1. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 22:51
    My concert band puts on a themed concert each spring planned by the seniors. This year they decided the theme is going to be "British Music through the Ages" We so far have the following on the program:

First Suite in E-Flat--Gustav Holst
    Engilsh Folk Song Suite--Ralph Vaughn Williams
    Brittania--a medley of "Rule Brittania", "O God, Our Help in Ages Past", "Girl from Amsterdam", and another I can't quite remember.
    The London Symphony by F.J. Haydn
    We're also playing a few more modern pieces including "Imagine" by John Lennon, "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton, "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. We also have a great arrangement of "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin, but we played it last year.

I am looking for other suggestions from anyone across the pond. Folk music suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

np
  2. Joined
    22 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 23:571 edit
    I recommend Matty Groves (The Old ballad of Little Musgrave and the Lady Barnard).
    A tragic song about a man murdering his unfaithful wife and her lover. A fine Brit folk.
  3. the highway to hell
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 15:04
    dont do imagine, its too hackneyed, do lennon's instant karma http://youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4 or working class hero instead. same with led zeppelin, dont do stairway, do something like kashmir instead. or how about some small faces? eg
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=5pPCYlYWO6w
    😵😵😵😵😵
  4. The sky
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 15:07
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    My concert band puts on a themed concert each spring planned by the seniors. This year they decided the theme is going to be "British Music through the Ages" We so far have the following on the program:

First Suite in E-Flat--Gustav Holst
    Engilsh Folk Song Suite--Ralph Vaughn Williams
    Brittania--a medley of "Rule Brittania", "O God, Our Help in Age ...[text shortened]... cross the pond. Folk music suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

np
    You need some Britten in there!
  5. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 15:59
    The London Symphony by Haydn is not British, just as the Oxford Symphony by Haydn is not British. Try the London Symphony by Vaughn Williams.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 17:27
    Flower of Scotland by the Corries
  7. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 17:33
    How about something by Handel such as the Royal Fireworks Music? Can you "Handel" it? 🙄
  8. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 18:29
    Yes, we did know that, however we were also looking for music inspired by Britain. Plus, my kids really enjoyed playing it. It's probably their favorite piece so far for this program.
  9. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 18:29
    We've also got a couple of Vaughn Williams pieces on, but thanks for the suggestion.
  10. the highway to hell
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 20:391 edit
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    We've also got a couple of Vaughn Williams pieces on, but thanks for the suggestion.
    We'll Meet Again, the historic famous wartime classic, summons up the wartime spirit in Britain, seems to me a true British song, by Vera Lynn
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree