1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 May '11 07:03
    I just watched the old Japanese movie (1957) Battle in Outer Space for the first time since I was a kid. The special effects and film making are actually better than I remembered.

And as I'm watching the rocket ships battle the horseshoe crab saucers in space, it occurred to me that this may have been the first depiction of an outer space battle.

Earth vs. Flying Saucers and War of the Worlds took place on Earth. Even the early Flash Gordon ship to ship battles took place within planetary atmospheres. Can anyone remember an earlier space battle?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:00
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I just watched the old Japanese movie (1957) Battle in Outer Space for the first time since I was a kid. The special effects and film making are actually better than I remembered.

And as I'm watching the rocket ships battle the horseshoe crab saucers in space, it occurred to me that this may have been the first depiction of an outer space battle.

Eart ...[text shortened]... battles took place within planetary atmospheres. Can anyone remember an earlier space battle?
    Buzz Corey, Commander in chief of the SPACE PATROL!
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Jun '11 10:37
    Originally posted by Kunsoo

Eart ...[text shortened]... battles took place within planetary atmospheres. Can anyone remember an earlier space battle?
    Memory is hazy, but I think there were a couple of space battles in the original series of Flash Gordon which was '54 & '55.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    13 Jun '11 17:49
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Memory is hazy, but I think there were a couple of space battles in the original series of Flash Gordon which was '54 & '55.
    They were all inside atmospheres, visible from the ground.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree