1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 00:44
    Originally posted by vivify
    He's a great character actor, but not really a good writer. He had the help of good writers back on SNL, but if he's taking control of a project, he's not very funny.
    You mean like that great comedy 'My Girl'?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 19:10
    Carrey is way funnier than Williams. Not just in movies either, but also during interviews. Carrey's also more talented. Jim's movies are also much better than any movie Robin stars in. There's no comparison. When it comes to comedy, it likes like Robin's just trying to hard. He thinks just having maniacal crazy energy equals being funny.

The best ...[text shortened]... ies like the Godfather and Citizen Cane. I don't think Williams has any movies in Ebert's list.
    If I had to put a Robin Williams movie on that list, I'd probably be torn between What Dreams May Come and Bicentennial Man.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 19:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    There is one American comedy I thought stood out above the rest:

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Michael Caine, Steve Martin, Glenne Headly. There was a lot of subtle humor in it. The last scene where she comes up guiding a bunch of capitalists looking for an investment was priceless.

Of course that was a quarter century ago but still, it holds up well I think.
    Another movie I thought Steve Martin was spectacular in was Roxanne. Some subtle intellectual humor in there and the "20 Something Better's" scene in the bar was a hoot.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 19:362 edits
    Robin Williams has never made me laugh. However, I have enjoyed many of his dramatic films.

As far as physical comedy goes, Jim Carrey can make me laugh. Then again I ahve a soft spot for Dumb and Dumber and Me, Myself and Irene.

Dan Aykroyd is okay.

Steve Martin is great.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 23:05
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Robin Williams has never made me laugh. However, I have enjoyed many of his dramatic films.

As far as physical comedy goes, Jim Carrey can make me laugh. Then again I ahve a soft spot for Dumb and Dumber and Me, Myself and Irene.

Dan Aykroyd is okay.

Steve Martin is great.
    I prefer humor that is a little more highbrow. I guess that's why I like Steve Martin. Most Jim Carrey movies are just too juvenile for me, I guess. Like The Mask. Hated it. Ditto the Ace Ventura movies. But Bruce Almighty I thought was funny.
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 07:55
    As far as I know, there's no "Best Drama" Oscar award either. I don't think Oscars are given out by genre.
    Rec'd!

(We still say this around here?)
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '10
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 02:57
    Enjoyable thread. But it got sidetracked onto a Williams vs Carey discussion. Quite frankly calling either of them comedic geniuses is well, overstated. They've both had successes and failures, but I'd much rather watch Carey in an interview or just hang out with him. Williams is easily the superior dramatic actor by a mile, IMHO.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '10
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 02:57
    Old Bill Murray is funnier than all three of them combined. :-)
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 01:52
    I've recorded The Curse of the Jade Scorpion. Will be interesting to see Ackroyd in action. I think the last thing I saw him in was possibly Sneakers.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 04:281 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I've recorded The Curse of the Jade Scorpion. Will be interesting to see Ackroyd in action. I think the last thing I saw him in was possibly Sneakers.
    The Jade Scorpion was noone's finest hour. Especially Ackroyd's, sadly. At least it was good-natured and caused me to chuckle once or twice.

Leads: Woody Allen, Helen Hunt
    Supporting: Acky, Charlize Theron, others

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree