Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Sep '09 17:31
    US Census Bureau report: 40 million living in poverty

    The overall poverty rate in the US rose to 13.2 percent in 2008, as workers across all sectors of the economy became jobless and increasing numbers of families were forced into destitution, according to a new government report. Real median household income also declined by 3.6 percent.

    The report released Tuesday, part of the US Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, is the most recent to measure the recession’s impact on working class families and the poor. Based on the changes between 2007 and 2008, the first full year of the recession, its findings do not reflect increases in poverty and joblessness this year as the consequences of the crisis have become even more acute.

    The official poverty rate of 13.2 percent in 2008 was up from 12.5 percent in 2007. This figure translates into 39.8 million people in poverty across America. The official poverty level is set at $22,000 annually for a family of four with two children or $12,000 for an individual, an absurdly low threshold. This means that far more people than indicated by the survey do not have adequate resources to pay for food, shelter, medical care and other basic necessities.

    Complete article: http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/sep2009/pove-s30.shtml

    =====================

    Poverty perhaps could never be eraidacted completely. It stood at 13.2 percent in 2008 and that - along with the 40,000,000 figure - don't reflect increases in poverty and joblessness in 2009 resulting from the economic crisis.

    What is a realistically tolerable degree of poverty in a developed country?
  2. 30 Sep '09 17:42 / 1 edit
    Results of a recession and job loss---these people that are now unemployed undoubtedly no longer have insurance and will put a further drain on Medicaid and hospital's ER. I think we are slowly working our way out of the recession but it's a further indicator that healthcare reform is needed.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Sep '09 17:44
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    Results of a recession and job loss---these people that are now unemployed undoubtedly no longer have insurance and will put a further drain on Medicaid and hospital's ER. I think we are slowly working our way out of the recession but it's a further indicator that healthcare reform is needed.
    What is a realistically tolerable degree of poverty in a developed country? What would be the percentage that you'd consider acceptable?
  4. 30 Sep '09 18:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is a realistically tolerable degree of poverty in a developed country? What would be the percentage that you'd consider acceptable?
    How can you determine a percentage? It appears that the United Kingdom has a higher poverty rate than the U.S does...Tolerable? Preference would be that no one is below the poverty line, so is coming up with an arbitrary % of "tolerable poverty" saying that is acceptable? If i must come up with one, though, I guess i would say around 9.5% as that is where the unemployment rate is.
  5. 30 Sep '09 18:11
    in california, you have to go blind in one eye before you can get the other eye (going blind) treated for free. because until you're on your last eye, you're not at risk of blindness.
  6. 30 Sep '09 18:12
    $12K seems high for an individual but it's been a while since i lived on that much. people could move to low-rent states, tho.
  7. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    30 Sep '09 18:17
    It's all the Mexicans' fault.

    And of the terrorists, of course.
  8. 30 Sep '09 18:52
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    Results of a recession and job loss---these people that are now unemployed undoubtedly no longer have insurance and will put a further drain on Medicaid and hospital's ER. I think we are slowly working our way out of the recession but it's a further indicator that healthcare reform is needed.
    The result of a poor socio-economic policy.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Sep '09 19:39 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]US Census Bureau report: 40 million living in poverty

    The overall poverty rate in the US rose to 13.2 percent in 2008, as workers across all sectors of the economy became jobless and increasing numbers of families were forced into destitution, according to a new government report. Real median household income also declined by 3.6 percent.

    The report conomic crisis.

    What is a realistically tolerable degree of poverty in a developed country?[/b]
    Depends how you define poverty.

    By the definition that existed hundreds of years ago, almost no one lives in poverty.

    By the definition that might exist in 200 years, perhaps most of us do.

    As long as the definition of poverty keeps shifting so that it defines the poorest elements of society, poverty can never be eradicated.

    An individual making $12,000 per year may live in a place where the cost of living is low and receive Medicaid, food stamps, Section 8 housing assistance and other state welfare programs and live quite nicely.

    Defining poverty by referencing an arbitrary income amount is silly. Well, for purposes of keeping statistics, it's fine because you have to draw the line somewhere. But, that doesn't mean the word poverty has the same connotation as it does when we use the word in the vernacular.

    I know people with hundreds of thousands of dollars in trust funds controlled by other extended family members who make little or nothing and are receiving all sorts of government assistance. And, it's all perfectly legal. And, they're living in poverty according to the statistics.
  10. 01 Oct '09 22:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    It's all the Mexicans' fault.

    And of the terrorists, of course.
    You have opened your eyes under the shadow of the big hat !!!
  11. 01 Oct '09 23:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]US Census Bureau report: 40 million living in poverty

    The overall poverty rate in the US rose to 13.2 percent in 2008, as workers across all sectors of the economy became jobless and increasing numbers of families were forced into destitution, according to a new government report. Real median household income also declined by 3.6 percent.

    The report conomic crisis.

    What is a realistically tolerable degree of poverty in a developed country?[/b]
    No worries, the stimulus plan will save us all!! In fact, if the government continuies to take over all private business or erradicate it altogether, they can simply employ the poor via the tax payers expense.
  12. 01 Oct '09 23:52 / 1 edit
    Poverty in the US isn't what poverty is in most of the world. We got a lotta mighty fat poor people.
  13. 02 Oct '09 00:10
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Poverty in the US isn't what poverty is in most of the world. We got a lotta mighty fat poor people.
    Yes, in fact, why not make universal health coverage TRUE universal coverage? We should be building hospitals around the world taking care of all mankind. After all, they are human. Then all the "poor" people in the US will be taxed into oblivion like the rest of us.
  14. 02 Oct '09 00:22
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The result of a poor socio-economic policy.
    Correct!

    RayGun, Bush (x2), and other assorted rightwing fascists.
  15. 02 Oct '09 02:09
    Originally posted by sh76
    Depends how you define poverty.

    By the definition that existed hundreds of years ago, almost no one lives in poverty.

    By the definition that might exist in 200 years, perhaps most of us do.

    As long as the definition of poverty keeps shifting so that it defines the poorest elements of society, poverty can never be eradicated.

    An individual making $1 ...[text shortened]... . And, it's all perfectly legal. And, they're living in poverty according to the statistics.
    Agreed. Good retort.