1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 22:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Just because there are few CEO jobs available doesn't mean that those who have the jobs are good at it. Most are mediocre at best, and the vast majority could be replaced by someone with more know-how making $100k. The skills you need to acquire a CEO job are very different from the skills you need to be a successful CEO, and only occasionally do the two coincide in the same person (Jack Welch is often cited as an example).
    You get no disagreement from me about the varying quality of work at every level. Also a poor performance from upper management has a far greater negative effect than a single bad production worker, although that tends to radiate as well.

I don't know if it still is true, but most upper level executives have at least an accounting background, and many are CPAs. Most line workers, and even middle managers simply don't have the tools. Some few may, and these would be better served to form their own concerns that to ply corporate ladders.

The simple truth is that most of the hierarchy of American business is based on longevity rather than performance.
  2. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 22:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sknt-UBRhxo&feature=youtu.be

Bernie Sanders calls out the biggest corporations who either paid no taxes or got huge tax refunds last year.

1. Exxon Mobil
    2. Bank of Americe
    3. General Electric
    4. Chevron
    5. Boeing
    6. Valero Energy
    7. Goldman Sachs
    8. Citigroup
    9. Conoco Phillips
    10. Carnival Cruise Lines

We'l ...[text shortened]... in tax refunds while balancing the resulting budget deficit on the backs of the working class.
    You blame the corporations like they aren't doing the same thing millions of regular joes do every year on their taxes. My dad works for cash all the time and doesn't report it. If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander. You should blame politicians who create loopholes in the tax code that allow these shenanigans. Why do you think corporations spend so much money on influence?
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 22:28
    Originally posted by dryhump
    You blame the corporations like they aren't doing the same thing millions of regular joes do every year on their taxes. My dad works for cash all the time and doesn't report it. If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander. You should blame politicians who create loopholes in the tax code that allow these shenanigans. Why do you think corporations spend so much money on influence?
    Yes, yes, yes! I would like to be the fly on the wall at H&R Block or any other tax preparer, and record how many people go in and ask the preparer to maximize his taxes. I'm betting not a single one.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 23:33
    The problem is legal loop holes. They were put into the system by politicians who were bought and paid for by the same companies who are using the loop holes.

Lower the tax rates and close all loop holes, including money made over seas.

Of course this will only do something good if the government learns to spend our money wisely.

I have the solution: raise more money and spend less. Do both and we'll be just fine. Failure to do either and all is lost.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 03:31
    Why aren't I doing what?

There are plenty of successful employee owned and operated companies in existence. Their numbers will continue to grow. They are the future.
    OK, so get the hell of the street and start one, and stop bitching about how unfair things are.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 03:35
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The problem is legal loop holes. They were put into the system by politicians who were bought and paid for by the same companies who are using the loop holes.

Lower the tax rates and close all loop holes, including money made over seas.

Of course this will only do something good if the government learns to spend our money wisely.

I have the soluti ...[text shortened]... e money and spend less. Do both and we'll be just fine. Failure to do either and all is lost.
    "I have the solution: raise more money and spend less. Do both and we'll be just fine. Failure to do either and all is lost."

Unfortunately, we have the historical record, and it shows that if we raise more revenue, it will get spent. Spending less doesn't go with raising more revenue.

"Lower the tax rates and close all loop holes, including money made over seas."

The last part will just drive more businesses out of the US to greener pastures. The lower rates and elimination of loopholes is the only way.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 03:45
    Originally posted by normbenign
    OK, so get the hell of the street and start one, and stop bitching about how unfair things are.
    You don't think unfair things should be complained about? Why is that?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 04:14
    "I have the solution: raise more money and spend less. Do both and we'll be just fine. Failure to do either and all is lost."

Unfortunately, we have the historical record, and it shows that if we raise more revenue, it will get spent. Spending less doesn't go with raising more revenue.

"Lower the tax rates and close all loop holes, including mone ...[text shortened]... the US to greener pastures. The lower rates and elimination of loopholes is the only way.
    What greener pastures?
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 21:34
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sknt-UBRhxo&feature=youtu.be

Bernie Sanders calls out the biggest corporations who either paid no taxes or got huge tax refunds last year.

1. Exxon Mobil
    2. Bank of Americe
    3. General Electric
    4. Chevron
    5. Boeing
    6. Valero Energy
    7. Goldman Sachs
    8. Citigroup
    9. Conoco Phillips
    10. Carnival Cruise Lines

We'l ...[text shortened]... in tax refunds while balancing the resulting budget deficit on the backs of the working class.
    Don't waste your breath. The're are millions in America that have been brainwashed into thinking that coddling these multi billion dollar corporations is somehow the right thing to do, and they in fact need still more tax breaks and loopholes. No amount of fact checks will change that.😞
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 21:46
    You don't think unfair things should be complained about? Why is that?
    You said you could do it. Then do it instead of complaining. I don't agree that things are unfair, or not more so than in the world in general. There is opportunity. You said so. Get busy and take advantage of it. Nobody's doing that camped out at Grand Circus Park.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 21:48
    Originally posted by bill718
    Don't waste your breath. The're are millions in America that have been brainwashed into thinking that coddling these multi billion dollar corporations is somehow the right thing to do, and they in fact need still more tax breaks and loopholes. No amount of fact checks will change that.😞
    There are also many Americans who always look to blame someone else. They don't do any fact checking either.
    🙄
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 23:33
    You said you could do it. Then do it instead of complaining. I don't agree that things are unfair, or not more so than in the world in general. There is opportunity. You said so. Get busy and take advantage of it. Nobody's doing that camped out at Grand Circus Park.
    I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 02:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What greener pastures?
    There are dozens of countries with lower corporate tax rates than the USA. The solution is to become competitive with those countries, encouraging repatriation of corporate profits.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 02:44
    I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.
    You wrote that there are many employee owned and run corporations. The one I'm vaguely familiar with is McClouth Steel, which used to operate somewhere downriver. It went bankrupt, and reorganized with employees as stockholders and management. That lasted about a year, maybe two.

Still I agree that a great business model is the truely small targeted enterprise, incorporated and run by the owner/worker. That opportunity is there for the taking. Just do it, as they say at Nike. You do know that Nike started with two track coaches making shoes in a garage or basement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree