Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Announcements

Announcements

  1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    24 Jul '13 15:03
    If you would like to be a community spirited player here and help other new users find their feet after sign up, please consider volunteering as a "greeter" to play a "welcome game" with new users.

    Right now, this is limited to subscribing players with 30+ rated game completed.

    You can play 1 or many of these (Rated or unrated) games, so if you feel you can help, you can volunteer here :

    Sign up as greeter

    Also available from the "community" menu at other times. Thanks.
  2. Subscriber LEUR
    TEXAS
    29 Jul '13 18:54
    Originally posted by Russ
    If you would like to be a community spirited player here and help other new users find their feet after sign up, please consider volunteering as a "greeter" to play a "welcome game" with new users.

    Right now, this is limited to subscribing players with 30+ rated game completed.

    You can play 1 or many of these (Rated or unrated) games, so if you feel you ...[text shortened]... Sign up as greeter[/]

    Also available from the "community" menu at other times. Thanks.
    Say R, how come my message thingy doesn't seem to work in my Welcome games.?.
  3. Subscriber LEUR
    TEXAS
    29 Jul '13 21:36
    Originally posted by LEUR
    Say R, how come my message thingy doesn't seem to work in my Welcome games.?.
    Okay, seems okay now. Must be operator error.
  4. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    30 Jul '13 00:26
    I notice we have 17 greeters signed up, and almost all of them have games going already. Obviously worth the effort, Russ.
  5. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    04 Aug '13 09:02
    This has been very enlightening. I've had two who disappeared without making a move, others who made one move only.

    Perhaps, Russ, you could consider making a Guest login available so that people could look around the site and try an unrated game, without the overhead.
  6. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    05 Aug '13 14:53
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    This has been very enlightening. I've had two who disappeared without making a move, others who made one move only.

    Perhaps, Russ, you could consider making a Guest login available so that people could look around the site and try an unrated game, without the overhead.
    The Suggestion probably belongs to Site Ideas?
  7. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    05 Aug '13 23:52
    I think it was there first.
  8. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    10 Aug '13 02:22
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    This has been very enlightening. I've had two who disappeared without making a move, others who made one move only.

    Perhaps, Russ, you could consider making a Guest login available so that people could look around the site and try an unrated game, without the overhead.
    This has happened to me, too.
  9. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    29 Aug '13 08:23
    It's becoming painfully obvious that many of the new arrivals think it's a blitz site.
  10. 14 Oct '13 19:04
    Once I was a newby,
    but thankfully not anymore.
    People were abusive to me.
    The clan forum I did ignore.

    It was really so unpleasant,
    it was like world war three.
    How could they treat me like a peasant
    and be so horrible to me?

    So now I've left the public fora,
    it's private clubs for me.
    No more Tora Tora Tora!
    Guns blazing in vitriolic misery.

    I pity any newbies
    that come on here right now.
    It's a real kick in the doobies,
    to see veterans acting like a sow.
  11. 15 Oct '13 08:00
    I have had 6 games (1 in progress) with newcomers.
    3 progressed and 3 went basically nowhere. Perhaps 50% is the ratio to expect?

    What have other greeters found?

    nobody seems to want to chat at the start of the game, but i do get a response nearer the end.
    one guy went on to play 30+ games but i think he has played out for a while as he is not playing now.

    if the blitz site gets up and running again (and i think it just has) then its probably worth pointing that out in one of the early messages.
  12. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    16 Oct '13 22:41
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Once I was a newby,
    but thankfully not anymore.
    People were abusive to me.
    The clan forum I did ignore.

    It was really so unpleasant,
    it was like world war three.
    How could they treat me like a peasant
    and be so horrible to me?

    So now I've left the public fora,
    it's private clubs for me.
    No more Tora Tora Tora!
    Guns blazing i ...[text shortened]... come on here right now.
    It's a real kick in the doobies,
    to see veterans acting like a sow.
    I think the final line should read "to see some veterans acting like a sow"