1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 17:28
    A huge email queue has developed today so email delivery is rather slow at the moment (hours).

This will hopefully clear overnight. Preventative measures will be in place tomorrow to prevent this happening again. (Well, if they work, anyway... 🙂 )

-Russ
  2. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 23:48
    Must be because of all that move-reminders traffic...
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 11:07
    Not long now until turning off reminders will be available to you.

-Russ
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 11:081 edit
    Email should be getting sent promptly now. The queue has cleared, and is no longer backing up.

-Russ
  5. Connecticut
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 12:50
    Thanks for the hard work. 🙂
  6. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 12:53
    Originally posted by Morren
    Thanks for the hard work. 🙂
    suck up
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 18:34
    Again, we have a big email queue developing - an unfortunate side effect of improving response times when making a move is that even more mail is being generated than normal.

-Russ
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 08:44
    After a few days trying to improve performance, I have realised that we need a bigger boat.

Unfortunately, until any new hardware can be installed, we will need roll back some changes meaning making moves will revert to being slower again at peak periods. (Week days, afternoon & evening, GMT)

-Russ
  9. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 16:391 edit
    What about removing move reminders or disabling then? Would that help relieve the stress on the mail queue? I imagine that must be a large bulk of the emails..
  10. Johannesburg
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 10:05
    Originally posted by Russ
    Again, we have a big email queue developing - an unfortunate side effect of improving response times when making a move is that even more mail is being generated than normal.

-Russ
    As a future improvement to reduce this kind of side effect, what is the feasability of batching the email messages.

How many individuals are receiving multiple messages that could be packaged in one?
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 11:00
    Originally posted by MIODude
    What about removing move reminders or disabling then? Would that help relieve the stress on the mail queue? I imagine that must be a large bulk of the emails..
    Move notifications take up 99%+ of the queue.

An opt out option for reminders will be available shortly though.

-Russ
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 11:071 edit
    Originally posted by craigy
    As a future improvement to reduce this kind of side effect, what is the feasability of batching the email messages.

How many individuals are receiving multiple messages that could be packaged in one?
    Yes, we considered this. But, many people rely on real-time move reminders to continue their games. (And the amount of feedback we received regarding late notifications recently supports this)

So, I may try to promote turning off notifications for the more active users who probably ignore them anyway.

But, the fact of the matter is that one of our servers is now underpowered for the demands we are placing on it. I will be getting new hardware in place ASAP.

-Russ
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 12:521 edit
    Yet another Xeon processer is being thrown into the mix to help the workload.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree