1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '19 03:39
    @caesar-salad said
    Did you have a clear view of the sky tonight?
    Whoosh.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    10 May '19 05:32

Removed by poster

3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 May '19 09:493 edits
    @mghrn55

It appears that ‘the usual suspects’ are gaming the system again. I support the proposal to de-couple clan ratings from tournament ratings.

I am less sure about the effectiveness of punitive measures. Punitive measures were implemented last time this sort of thing happened, and we have had only a temporary respite. Even a permanent site ban would not prevent the miscreants from returning under different names/accounts and gaming the system again.

I support continuous monitoring of suspicious activity, possibly with some sort of moderation or adjudication and authority to rectify obvious manipulation of the system.
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 May '19 13:361 edit
    @moonbus said
    @mghrn55

It appears that ‘the usual suspects’ are gaming the system again. I support the proposal to de-couple clan ratings from tournament ratings.

I am less sure about the effectiveness of punitive measures. Punitive measures were implemented last time this sort of thing happened, and we have had only a temporary respite. Even a permanent site ban would not prevent th ...[text shortened]... some sort of moderation or adjudication and authority to rectify obvious manipulation of the system.
    Point taken.
    But there has to be some sort of punitive measure.
    If not a player ban, then at least a penalty at the clan level.
    Perhaps a clan suspension.
    Or even better, some sort of recalculation that adjusts a clan's point total by removing the results that involve a clan player whose activities are deemed to be damaging to the clan feature.

In fact this was done before. In 2016 !!
    The player involved if I recall correctly was Mctayto !!

I'm sure Russ still has his software routine handy at his fingertips. πŸ™‚
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 May '19 16:131 edit
    Perhaps this is an issue that more Clan Leaders should involve themselves with.

-VR
  6. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    10 May '19 18:581 edit
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Every player in that sad clan should be booted..
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    10 May '19 19:34
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    I agree -- but I also wonder why more of them haven't yet, especially the page-one Clan Leaders.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    10 May '19 20:451 edit
    @roma45 said
    Every player in that sad clan should be booted..
    Seems unfair to boot Fagarasi and Padger and the others who haven't even played for Clan X.

What would be the rationale? Dissent? Tweaking noses? Guilt by association?

That would be incongruous, if the quest really is for greater fairness in the clan system.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 May '19 07:22
    @caesar-salad said
    Seems unfair to boot Fagarasi and Padger and the others who haven't even played for Clan X.

That would be incongruous, if the quest really is for greater fairness in the clan system.
    No.

Conspiracy.
  10. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    11 May '19 10:05
    @caesar-salad said

Fly with the crows
    Get shot with the crows.
    Greater fairness? .players like mcgayto do not know the meaning of fair play.
    Everyone in there should never be allowed to play again.
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 May '19 14:151 edit
    @caesar-salad said
    @mghrn55

Thank goodness you are here to question Russ's decisions and advise him how to run the site. Please carry on.
    Russ encourages feedback, which strikes me as prudent and wise. He has a forum for site ideas, and even the forums themselves indicate a high level of openness.
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 May '19 15:37
    @paul-leggett said
    Russ encourages feedback, which strikes me as prudent and wise. He has a forum for site ideas, and even the forums themselves indicate a high level of openness.
    You come across as thoughtful and level headed.
    I appreciate and welcome your participation in these forums.
    I presume you read in site ideas and announcements ?
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 May '19 17:25
    @mghrn55 said
    You come across as thoughtful and level headed.
    I appreciate and welcome your participation in these forums.
    I presume you read in site ideas and announcements ?
    I don't check site ideas or announcements as often as I should. I mostly stick to the chess forum, but I check the other forums every now and then as the mood strikes.
  14. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 May '19 20:59
    @paul-leggett said
    I don't check site ideas or announcements as often as I should. I mostly stick to the chess forum, but I check the other forums every now and then as the mood strikes.
    I got 2 thumbs down for corresponding with you.
    I guess I'm being too nice. πŸ˜†
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    11 May '19 22:20
    @divegeester said
    Whoosh.
    They're called meteors. πŸ˜‰

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree