"what I learned debating trolls" Science article:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
28 Aug 14

Originally posted by josephw
What's more, [atheists] aren't "talking about my God" at all.
Oh yes they are. They are confronting you about what you profess to believe.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
28 Aug 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
First you tell sonhouse that you get him, then you follow up with this:

[b]So then, evolution is the cause of all the suffering? Someone should explain that to sonhouse. He thinks some nonexistent god is responsible. 😵 😉

Where it is obvious that you did not get him at all. Please go back and reread his posts.[/b]
You're mixing apples with oranges and comparing quotes from one post with those of another out of their contexts. Either you don't know what you're talking about or obfuscating or both.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
28 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
Oh yes they are. They are confronting you about what you profess to believe.
You should read more carefully the things they are saying about the God of the Bible.

What they say proves they know nothing about God. They are talking about another god which isn't a god at all.

Now if they really wanted to confront me about what I know and believe about God, then they should change their language and try to debate like mature responsible adults instead of behaving like children, calling names and poking fun at others of faith.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
28 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
Everybody knows you sincerely believe this. But that's no reason to post as if yesterday, today, every day, is always the first time you've ever talked to someone who thinks your God figure is imaginary.
Well, when they begin to produce a reasoned argument proving God doesn't exist, instead of regurgitating they same old vindictive and inflammatory diatribes, I'll stop treating it as though it was the first day of debate everyday.

F

Moves
28 Aug 14
1 edit

Now if they really wanted to confront me about what I know and believe about God, then they should change their language and try to debate like mature responsible adults instead of behaving like children, calling names and poking fun at others of faith.
I might have been more interested in engaging you more often if it were not for your tendency to rely almost wholly on circular logic to "substantiate" almost everything you assert. Added to that is the fact that you exude nothing ~ in spiritual terms ~ that I would ever seek to emulate or adopt.

F

Moves
28 Aug 14

Well, when they begin to produce a reasoned argument proving God doesn't exist, instead of regurgitating they same old vindictive and inflammatory diatribes, I'll stop treating it as though it was the first day of debate everyday.
Treating engagement with dissenters as though it is the first day of debate every day is less than what you should be aspiring to if your God figure and your religionist dogma is as brilliant and empowering as you claim.

F

Moves
28 Aug 14

What they say proves they know nothing about God. They are talking about another god which isn't a god at all.
Nope. They are are confronting you about the claims you make about your God figure and your view of reality adjacent thereto.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
28 Aug 14
1 edit

"I might have been more interested in engaging you more often if it were not for your tendency to rely almost wholly on circular logic to "substantiate" almost everything you assert. Added to that is the fact that you exude nothing ~ in spiritual terms ~ that I would ever seek to emulate or adopt."

I would be more interested in engaging you more often too if it weren't for your tendency to use box logic* to unsubstantiate everything anyone of faith says. Add to that your propensity to rely on your own authority to dismantle the idea that there is a greater authority than you or I concerning the truth about spiritual matters leaves nothing in your favor to commend.

"Treating engagement with dissenters as though it is the first day of debate every day is less than what you should be aspiring to if your God figure and your religionist dogma is as brilliant and empowering as you claim."

Glad you know so much about something you claim you don't believe in. After all, it took you 28 years to figure out you couldn't believe it!

"They are are confronting you about the claims you make about your God figure and your view of reality adjacent thereto."

No they're not. They are confronting me about what God has said about Himself and what He says about this world. And they're doing it in as insulting a way as they can. Rude, impolite, discourteous and insulting.

You just use a more sophisticated way of doing the same thing.

* Whatever that is! 🙄

F

Moves
28 Aug 14

No they're not.
Oh yes they are.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
Oh yes they are.
Yes. They are doing what I said they are doing. Thank you for agreeing.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
29 Aug 14
2 edits

[b]"I might have been more interested in engaging you more often if it were not for your tendency to rely almost wholly on circular logic to "substantiate" almost everything you assert. Added to that is the fact that you exude nothing ~ in spiritual terms ~ that I would ever seek to emulate or adopt."

I would be more interested in engaging you more of ...[text shortened]... ing.

You just use a more sophisticated way of doing the same thing.

* Whatever that is! 🙄[/b]

the statement quoted above contradicts the statement quoted below.

No they're not. They are confronting me about what God has said about Himself and what He says about this world. And they're doing it in as insulting a way as they can. Rude, impolite, discourteous and insulting.

-------------
Explain

F

Moves
30 Aug 14

Yes. They are doing what I said they are doing. Thank you for agreeing.
They are confronting you about what you profess to believe.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Aug 14

Originally posted by Agerg
[b]What they say proves they know nothing about God. They are talking about another god which isn't a god at all.

the statement quoted above contradicts the statement quoted below.

-------------
Explain[/b]
Gladly!

FMF said:
"They are are confronting you about the claims you make about your God figure and your view of reality adjacent thereto."

To which I replied:
"No they're not. They are confronting me about what God has said about Himself and what He says about this world."

Is it so difficult to see? I'm trying to make the point that it isn't my claim at all. I'm only expressing that what is know of God is as it was revealed by God. This poses a conundrum for the atheist. His only retort is to make the knowledge of God, His nature and attributes, the invention of men. Hence the statement made by FMF that they, those denying the existence of God, are confronting me about my claims, which I have made perfectly clear, are not my claims. They are my beliefs. I didn't make up God, or who and what He is.

The first quote you referenced was from another post I made in reply to an ongoing argument I was having with FMF, which was in a different context from the quote you think it is a contradiction of. It went like this:

Originally posted by FMF
"Oh yes they are. They are confronting you about what you profess to believe."

To which I replied:
"You should read more carefully the things they are saying about the God of the Bible.

What they say proves they know nothing about God. They are talking about another god which isn't a god at all."

The Biblical description of God is misrepresented by some atheists when they attribute to God characteristics that are not Biblical. Those characteristics are about some other god invented by some atheists to disparage the true nature of the God of the Bible.

Objectively speaking, if one is going to be taken seriously, he or she should at least try to be as intellectually honest as possible, and refrain from making derogatory and inflammable remarks in a forum such as this.

FMF seems to feel the need to defend such behavior by excusing it as merely confrontation. It is much more than that. It is hate speech.

That's my explanation.

F

Moves
30 Aug 14

FMF seems to feel the need to defend such behavior by excusing it as merely confrontation. It is much more than that. It is hate speech.
Mostly, when people start bandying around accusations of supposed "hate speech", it turns out that they are just trying to inhibit the free speech of people they disagree with.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
31 Aug 14

Well, when they begin to produce a reasoned argument proving God doesn't exist, instead of ...
Not sure who "they" are but you obviously know otherwise you would not be saying this.

So who are "they"?
And give 2 examples of them "beginning to produce a reasoned argument proving God doesn't exist"

Or alternatively SHUT UP.