1. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 14:16
    A thread to celebrate 'the scene that celebrates itself' ;-)

Anyone into My Bloody Valentine, Chapterhouse, Swervedriver, Slowdive, Lush and the rest? Or is it all too long ago...?
  2. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 18:41
    Ah, Ironmonkey, we clearly grew up in similar fashion...
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 20:47
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    A thread to celebrate 'the scene that celebrates itself' ;-)

Anyone into My Bloody Valentine, Chapterhouse, Swervedriver, Slowdive, Lush and the rest? Or is it all too long ago...?
    Lush (Spooky and Gala albums only), Pale Saints (In Ribbons), Chapterhouse (Whirlpool), Cocteau Twins (various, including Heaven & Las Vegas, and Four Calender Cafe); some Ride; Curve (Doppleganger); some Catherine Wheel; etc.

The late 1980s and early 1990s was an extremely fruitful period for "alternative" pop/rock music. The odious term "shoegazer" seems to have derived from a highly transitory visual style associated with a handful of videos and thence derisively misapplied to an entire genre. I believe the motto which appeared on some of the 4AD albums was "Scene but not herd".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_4xMR7mYPWU
  4. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 23:15
    Indeed. It's like 'post-rock' over in the other thread, I'd add The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine to your list. MBV are due to have a new album out, if rumours are to be believed...
  5. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 06:03
    Originally posted by DrKF
    MBV are due to have a new album out, if rumours are to be believed...
    Yeah i keep hearing that rumour - hope there's something in it.
  6. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 06:05
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Lush (Spooky and Gala albums only), Pale Saints (In Ribbons), Chapterhouse (Whirlpool), Cocteau Twins (various, including Heaven & Las Vegas, and Four Calender Cafe); some Ride; Curve (Doppleganger); some Catherine Wheel; etc.

The late 1980s and early 1990s was an extremely fruitful period for "alternative" pop/rock music. The odious term "shoegazer ...[text shortened]... me of the 4AD albums was "Scene but not herd".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_4xMR7mYPWU
    i like early Ride - the EPs collected on Smile, and Nowhere. find it hard to get into Cocteau Twins and Curve. How about Lush's Split? Catherine Wheel are ok i think, but i don't like Black Metallic much.
  7. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 06:06
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Ah, Ironmonkey, we clearly grew up in similar fashion...
    sound like it :-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree