1. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 May '10 18:20
    this person ran up 100K in student loans at a prestigious NY university. loans she has little chance of paying back, unless she hits the lottery or marries someone rich.

now, who is to blame for her predicament?

herself?

her mom? (who cosigned the loans and didn't warn her)

the Federal agencies who made the initial loans?

the school's student aid dept?

Citibank, for making the final loan?

they save the punchline (her choice of degree) for a few paragraphs from the end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/your-money/student-loans/29money.html?src=me&ref=general
  2. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    30 May '10 18:471 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    this person ran up 100K in student loans at a prestigious NY university. loans she has little chance of paying back, unless she hits the lottery or marries someone rich.

herself?

the school's stud ...[text shortened]...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/your-money/student-loans/29money.html?src=me&ref=general
    It is scandalous that such cases are allowed to arise, especially as the subjects in which she apparently graduated are hardly likely to be of any use whatsoever in helping her to obtain even a moderately well-paid job.
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    30 May '10 19:26
    She can join the army. The student loan repayment program. That should cover about 60K of it.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 May '10 19:32
    Mom.
  5. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    30 May '10 21:473 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Mom.
    And the modern 'culture' which encourages the notion that everyone, withoiut excepion, who wishes to study for a university degree must be allowed to indulge that wish, if at all possible, regardless of the subject matter under consideration.
    I have not yet heard of a 'masters' in playing tiddlywinks, but should be not very surprised were I to read of some sink 'university' offering one if demanded by a sufficient number of would-be graduates.
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 May '10 22:46
    "Mom" was widowed when her daughter was 13 and is not looking forward to the prospect of selling her livelihood (a bed and breakfast) for the loans she cosigned.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 May '10 22:53
    interdisciplinary degree in religious and women’s studies

Sigh.

I guess her training did not succeed in getting past the glass ceiling that those evil Protestant men use to keep wimmin down.
  8. Joined
    15 Sep '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 13:45
    Her fualt. Nobody made her sign the loans. She know she was getting a loan, which enturns mean you own the money back.
  9. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 18:59
    Good lord! Her combined major is only useful if her career choice is to be the head of a women's religious order, which she can't even join while she's in debt. She can teach either subject, but otherwise she has no marketable skills to show for her investment. It's possible she got an excellent education, which leads to the question of the purpose of an education. I personally do believe that a college education should be available to anyone who wants it and has the skills to succeed in college. But think, people! So I blame the girl and her mom both. There are a number of thought systems that include the belief "start with the end in mind." In this case, what do you want to be when you grow up? What coursework or training do you need to get there? NOT "let's go to college and see what happens when it's over!"
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 21:11
    "She can teach either subject", but what is the waiting list like for those jobs, esp. with the oldsters all on tenure?
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 02:461 edit

herself?

In the end, the one making the loan is the one ultimately responsible for being stupid.

Can you say, "Default"?
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 05:29
    a news article i read the other day (maybe even this one) said it's a lot harder to default on student loans than it is on house loans. maybe student loans are excluded from bankruptcy, even.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 06:00
    Always look on the bright side, she has learned a lesson better than anything in her degree.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 00:47

herself?

Barry can make all things better. Let him fix her issue after he gets done opening a case of whoop-donkey on BP.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 02:07
    a news article i read the other day (maybe even this one) said it's a lot harder to default on student loans than it is on house loans. maybe student loans are excluded from bankruptcy, even.
    It is much harder. Not only do student loans not count in bankruptcy, but they can garnish your wages and take any federal tax refunds from you when you default.

Defaulting student loans is almost always a bad idea, but then if you can't pay you can't pay.

Most likely this girl's lenders will work with her to come up with a repayment plan that she can afford (sort of).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree