Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 10 Dec '13 02:15
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/09/gaining-steam-nearly-100-lawmakers-descend-on-mount-vernon-to-talk-convention-of-states/

    100 some lawmakers descended upon Mt. Vernon to discuss the possibility of states forming a Constitutional convention to amend the Constitution apart from the Federal government. With a poll showing that 74% favor an a balanced budget amendment and 75% favor term limits, the time is now!

    For the first time in, not just the Progressive era, but the history of the US, states may impose their will on the federal government.
  2. 10 Dec '13 02:30
    Perhaps they should clarify, among other things, the nondelegation doctrine, the commerce clause, and the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments while they are at it.
  3. 10 Dec '13 02:34
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    Perhaps they should clarify, among other things, the nondelegation doctrine, the commerce clause, and the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments while they are at it.
    You don't want to complicate the process by tackling too much here.

    To make this work they must appeal to popular consent, which are the balanced budget issue and term limits.

    Most people don't even know there are commerce laws and a nondelegation doctrine, let alone trying to muster support behind such proposals.

    The key here is to set a precedent and make Congress pee their pants for the first time in US history. With a Congressional approval rating of only 5%, it's about damn time!!
  4. 10 Dec '13 02:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    You don't want to complicate the process by tackling too much here.

    To make this work they must appeal to popular consent, which are the balanced budget issue and term limits.

    Most people don't even know there are commerce laws and a nondelegation doctrine, let alone trying to muster support behind such proposals.

    The key here is to set a precedent ...[text shortened]... rst time in US history. With a Congressional approval rating of only 5%, it's about damn time!!
    But I want the judiciary to pee its pants too.
  5. 10 Dec '13 02:42
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    But I want the judiciary to pee its pants too.
    One step at a time my friend.

    Progressives did not turn the US into a centralized police state overnight. They also had to take baby steps.