receive and when she did she wasn't happy with it and prayed fervently for a different one. I argued that she had rejected a gift of God .
God is not a game where we pick and choose what we would like when we would like it. It is as the Spirit directs, those playing around as if they control the gifts of the Spirit create a circus atmosphere for own their enjoyment, they are not to following the Spirit of God's leading if it's all about them.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
116d

@moonbus said
I don't, but my sister joined a Pentecostalist church. I'l ask her whether she ever witnessed this phenomenon, if you want me to.
Like snake-handling, this is most likely a church sideshow, making a mockery of scripture.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
116d

@kellyjay said
God is not a game where we pick and choose what we would like when we would like it. It is as the Spirit directs, those playing around as if they control the gifts of the Spirit create a circus atmosphere for own their enjoyment, they are not to following the Spirit of God's leading if it's all about them.
This does not mean we should leave our brains behind when we go to church.

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." -- 1 John 4:1, KJV

This is called discernment.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
116d

@rajk999 said
I have asked several Pentecostals and other sects about that and they all said it was a sham. Pastors pretend and the congregation just goes along, and pretend also. Apparently they believe that if they cannot do it then they do not have the Holy Spirit, so they pretend. Much of this church stuff is all pretense and deception.
Prayer healing is much the same.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
116d

@suzianne said
This does not mean we should leave our brains behind when we go to church.

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." -- 1 John 4:1, KJV

This is called discernment.
I'll not argue against trying the spirits, we should be yes, but there is more about walking in the Spirit and speaking in tongues than just that in scripture.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
116d

@vivify said
Do any Christians here speak in tongues as described by the bible (divinely speaking in a language you were never taught)?
This is not an ability I have acquired after 3 decades of “being a Christian”. I’m not sure how one does acquire such a gift, but I suspect that there is a correlation between attendance at a church where others do have this ability, and having the ability oneself.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
116d

@pettytalk said
I asked why, as to the motive for wanting to know. I did question the why as to your why. My why was specific to why, and not why as to why would I ask.

But I certainly see why you would ask me why would I, as a man, want to ask why, unnaturally. Naturally you are not able to understand a specific why. If I was you I would become more curious as to why you, yourself, ha ...[text shortened]... ask me why.

If you ask me about my asking I can tell that you don't understand, in any tongue.
Have you ever “spoken in tongues”.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
116d

@kellyjay said
You spend years complaining about "church doctrine." Why do you now use them as a source for your truth on Biblical topics?
Rak999 hasn’t mentioned “church doctrine” in this thread.

Why are you saying he has?

F

Moves
116d
1 edit

@divegeester said
This is not an ability I have acquired after 3 decades of “being a Christian”. I’m not sure how one does acquire such a gift, but I suspect that there is a correlation between attendance at a church where others do have this ability, and having the ability oneself.
I’m not sure how one does acquire such a gift

I have witnessed people doing it both when I was a Christian and when I wasn't.

Based on my experiential knowledge of faith ~ and its impact ~ I would say that "speaking in tongues" can be caused by two things:

[1] a sense of hysteria or emotional intoxication, or

[2] a manipulative or narcissistic determination to deceive gullible or relatively vulnerable members of a congregation or group.

My best hunch is that the people who put it in the Bible were perhaps involved in [2].

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
115d
4 edits

@kellyjay said
What does the Bible say?
What does the Bible say?

[Acts 2:3 NLT] 3 Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them.

[Acts 10:46 NLT] 46 For they heard them speaking in other tongues and praising God. Then Peter asked,

[Acts 19:6 NLT] 6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied.

[1Co 14:1-33 NLT] 1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives--especially the ability to prophesy.
2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won't be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.
3 But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them.
4 A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.
5 I wish you could all speak in tongues, but even more I wish you could all prophesy. For prophecy is greater than speaking in tongues, unless someone interprets what you are saying so that the whole church will be strengthened. 6 Dear brothers and sisters, if I should come to you speaking in an unknown language, how would that help you? But if I bring you a revelation or some special knowledge or prophecy or teaching, that will be helpful.
7 Even lifeless instruments like the flute or the harp must play the notes clearly, or no one will recognize the melody.
8 And if the bugler doesn't sound a clear call, how will the soldiers know they are being called to battle?
9 It's the same for you. If you speak to people in words they don't understand, how will they know what you are saying? You might as well be talking into empty space.
10 There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning.
11 But if I don't understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me.
12 And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church.
13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said.
14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don't understand what I am saying.
15 Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand.
16 For if you praise God only in the spirit, how can those who don't understand you praise God along with you? How can they join you in giving thanks when they don't understand what you are saying? 17 You will be giving thanks very well, but it won't strengthen the people who hear you.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than any of you.
19 But in a church meeting I would rather speak five understandable words to help others than ten thousand words in an unknown language.
20 Dear brothers and sisters, don't be childish in your understanding of these things. Be innocent as babies when it comes to evil, but be mature in understanding matters of this kind.
21 It is written in the Scriptures: "I will speak to my own people through strange languages and through the lips of foreigners. But even then, they will not listen to me," says the LORD. 22 So you see that speaking in tongues is a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers. Prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers.
23 Even so, if unbelievers or people who don't understand these things come into your church meeting and hear everyone speaking in an unknown language, they will think you are crazy.

24 But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don't understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin and judged by what you say. 25 As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, "God is truly here among you."
26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let's summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you.

27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say.

28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately.

29 Let two or three people prophesy, and let the others evaluate what is said. 30 But if someone is prophesying and another person receives a revelation from the Lord, the one who is speaking must stop. 31 In this way, all who prophesy will have a turn to speak, one after the other, so that everyone will learn and be encouraged. 32 Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can take turns. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God's holy people.

The Scriptures are clear, not all Christians are able to speak in tongues; as many evangelicals teach and claim.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
115d

@kingdavid403 said
What does the Bible say?

[Acts 2:3 NLT] 3 Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them.

[Acts 10:46 NLT] 46 For they heard them speaking in other tongues and praising God. Then Peter asked,

[Acts 19:6 NLT] 6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and pro ...[text shortened]... urns. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God's holy people.
👍

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
115d

@kellyjay said
👍
A thumbs up ? Did you read the part King David highlighted? It says in a nutshell, if you do not interpret, then shut up, and dont speak in tongues. Do churches interpret?