1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 10:21
    To prevent the bumping of old threads, threads will now close in public forums after 60 days of inactivity. (No new posts)

You can still link to old threads if you want to refer to them. [ threadid ] thread id [ /threadid ]. (Remove the spaces)
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 12:39
    I didn't realise it was a problem but the solution seems fair.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '10 07:49
    Can the OP's subsequent posts be excluded from what is regarded as "activity" to prevent certain self-centric individuals artificially reanimating their boring drivel?

Thanks.
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '10 08:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Can the OP's subsequent posts be excluded from what is regarded as "activity" to prevent certain self-centric individuals artificially reanimating their boring drivel?

Thanks.
    Reading this (your) post, then looking at your profile blurb, I have come to the conclusion that you are a grade 'A' hypocrite. Figures.

skeeter
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '10 09:05
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Reading this (your) post, then looking at your profile blurb, I have come to the conclusion that you are a grade 'A' hypocrite. Figures.

skeeter
    Thanks for that.

I on the other hand have no idea who or what you are; but after reading this (your) post, I have little intention of finding out.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '10 09:462 edits
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 May '10 10:14
    Thanks for that.

I on the other hand have no idea who or what you are; but after reading this (your) post, I have little intention of finding out.
    I don't want to pick a fight, but you do seem to be both championing and advocating the stifling of free speech.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '10 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I don't want to pick a fight, but you do seem to be both championing and advocating the stifling of free speech.
    I'm certainly not picking a fight either!

My suggestion was defending the right of people here at rhp not to have to listen (read); that is not the same as stifling free speech.

If a post is ignored by everyone it should be allowed to die and not be resurrected by certain individuals who tend to continually propagate their own threads by bumping them.

It's a sensible suggestion and not meant to give offence.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 May '10 14:42
    I'm certainly not picking a fight either!

My suggestion was defending the right of people here at rhp not to have to listen (read); that is not the same as stifling free speech.

If a post is ignored by everyone it should be allowed to die and not be resurrected by certain individuals who tend to continually propagate their own threads by bumping them.

It's a sensible suggestion and not meant to give offence.
    Well, I see your point, but we won't then know when the OP has responded to any points raised, which I would find a bit unfair.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 May '10 08:23
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Well, I see your point, but we won't then know when the OP has responded to any points raised, which I would find a bit unfair.
    I can see I'm not making myself clear which is provoking a challenging response.

Issue:
    Some (just a few prolific ones) posters frequently bump their own threads.

Solution:
    To prevent this activity from keeping in a thread from dying after the new 60 day timeout, I propose that the OPs subsequent posts are not registered as 'activity' in that thread.

Note:
    This does not mean the OP can't respond, or that their posts are hidden, or indeed anything like that. It merely means that those posts are not registered as activity in the thread.

Hope that makes sense, apologies for not being clear.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '10 11:25
    Originally posted by Russ
    To prevent the bumping of old threads, threads will now close in public forums after 60 days of inactivity. (No new posts)

You can still link to old threads if you want to refer to them. [ threadid ] thread id [ /threadid ]. (Remove the spaces)
    Good way to keep the forums fresher

but could this introduce the new problem of duplicate threads? I.e. a thread has gone over the 60 day thing so a new identical thread is created?
  12. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    02 May '10 22:04
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    Good way to keep the forums fresher

but could this introduce the new problem of duplicate threads? I.e. a thread has gone over the 60 day thing so a new identical thread is created?
    That's not really why this is being put into place, in my humble opinion.

What happened every now and then is that some joker decides to bump an old thread which caused confusion as some forum posters don't look at the posting dates and respond to a thread as though it were current. This is particularly effective if the thread was controversial.

Basically, this is just to keep things moving forward, and to stop the morons who are looking for threads from 2001 and trying to show "how things have changed".

It'll do nothing to stop the current crop of glory whores from bumping their own threads ad infinitum.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 May '10 15:35
    "ghost bumping" is now blocked too.
  14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    05 May '10 09:02
    Originally posted by Russ

This still leaves 13 pages of threads available for "legitimate" bumping!!

With 30 threads per page that means 390 threads available for bumping.

Still too many. 3 weeks would be more than long enough to consider a thread "dead".
  15. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    06 May '10 14:51
    Can we have a cap on thread size? 2000 posts seems more than fair.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree