1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 21:241 edit
    I read this very interesting article (http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/09/tech/innovation/obama-data-crunching-election/index.html) about how Democrats have tapped cutting edge data management and polling strategies to help them campaign efficiently on the ground. On the other hand, my impression (I don't have a specific source in mind) is that Republicans have mainly succeeded in the advertising and marketing strategies--think how well catchy phrases like "government takeover," "death panels," and "regulatory uncertainty" (not to mention "9-9-9" )--have dominated political discourse over the past few years. I would characterize this as a broader approach, and Democrat's plan as a more tailored approach.

So I would ask, which style is stronger? Of course, they are not mutually exclusive, and I'm sure both the DNC and the RNC will borrow from both strategies, but I think those generalities characterize both strategies pretty well.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 21:31
    If Obama wins the next election, the US deserves him.
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 21:421 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If Obama wins the next election, the US deserves him.
    😴
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 00:59
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I read this very interesting article (http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/09/tech/innovation/obama-data-crunching-election/index.html) about how Democrats have tapped cutting edge data management and polling strategies to help them campaign efficiently on the ground. On the other hand, my impression (I don't have a specific source in mind) is that Republicans hav ...[text shortened]... strategies, but I think those generalities characterize both strategies pretty well.
    Your ideas of strategies seems pretty sound. I'd give a small edge to the Democrats. The election of 2012 will be a bitter and nasty one, in the end however, all the GOP has to offer are the same basic policies of GW Bush i.e. lower taxes for the rich, more American jobs going overseas, and less oversight for corporations, allowing them to get away with more white collar crime. The Democrats will have a hard time explaining why they've not turned the economy around by this time, but in view of the fact many of the Democratic ideas and bills have been killed by the GOP, the Democrats will be able to claim (with some success) the GOP wishes to simply obstruct at every turn because it's to there advantage politically. Get ready for 12 months of mud slinging! 😞
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 23:11
    I read this very interesting article (http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/09/tech/innovation/obama-data-crunching-election/index.html) about how Democrats have tapped cutting edge data management and polling strategies to help them campaign efficiently on the ground. On the other hand, my impression (I don't have a specific source in mind) is that Republicans hav ...[text shortened]... strategies, but I think those generalities characterize both strategies pretty well.
    I expect all campaigns to employ an array of strategies, but I do think that Obama's will be more tailored towards the winning electoral-college vote majority. I think he'll be dumping the "50 state strategy" which was originally tried by Dean. It forced McCain do devote resources to what should have been "safe states" while streamlining costs in such a way that the red state campaigns were worked into regional campaign costs.

I expect Obama to focus on the midwest and pretty much leave the south to his opponent, except North Carolina and Virginia (and maybe Florida, though Rubio will probably cinch that one for the Republican candidate choosing him as VP.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 02:50
    Last election people did not really know much about Obama since he had a brief history. Of course, they did know that Palin had a pregnant daughter and that she had an expensive wardrobe and could see Alaska from her porch. They also knew that they did not much care for "W" who was in the same party as McCain. So they elected Obama.

I think all the GOP has to do is compare "W" to Obama and show all the similarities and they win. They no longer have a Palin to pick on or a Bush to blame.

In short, its all about hope and change!!! 😵
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 05:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    Last election people did not really know much about Obama since he had a brief history. Of course, they did know that Palin had a pregnant daughter and that she had an expensive wardrobe and could see Alaska from her porch. They also knew that they did not much care for "W" who was in the same party as McCain. So they elected Obama.

I think all the GOP ...[text shortened]... ave a Palin to pick on or a Bush to blame.

In short, its all about hope and change!!! 😵
    I was making a comment about the parties' campaign styles, not their content.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree