Subs, bandwidth and taxes...

Subs, bandwidth and taxes...

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

Braga, Portugal

Moves
03 Dec 04

well,i'm sure lots of people dont' mind to pay more.. and some users do mind... and they will say nothing to avoid sounding "cheap", but i'm a student i have no income, plus no credit card, and to pay for the site i had to send Russ a Postal Check.. wich costed me 8$ extra to send the 20$. So for people like me.. an increase to 30$ would be even more.

I do agree that site has a very good price, but that was what made me subscribe.. my first and only subscription ever.. and because it was much better than Gameknot that aks 29$ already minimum.. and i liked the Site's policy of one Fee to get the whole package. Also Russ availabilty to anwser the countless mails i sent haha 😳

So well if it has to be. of couse i'll pay.. the site deserves it.. but the new prices will be a barrier for new users..

The Gutenberg Clan

Leimen, Germany

Moves
03 Dec 04

Hi Russ,
your site is worth every penny we spend for it. Don't hesitate to do what is necessary!
Michael

g
11 games waiting

far from u I hope

Moves
05 Dec 04

As almost all of the Pawnstars have said, I would be willing to pay the $30.

If the current Pawnstars would be wiiling to fork over $30 a year and the new users could go down to $24.99? (some of you have said $20 but that might not be enough) that would be great. The only problem with that though is that sounds kind of unfair to pay $25 the first year and after that $30, that doesn't make sense.

just my thoughts on this,

-reagan

S
Love gave me wings

Turfed Out

Moves
06 Dec 04

Actually Russ, part of me really resents paying anything at all to use RHP!
Why? I hear you scream: because you have done absolutely nothing to stop people being timed out while on vacation, even though this was requested many, many months ago.
If I could have 3 weeks each year where my games were protected then I would be happy paying $20, I would even be happy paying $30. But on RHP we have to put up with returning from holiday, logging on and checking how many games have been lost. How about supporting existing subscribers and THEN looking at increasing subs, I m sure we would all support you.
In Friendship

G
Whale watching

33Β°36'S 26Β°53'E

Moves
06 Dec 04

Originally posted by SirUlrich
Actually Russ, part of me really resents paying anything at all to use RHP!
Why? I hear you scream: because you have done absolutely nothing to stop people being timed out while on vacation, even though this was requested many, many months ago.
If I could have 3 weeks each year where my games were protected then I would be happy paying $20, I would even ...[text shortened]... bscribers and THEN looking at increasing subs, I m sure we would all support you.
In Friendship
That's why the timebank was developed. So just make sure you only play in 7/14 games or longer, and can have your 3 weeks whenever you like...

I think there is OODLES of support for existing subscribers. I think you are simply taking the great value you get for granted.

S
Love gave me wings

Turfed Out

Moves
06 Dec 04

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
That's why the timebank was developed. So just make sure you only play in 7/14 games or longer, and can have your 3 weeks whenever you like...

I think there is OODLES of support for existing subscribers. I think you are simply taking the great value you get for granted.

As a subscriber I would also like to play in any tournaments that I want to, however most of the ones that appeal to me do not fall under 7/14, I prefer quicker time limits.
I really don't understand why this request is always ignored.

R

London

Moves
06 Dec 04

Originally posted by SirUlrich
As a subscriber I would also like to play in any tournaments that I want to, however most of the ones that appeal to me do not fall under 7/14, I prefer quicker time limits.
I really don't understand why this request is always ignored.
The request is not ignored. Each time it is made, it provokes a storm of requests that it not be granted!

Seriously, it is reasonable for Russ to focus first on ideas that will increase the scope of the site (like clan leagues), second on requests that have a strong consensus begind them (board flipping, ways to organise archived games better...) and last on ways to resolve controversies such as the meaning of the vacation flag.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
07 Dec 04
1 edit

Originally posted by Russ
Anyway, most people will be unaffected by this – old subs continue at their existing rates, only new subscribers (from early January) will be impacted. Any questions, please post here rather than message me directly.

-Russ
Russ, i know i can't speak for everyone here, but i have to say, i personally would not be terribly upset if you decided to charge $29.99 even for old subscribers. Let's face it, everyone who is using this site long enouph to need to renue their subscription is not going to be completely surprissed if prices rise.

Your willingness to reward old users for their loyalty is admirable, but i'd hazard a guess that users re-newing their accounts constitutes a large part of your site's income. Don't forget that it is these users who are creating a need for your upgrading of equipment and bandwidth. By favouring old users over new users you cut yourself off from a lot of potential revenue, which, if tapped, could possibly make any price increase smaller for all of your users, new one's included (the new subscribers being extemely important for the continuing health of the site).

Anyone who has been here a year, could not complain about a small increase in their subscription fee. The site has so many more features now. As you said before, it runs better. If the price was increasing with no visible improvement, i would probably feel i was being ripped off a little, but with this site that just isn't the case.

Basically what im saying is, don't sell yourself short. This site is not a corporation, it doesn't have financial backing from any multi-national conglomerates. Any user here knows that. The site has a large user base, it is well put together, functional, it should be making money! πŸ™‚

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
08 Dec 04

Originally posted by marinakatomb
... The site has so many more features now. As you said before, it runs better. ...
yes it is much better, but, well, ... I don't need much more subscribers. I play some "private" games with friends, some clan games and two turneys. That's it. The site is growing and this causes the costs. Why should I pay for it? (I am willing to do so)
th

The RudeΒ©

who knows?

Moves
09 Dec 04

Originally posted by thire
. The site is growing and this causes the costs. Why should I pay for it? (I am willing to do so)
th
Because you use the site every single day and you can't expect that Russ pays all the costs of his own pocket...............

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
09 Dec 04

this is not my point. I am very willing to pay for this wonderful service and support this cool project. But "growing" is not important nor good for me. But it's the reason why Russ has so much abndwith costs.
th

D
Devil's Advocate

On the Fence

Moves
10 Dec 04

The site is very good value for money and all round light in a universe that is often far to dark.

I would be happy to renew at the $29.99 despite the fact I am, I believe entitled to renew at a lower figure.

Further more, not being a student, but a wage earner, I am also happy to be taxed to keep the price manageble for those currently financially challanged. I dont know how this can be done perhaps a site sponsership scheme where certain people can pay more on a voluntary basis.

If it pushed RHP lite upto the top of the agenda so I can play on my PDA while on the road then put me down for um... $100?

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
10 Dec 04

Originally posted by Deepfault
If it pushed RHP lite upto the top of the agenda so I can play on my PDA while on the road then put me down for um... $100?
look at what Russ said:

I will be developing a version of RHP that will work on a micro-browser soon (so I can use it on my phone, and people can use PDAs.)

read the whoe thread at http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=17121

sooo... you still want to pay the 100 bucks? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€
th

D
Devil's Advocate

On the Fence

Moves
10 Dec 04

'sooo... you still want to pay the 100 bucks? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€'
Yeah I know it’s on the cards Russ told me.

In regard to the 100 bucks let me think...
Hotel internet connection $10.00
Airport and service station terminals $5.00
Phoning my office to get them to make moves for me $5 for phone calls and possibly $50 in loss productivity.

Convenience of making a move when I think of it rather then when I get to a wired contact point and power up my notebook .... priceless (well almost).

I have enjoyed this whole personal chess rebirth immensely, and wonder why I stayed away from the game so long, well I know why, no opponents who would play me. :'(

I'm in where do I send the cash... with the current exchange rates it will only cost me £20 anyway ;-)πŸ˜€πŸ™„

s

Moves
11 Dec 04

Originally posted by Russ
Back in the summer we decided we realistically need to raise subscriptions again.
-Russ
Russ,

I am fairly new member of your site and loved the price at $19,95 I think I subscribed within a few weeks after starting to play chess here. I had never played chess before and have found I love the game very much.

Many others have stated they would pay more than the renewal fee to help out the siteI include myself in I would also pay more. Since you don't seem to want to raise the cost of everyone to the new $29.95 why not create a spot for people that want to just donate to the site.

I am sure there are some players that the expense is to much for them but would love to play more than six games. Maybe create a location for them to post their desires and someone can pay their subscription fee if they feel they deserve a subscription.

Just some thoughts I had...I do want to thank you for creating this chess site and say you are doing a wonderful job. Please keep up the good work.

Ken