Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 09 Dec '08 20:51
    Go to youtube, type in Trees Pretty Polly.

    Listen.

    Trained opera singer, singing the famous Pretty Polly to banjo, bass and simple perscussion. Sudden transition to incredible mind blowing psychedelic blues rock.

    That band, Trees, were truly amazing. Check them out. The CDs are available.
  2. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    10 Dec '08 06:36
    Originally posted by znsho
    Go to youtube, type in Trees Pretty Polly.

    Listen.

    Trained opera singer, singing the famous Pretty Polly to banjo, bass and simple perscussion. Sudden transition to incredible mind blowing psychedelic blues rock.

    That band, Trees, were truly amazing. Check them out. The CDs are available.
    Pretty amazing! Thanks
  3. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    10 Dec '08 07:41
    instruments are too quiet....they get drowned out by the singer. Has potential
  4. 10 Dec '08 16:27
    Originally posted by uzless
    instruments are too quiet....they get drowned out by the singer. Has potential
    It was a demo.
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    13 Dec '08 05:41 / 12 edits
    Originally posted by znsho
    It was a demo.
    A: He's full of crap, the voice was fine, B: Too bad they are from 1970, I would like to have heard them live. Compare them to Steeleye Span:
    YouTube&feature=related
    These are some of the best from the great Maddy Prior, some of her famous songs with Steeleye:

    Here is there All around my Hat, also their first video demo:
    YouTube&feature=related

    Listen to this: Black Jack Davy, also live:
    YouTube&feature=related

    Another great one, Mary Gray by Maddy
    YouTube&feature=related

    Maddy Prior and another great one, June Tabor together as 'Silly Sisters'
    The Grey Funnel Line:
    YouTube&feature=related

    Here they are doing Doffing Mistress:
    YouTube&feature=related

    If you ever heard of the Watersons, here is a very early black and white video of them on the road:
    YouTube&feature=related

    What the Watersons are doing now, 2nd generation: Eliza Carthy ( daughter of the great Martin Carthy) singing with the Watersons and with her father also, on stage:
    The Raggle Taggle Gypsies, live
    YouTube&feature=related

    Father and Daughter together live:
    YouTube&NR=1

    Tribute to Eliza Carthy:
    YouTube&feature=related
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    13 Dec '08 07:06 / 3 edits
    Here are some of the best of the Americans:
    Doc Watson, Ricky Skaggs and Allison Kraus singing together in a rare cut:
    Down in the Valley to Pray:
    I first heard Doc sing this on one of his albums from around 1965 and he hasn't stopped yet, an american treasure.
    YouTube&feature=related

    Doc and Jack Lawrence doing Tennesee stud:
    YouTube&feature=related

    Doc and David Holt doing a couple of old timey tunes:
    The thing that is so great about Doc is his ability to hang back when another lead takes over and you hear it clearly here:
    YouTube&feature=related

    Doc doesn't just do guitar, here he is with David on harp and hambone:
    YouTube&feature=related
  7. 13 Dec '08 09:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    A: He's full of crap, the voice was fine, B: Too bad they are from 1970, I would like to have heard them live. Compare them to Steeleye Span:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBZ8v9L8444&feature=related
    These are some of the best from the great Maddy Prior, some of her famous songs with Steeleye:

    Here is there All around my Hat, also their first video de ...[text shortened]... &NR=1

    Tribute to Eliza Carthy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJV-GRQS2Hc&feature=related
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3QC2av7-_Ik
  8. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    13 Dec '08 14:11 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Pawn Qween
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3QC2av7-_Ik
    I think I saw Martin and Eliza in that group, right? Also maybe Dave Swarbrick? Totally international for sure, Sitar, Guitar, Cello, Citern, couple of fiddles, that Arabic(?) drummer, regular drums, electric bass and singers. Looks like they were having fun!
    Here they are doing "Hard times in old England" and I think I see the distinctive voice of Billy Bragg in this one, don't know if he is a regular on tour with them or not. Do you know anything about them, how long they have been performing as Imagined Villiage and who is that lady Sitar player?
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3IyMnKrlk&feature=related
    I also found this great Pentangle video from 1968! Jacquie McShee, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Danny Thompson, Terry Cox.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RwT0COKXFMM&feature=related
    Here is a Wiki piece about the lineup of Pentangle:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentangle_(band)#Formation_of_the_original_line-up
  9. 13 Dec '08 19:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think I saw Martin and Eliza in that group, right? Also maybe Dave Swarbrick? Totally international for sure, Sitar, Guitar, Cello, Citern, couple of fiddles, that Arabic(?) drummer, regular drums, electric bass and singers. Looks like they were having fun!
    Here they are doing "Hard times in old England" and I think I see the distinctive voice of Billy ...[text shortened]... f Pentangle:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentangle_(band)#Formation_of_the_original_line-up
    Yes, Martin and Eliza Carthy are there, and Chris Wood.
    I saw this performance on "Later With Jools Holland" and thought it was amazing, a fantastic piece of Asian Fusion. I would love to see them play live.
    The sitar player is Sheema Mukherjee, of Transglobal Underground, and the bhangra drummer is Johnny Kalsi.
    They have a website -

    http://www.imaginedvillage.com/
  10. 13 Dec '08 22:21
    Sonhouse - two points:

    1) I agree they were influenced by Fairport etc, but Trees in many ways invented 'Folk-Psychedelic-Rock' as opposed to 'Folk-Rock'.

    2) They may be from the 70s but they can still play! There re-release contains a new studio track called Black Widow. Listen to it. All the original talent is still there. I really wish Trees would reform and play Cropredy.
  11. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Dec '08 14:12
    Originally posted by znsho
    Sonhouse - two points:

    1) I agree they were influenced by Fairport etc, but Trees in many ways invented 'Folk-Psychedelic-Rock' as opposed to 'Folk-Rock'.

    2) They may be from the 70s but they can still play! There re-release contains a new studio track called Black Widow. Listen to it. All the original talent is still there. I really wish Trees would reform and play Cropredy.
    From what I read about Trees is they lacked commitment and broke up after only a couple of albums, so maybe they have that back now.
  12. 14 Dec '08 15:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    From what I read about Trees is they lacked commitment and broke up after only a couple of albums, so maybe they have that back now.
    I really recommend you find On the Shore - you will be in for a very pleasant surprise, especially Streets of Derry and Sally Free and Easy. That LP rivals Unhalfbricking and Lieg and Lief.
  13. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Dec '08 17:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by znsho
    I really recommend you find On the Shore - you will be in for a very pleasant surprise, especially Streets of Derry and Sally Free and Easy. That LP rivals Unhalfbricking and Lieg and Lief.
    Where can I hear them? I don't think you can get them in the US.
    Have you listened to the links I gave about Steeleye and Pentangle?
    Bert Jansch put out a ground breaking record in 1963 that I and a million other budding guitarists tried to emulate, the record called "Lucky Thirteen"
    at least in the US. Ever hear it? It was around the time that Pentangle was starting up, a bit before maybe.
  14. 14 Dec '08 19:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Where can I hear them? I don't think you can get them in the US.
    Have you listened to the links I gave about Steeleye and Pentangle?
    Bert Jansch put out a ground breaking record in 1963 that I and a million other budding guitarists tried to emulate, the record called "Lucky Thirteen"
    at least in the US. Ever hear it? It was around the time that Pentangle was starting up, a bit before maybe.
    You can buy On The Shore online (e.g. DVD.co.uk or play.com). You tube has some of their stuff - go to you tube and search On the Shore Trees.

    I have most of the Steeleye Span and Pentangle etc stuff on vinyl. I was, and still am, a great fan of the folk-rock scene. Richard Thompson is the star.
  15. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    15 Dec '08 20:05
    Originally posted by znsho
    You can buy On The Shore online (e.g. DVD.co.uk or play.com). You tube has some of their stuff - go to you tube and search On the Shore Trees.

    I have most of the Steeleye Span and Pentangle etc stuff on vinyl. I was, and still am, a great fan of the folk-rock scene. Richard Thompson is the star.
    Pentangle on Vinyl. Nice, I have most of their stuff on vinyl also. Do you have Bert Jansch Lucky Thirteen by any chance? I still have my original and then found a second copy at Princeton Record Exchange in New Jersey, a great little shop.