Understanding the Bible:  A Discussion on Luke 18:18-27

Understanding the Bible: A Discussion on Luke 18:18-27"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
131d

@rajk999 said
ONLY God is good. ONLY, means nobody else is good.
Your church really have you confused.
I agree only God is good, and Jesus did not speak to either His own goodness, nor His divinity in His response to that question. Since you are denying Christ divinity you are also saying Jesus is not good as well. This is another reason how I know that your Jesus is made up in your heart and not the one in scripture. You are deceived!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
131d

@pettytalk said
Speak now, or forever hold your peace. Is there anyone here who disagrees that eternal life is equivalent to salvation?
We all have eternal life, where it is dependent upon salvation.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
131d

@kellyjay said
I agree only God is good, and Jesus did not speak to either His own goodness, nor His divinity in His response to that question. Since you are denying Christ divinity you are also saying Jesus is not good as well. This is another reason how I know that your Jesus is made up in your heart and not the one in scripture. You are deceived!
The bible passage says
- a man called Jesus good
- Jesus says why are you calling me good
- Jesus said only God is good.

We can conclude that Jesus and God are two separate and distinct entities.

Moves
131d

@rajk999 said
Ok, I responded ... whats you opinion on eternal life and salvation.
This isn't intended as a conversation between just us two. We need to hear from the rest of the group. However, I assure you that I will express my own viewpoint once we've gathered enough input from everyone else. I don't want to influence anyone with my unique perspectives. There might be someone else who views the situation similarly. For now, I can say that both concepts of eternal life and salvation involve both the physical body and the spiritual soul.

Moves
131d

@pettytalk said
I don't want to influence anyone with my unique perspectives.
LOL.

Moves
131d
1 edit

@rajk999 said
The bible passage says

Agreed. - I will replace 'good' with 'omnipotent' to make clear the distinction he was making:

- a man called Jesus omnipotent
- Jesus says why are you calling me omnipotent
- Jesus said only God is omnipotent

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
131d
1 edit

@rajk999 said
The bible passage says

You can conclude whatever you want since you make it up. You are saying Jesus is not good, with that line of reasoning. Since God is good, since Jesus is good, we can conclude Jesus is the Word of God made flesh, the Son, in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as in God. The Father and the Son are one along with the Holy Spirit.

Moves
131d

@kellyjay said
You can conclude whatever you want since you make it up. You are saying Jesus is not good, with that line of reasoning. Since God is good, since Jesus is good, we can conclude Jesus is the Word of God made flesh, the Son, in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as in God. The Father and the Son are one along with the Holy Spirit.
How can you conclude that? Jesus specifically challenged why he was being described as good, saying only God was good. (Not himself).

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
131d

@kellyjay said
So Jesus misled the man according to you. Jesus could have told the man, what you say there:

- God is good, and I am also good
- I am the Word of God made flesh

The poor man did not have a bible that says those things. Jesus is misleading people then

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
131d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
How can you conclude that? Jesus specifically challenged why he was being described as good, saying only God was good. (Not himself).
He did not deny or confirm His goodness or divinity in his response, instead, He started a conversation with someone who wanted to know how to get eternal life, and at the end of that conversation, there was no doubt about the cost. The status of Jesus' divinity and goodness are seen throughout all of scripture, not that one statement to someone coming to Him for an answer on what was required.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
131d

@rajk999 said
So Jesus misled the man according to you. Jesus could have told the man, what you say there:

- God is good, and I am also good
- I am the Word of God made flesh

The poor man did not have a bible that says those things. Jesus is misleading people then
You can make believe whatever you want, simply staying with what was said shows you reducing Jesus to someone less than good is telling.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
131d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Agreed. - I will replace 'good' with 'omnipotent' to make clear the distinction he was making:

- a man called Jesus omnipotent
- Jesus says why are you calling me omnipotent
- Jesus said only God is omnipotent
Wherever one or two are gathered in my name, where is Jesus going to be?

Moves
131d

@kellyjay said
He did not deny or confirm His goodness or divinity in his response, instead, He started a conversation with someone who wanted to know how to get eternal life, and at the end of that conversation, there was no doubt about the cost. The status of Jesus' divinity and goodness are seen throughout all of scripture, not that one statement to someone coming to Him for an answer on what was required.
I am perpetually surprised how Christians can choose to ignore the obvious in scripture. It is as if you have read an entirely different passage,

Moves
131d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
In the Gospel of John you do indeed have Jesus saying things like, "Before Abraham was, I am." And, "I and the Father are one," and, "If you've seen me, you've seen the Father." - Why though don't we see this in the other gospels or in the writings of Paul? Why don't they record Jesus saying such things?

Surely Matthew, Mark and Luke would mention Jesus called himself God if that was indeed what he was declaring about himself. No?
Bump for Kelly.

Moves
131d

@kellyjay said
I don't intend to interfere between you two, but I believe you do not understand what is meant by 'the Living Word'. This refers to the Biblical text, the 'Word' of God as written down. When Jesus became flesh and blood and had a mouth to speak, he embodied the Living Word.

As stated in John 12:49, 'For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me, He gave Me a commandment, what I should say and what I should speak.'