Musicians: Audio mixer for tablets!:

Musicians: Audio mixer for tablets!:

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Aug 13

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/8/22/mixer_and_multichannel_audio_interface_for.htm

This is from Alesis, well known in the audio world. I have an Alesis mixer and some audio processors from them, very good electronics.

I started recording first with a 4 track 10" reel 15 IPS Teac tape deck and it recorded REALLY well! Then a PC with outboard mixers and I/O's and such. Then I ported the recording to a laptop, mixer, I/O, mikes, mike stand, cables, earphones and software and that was that.

Now the same thing can be ported to a tablet! Probably 24 bit 96K recording capability, will see when the spec sheet comes out.

The thing about all that is you can do recording, mixdown, editing and all on the tablet.

The only thing left is an output recording medium. My laptop has a CD burner built in so you could go from raw audio to mixdown to final editing to a CD all in the laptop with such software paks as Cakewalk Sonar, which has a BUNCH of processors, reverb, echo, flange, EQ and so forth built in and then WaveLab which does the final mixdown and post production final editing and then to the CD burner.

So the tablet is not the final answer, it still has to go back to the studio to finish up but for portability, it is hard to beat because of the software available that you can't get with the hand held recorders.

On the other hand, if the tablet has a USB port, you can do a final mix to a flash drive and that might be the next wave in audio playback. My car has a flash drive port.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 13
3 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/8/22/mixer_and_multichannel_audio_interface_for.htm

This is from Alesis, well known in the audio world. I have an Alesis mixer and some audio processors from them, very good electronics.

I started recording first with a 4 track 10" reel 15 IPS Teac tape deck and it recorded REALLY well! Then a PC with outboard mixe flash drive and that might be the next wave in audio playback. My car has a flash drive port.
open source software takes care of almost everything, ditch windows or Mac OS, in open source there is a program called JACK which serves as a very low latency server for connecting different devices together, you can also get free recording software, software mixers, mastering software, plugins, anything. I will never go back to windows ever, its just so rubbish.

All i have now is a mixing desk and an M-Audio 24/96 audiophile sound card in my PC which i use for making chess videos, it runs under Linux perfectly and i have much more control over the channels than i did under windows, I can record on a laptop with my EMU 1616M, but my laptop tends to whine when the fan kicks in, which i don't like.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Sep 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
open source software takes care of almost everything, ditch windows or Mac OS, in open source there is a program called JACK which serves as a very low latency server for connecting different devices together, you can also get free recording software, software mixers, mastering software, plugins, anything. I will never go back to windows ever, its j ...[text shortened]... ptop with my EMU 1616M, but my laptop tends to whine when the fan kicks in, which i don't like.
A tablet would take care of that problem, just record to the SSD. I have been looking for a 'studio in a briefcase' for a long time. About 10 years ago I found this computer the size of a 3X5 post card, very expensive, $800, so I got it and took an LCD screen and pushed the case out far enough to shoehorn in a HD and that computer card. But when I fired up the card, it was DOA. I demanded my money back and they gave it to me and I just bought a PC, XP using Cakewalk Sonar and that made really great recordings, I had a Hammerfall I/O which did not have mic preamps but I had a decent mixer and used that combo to make some nice recordings. Next trick was getting a laptop, again with the XP and then got an M audio IO with two mic preamps, put cakewalk on the lap and had a nice compact rig, almost my studio in a briefcase. But now with tablets and a nice IO with preamps built in, you can get the best of good software and great recording quality. I know there are the handheld recorders but they would not be as versatile as a tablet with good software, whether linux or windows. What version of linux do you record with? I get really low latency with just XP and a good IO, haven't found any problems using windows. What advantages do you find over XP or other windows?