1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    28 Sep '21 10:40
    Haven't happened since I subscribed to the site.

What happened??

Would it be more effective to simply work it like a team tournament that starts as soon as it is full?

If it was structured like an Octet it would just start once the eighth team was added. You could even give it a rating range like a tournament. Average TER must be within...

If tournaments in clubs are thriving borrow from the model that is working??
  2. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    03 Oct '21 19:21
    @Relentless-Red clan leagues was too much of a distraction, i don't think it really worked well, you'd enter a team and then that team would be automatically matched up against the others regardless of ratings, you'd get some huge rating differences, i had 1300 players up against 1900 players so it was never going to work
  3. Victor, New York
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 18:34
    @Wycombe-Al What if we created a league? Let's say we have six existing clans in the league. We can have a schedule, say each team plays each other team once. Each team could set the players with the home team having the final say. Restriction would be that each player has to be within 150 points of the other using a set parameter. (Average last year or something else.) Obviously it would end up not being programmed as I doubt Russ would take the time. Would there be any interest?
    Or, as it just occurs to me, the top four teams in the clan standing at the end of the year play each other for the "playoff" title. The games would be set up with 1 day, zero timeout parameter so they finish quickly enough. If one team has clearly won the match, they would move on not minding if all the individual games were finished. Set up of match would be as in previous paragraph.
    Any interest in that?
    Just musing.
    Larry
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 18:58
    @lstcyr said
    @Wycombe-Al What if we created a league? Let's say we have six existing clans in the league. We can have a schedule, say each team plays each other team once. Each team could set the players with the home team having the final say. Restriction would be that each player has to be within 150 points of the other using a set parameter. (Average last year or something else.) Obviou ...[text shortened]... shed. Set up of match would be as in previous paragraph.
    Any interest in that?
    Just musing.
    Larry
    I like this idea.

Rather than matching ratings for individual players it might be easier for the clan to come up with a team of four with an agreed average TER for the four or within 100 points of the agreed average?
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Oct '21 21:57
    @lstcyr said
    @Wycombe-Al What if we created a league? Let's say we have six existing clans in the league. We can have a schedule, say each team plays each other team once. Each team could set the players with the home team having the final say. Restriction would be that each player has to be within 150 points of the other using a set parameter. (Average last year or something else.) Obviou ...[text shortened]... shed. Set up of match would be as in previous paragraph.
    Any interest in that?
    Just musing.
    Larry
    Would this be in addition to the Clan Challenges Larry?

Sounds interesting!

-VR
  6. Victor, New York
    Moves
    06 Oct '21 03:47
    @Very-Rusty yes, this would be a version of the league.
  7. Victor, New York
    Moves
    06 Oct '21 03:49
    @Relentless-Red I like this but each clan is so different. I challenge some clans and my top 4 match up against their 6-9 playerS (as an example). Not sure some of the clans would like their top 4 sidelined.
  8. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Oct '21 13:11
    @lstcyr said
    @Relentless-Red I like this but each clan is so different. I challenge some clans and my top 4 match up against their 6-9 playerS (as an example). Not sure some of the clans would like their top 4 sidelined.
    Maybe both formula in parallel. Just as the site has some tournaments with rating ranges and some that are just open, both seem popular.

Clans might not like it if they can't use their best player, but that is often true when setting up a challenge. If you use an average you can at least use your best player as long as you are prepared to field a weak player as well to get the average right.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Oct '21 14:30
    @lstcyr said
    What if it was mixed up so between the 4 players the rating averaged out to a range that was decided upon what ever that may be. Then you have higher rated and lower rated players involved?

-VR
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Oct '21 18:13
    @very-rusty said
    What if it was mixed up so between the 4 players the rating averaged out to a range that was decided upon what ever that may be. Then you have higher rated and lower rated players involved?

-VR
    Exactly.

Also because you can arrive at the average via many different combinations of 4 it's easier for every clan to enter a team rather than needing to match up each individual player.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 16:37
    @relentless-red said
    Exactly.

Also because you can arrive at the average via many different combinations of 4 it's easier for every clan to enter a team rather than needing to match up each individual player.
    We need a list of how many would be interested.

I know I would be.

-VR
  12. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:23
    @Very-Rusty i also would be
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 09:23
    @wycombe-al said
    @Very-Rusty i also would be
    Maybe if two more clan leaders express an interest it's worth taking to site ideas?
  14. Victor, New York
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 18:40
    @Relentless-Red Popeye is up for it
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 13:442 edits
    I'm happy to explore any ideas.

Currently, I'm planning to "sunset" (retire) the clan leagues as they stand now. All code adds complexity and a maintenance overhead, so if it isn't really used, it is helpful to throw it away.

Something less ambitious in scope that can function with fewer clans participating would be ideal initially.

edit : We can do this by thrashing out a few ideas with sticking points going to a vote.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree