Questions on morality

Questions on morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
16 Feb 17
2 edits

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Which reply of yours (specifically) do you have in mind?
You have ignored every direct post I have made to you on the previous page and this one, (36 and 37) and yet responded to posts I have made to other posters. Do you really not see that?

Go back to the 2 previous pages and read through them. I find it highly disrespectful and irritating.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
16 Feb 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
As always you don't respond to the two answers I directed at you, but instead respond to a reply I made to someone else. Why do you do that?

And what dodge? Have I not already told you that I fully accept morality may vary from society to society and that what I view as right might not be considered so by someone from a different society (and vice ...[text shortened]... content with being right within my own moral framework and in accordance with my own conscience.
Are you also happy to concede that what you view to be right is not necessarily right because your society says so? Or do you view all your morals to be automatically right because you got them from your society?

F

Moves
16 Feb 17

Are you also happy to concede that what you view to be right is not necessarily right because your society says so? Or do you view all your morals to be automatically right because you got them from your society?
Your moral sensibilities are derived from your upbringing, your experience and your environment, just like Ghost of a Duke's are, and mine too, everybody's in fact. Your superstitions ~ and your interest in [and personal opinions about] the ancient Hebrews which underpin them ~ are a product of your upbringing, your experience and your environment. They are all part of "nurture".

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
16 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
Your moral sensibilities are derived from your upbringing, your experience and your environment, just like Ghost of a Duke's are, and mine too, everybody's in fact. Your superstitions ~ and your interest in [and personal opinions about] the ancient Hebrews which underpin them ~ are a product of your upbringing, your experience and your environment. They are all part of "nurture".
And are all moral sensibilities therefore right even if they permit contradictory actions?

Moves
16 Feb 17

Sorry, but this is not you dealing with my response to your question. This is just you asking follow on questions that barely differs from your original question.

You know my answer. I have already given it to you. Don't ask again.

F

Moves
16 Feb 17

And are all moral sensibilities therefore right even if they permit contradictory actions?
You asked me about this before and I explained my view. You're just rehashing the same stuff over and over. Look, I get it that you're ever so keen on the significance of your religious beliefs, I get that, but it's just stuff you've got from your life experience. It's simply part of your "nurture", like I said.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Can something be a part of one's "nurture" and also be true ?
Or is all that arrives from "nurture" necessarily untrue?

F

Moves
18 Feb 17

Originally posted by sonship
[1] Can something be a part of one's "nurture" and also be true ?

Or [2] is all that arrives from "nurture" necessarily untrue?
[1] Of course. [2] No of course not. Two pretty daft questions, sonship. What are you on about? If you don't understand how (or don't agree that) religious beliefs are a function of things like upbringing, experience and environment, then say so.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
[1] Of course. [2] No of course not. Two pretty daft questions, sonship. What are you on about? If you don't understand how (or don't agree that) religious beliefs are a function of things like upbringing, experience and environment, then say so.
'True' only for the individual or true for everyone?

F

Moves
18 Feb 17

'True' only for the individual or true for everyone?
As I have said numerous times, when it comes to notions and conjecture about supernatural things, there is nothing that is perceived as "true" and credible by everybody.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
As I have said numerous times, when it comes to notions and conjecture about supernatural things, there is nothing that is perceived as "true" and credible by everybody.
So you are saying that something needs to be perceived as true by everyone for it to be a universal truth? What about the time when 'everyone' believe the world was flat?

Moves
18 Feb 17

So you are saying that something needs to be perceived as true by everyone for it to be a universal truth? What about the time when 'everyone' believe the world was flat?
Good grief, are you still going on about this stuff 😵

F

Moves
18 Feb 17

It makes no difference to me how many hundreds of times you want to talk - regardless of how directly or indirectly you do it - about your own superstitions as being "universal truths". I don’t see how whether or not the earth is flat is connected to notions and conjecture about supernatural things like the ones you are preoccupied with, so it seems like bit of a non-sequitur.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Feb 17

Originally posted by divegeester
Good grief, are you still going on about this stuff 😵
Have you decided whether it is only true that Jesus died for you or for everyone?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
It makes no difference to me how many hundreds of times you want to talk - regardless of how directly or indirectly you do it - about your own superstitions as being "universal truths". I don’t see how whether or not the earth is flat is connected to notions and conjecture about supernatural things like the ones you are preoccupied with, so it seems like bit of a non-sequitur.
If it is possible for truth about natural things to apply to all people, why do you think it is impossible for truths about supernatural things to apply to all people?