https://www.studyfinds.org/change-lightbulb-household-chores-study/

How can this be?
  2. RSA
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 14:36
    Originally posted by Eladar

How can this be?
    1/2 americans voted for Trump. How can this be?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 15:01

How can this be?
    The real question is how many could work out how if they had to. Knowing how to change a light-bulb simply reflects whether you have had to do so before.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 15:06

How can this be?
    On the surface this appears to be a really crappy article, but I looked into it and it was commissioned by AVIVA insurance and the methodology seems well constructed.

However, it's all viral marketing for AVIVA I think the "changing the light bulb" piece is the viral trigger point. I simply don't believe the statistic and if you look at the rest of the survey it stands out as being particularity incongruent with what is quite a believable piece of market research.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 15:09
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The real question is how many could work out how if they had to. Knowing how to change a light-bulb simply reflects whether you have had to do so before.
    In addition to my point below yours, there is also quite a difference in changing one of these new tiny led type bulbs with simple fragile twin spiked connectors and the typical bayonet type. The former I admit to having to do quite a bit of research into to ensure I get the correct type and wattage etc.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 15:18

How can this be?
    One, it's a survey.
    Two, people have no concept of time, even when they are answering truthfully.

According to the analysis, men self-report spending just short of three hours more than women engaged in non-career related work tasks.
    So either guys are super inefficient, are exaggerating their input (what?!? Guys exaggerating something? That's unheard of!...), and/or women are under-reporting their own contributions.
    Or all of it.

I take surveys for Taco Bell on the rare occasion I frequent their drive-thru for some nearly food offerings.
    The inane questions they ask engender sarcasm or nonsensical responses, and I dutifully follow their lead.
    "You mentioned you were 'highly pleased' with your tacos. Why were you pleased?"
    'Because my tacos were highly pleasing.'

I believe the only correct answer to the question:
    "Are you able to change a light bulb without assistance?"
    is:
    'What's a light bulb?'

Thus, stupid out-stupid in.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 15:471 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In addition to my point below yours, there is also quite a difference in changing one of these new tiny led type bulbs with simple fragile twin spiked connectors and the typical bayonet type. The former I admit to having to do quite a bit of research into to ensure I get the correct type and wattage etc.
    To be sure, buying a light bulb is much harder than changing it. My house has a mix of screw fittings and bayonet fittings and I have always forgotten which I need by the time I get to the shop. In addition there is a wide range of choice in terms of brightness and colour.
    But then the new florescent and LED bulbs last so long its not exactly a common chore.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 16:29

How can this be?
    1 in 5 of the posters in this thread is exceptionally gullible.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 16:35
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    1 in 5 of the posters in this thread is exceptionally gullible.
    Joke's on you: there are six posters.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 17:58
    So you are sating that 20 percent of people in the UK have never needed to change a light bulb.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 18:001 edit
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    1/2 americans voted for Trump. How can this be?
    Don't forget the witch Hillary.

Never Hillary.

I'd vote for Stalin, Sadam or that guy in N Korea over Hillary.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 18:331 edit
    So you are sating that 20 percent of people in the UK have never needed to change a light bulb.
    It seems probable. Most households have one person that does things like that and everyone else just calls on them when required rather than figure it out for themselves. Women also tend to get guys to do such stuff even though in my experience they are just as capable. In my family it was my mum that did all the technical stuff. She rewired the whole house when I was a child, so that's when I learned all about electrical wiring etc. Division of labour is not unusual in marriage and I know of some men who claim they could not cook to save their lives. I knew one man who had been married 40 years or so and if his wife left for any length of time she would prepare all his meals for the days she would be away or he would have starved to death (or so they both claimed). He on the other hand was a university professor of electrical engineering so presumably changed the light bulbs.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 18:53
    It seems probable. Most households have one person that does things like that and everyone else just calls on them when required rather than figure it out for themselves. Women also tend to get guys to do such stuff even though in my experience they are just as capable. In my family it was my mum that did all the technical stuff. She rewired the whole hou ...[text shortened]... hand was a university professor of electrical engineering so presumably changed the light bulbs.
    We are talking adults here.

Everyone in my family, including my children, know how to change a light bulb.

Pretty helpless adult who must rely on others to change a light bulb.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 19:11
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Joke's on you: there are six posters.
    Count again Sherlock. Before my post there were only 5. 😵
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 19:13
    We are talking adults here.

Everyone in my family, including my children, know how to change a light bulb.

Pretty helpless adult who must rely on others to change a light bulb.
    Did you read my post in reply to your OP or are you just pretending I didn't write it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree