1. Joined
    31 Dec '09
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 21:37
    Try not to be so disrespectful the next time my grandfather visits Paris.
    He didn't remember being hassled for his passport during WW2. In fact he didn't remember any of you frenchies being there at all to greet him when storming the beach. He's old. it took him a while to get it out of his bag.

Below is a famous reminder of what the french did while Germany was marching down their streets.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Frenchman_crying.png

That's right. Clap, cry and STFU. The big boys are on their way to save you. Probally your granddaddy in the picture.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 21:49
    Originally posted by Sikora
    He didn't remember being hassled for his passport during WW2. In fact he didn't remember any of you frenchies being there at all to greet him when storming the beach. He's old. it took him a while to get it out of his bag.

Below is a famous reminder of what the french did while Germ ...[text shortened]... nd STFU. The big boys are on their way to save you. Probally your granddaddy in the picture.
    Guess we're even; there might not be a US if not for the French:

The Battle of Chesapeake Capes, also known as the Battle of the Virginia Capes, was a crucial naval battle in the Revolutionary War, which occurred near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay between a British fleet led by Rear Adm. Thomas Graves and a French fleet led by Rear Adm. Comte de Grasse. It was the only major defeat for the British Royal Navy in the 18th and 19th centuries.
    The victory by the French fleet prevented the Royal Navy from resupplying the forces of Gen. Lord Charles Cornwallis at Yorktown, Virginia. It also prevented interference with the supply of troops and supply from New York to the armies of Gen. George Washington through Chesapeake Bay. As a result, Cornwallis surrendered after the Battle of Yorktown and Great Britain later recognized the independence of the United States.

http://www.myrevolutionarywar.com/battles/810905.htm
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 21:54
    http://www.made-in-england.org/images/frenchman.gif
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 21:55
    Is your grandfather whodey?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:00

Below is a famous reminder of what the french did while Germ ...[text shortened]... nd STFU. The big boys are on their way to save you. Probally your granddaddy in the picture.
    By 1944, it is estimated that there were 100,000 members of the various resistance movements that existed in France. Just one year earlier, there were just 40,000 members.. By the spring of 1944, there were 60 intelligence cells whose task was solely to collect intelligence as opposed to carrying out acts of sabotage. In the build up to D-Day, the intelligence they gathered was vital. In May 1944 alone, they sent 3,000 written reports to the Allies and 700 wireless reports. Between April and May, the resistance destroyed 1,800 railway engines. When this figure is added to the 2,400 destroyed by Allied bombers, it is easy to understand why the Germans had such difficulty transporting equipment across France.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/french_resistance.htm

Your grandfather might be alive today because some French resistance fighter passed valuable information to SHAEF. Or blew up a railway engine that might have transported Nazi troops to the beachhead. They might have lost their lives doing so.

Appreciation swings both ways.
  6. Joined
    31 Dec '09
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    By 1944, it is estimated that there were 100,000 members of the various resistance movements that existed in France. Just one year earlier, there were just 40,000 members.. By the spring of 1944, there were 60 intelligence cells whose task was solely to collect intelligence as opposed to carrying out acts of sabotage. In the build up to D-Day, the intell ...[text shortened]... head. They might have lost their lives doing so.

Appreciation swings both ways.
    He appreciated them just fine. It was not he who was being disrespectful. The guards or whatever you call them in the airport were waiting for him to grab his passport which is fine. I know it's their job but when it took him a few seconds longer than they liked one turned to the other and said " These Americans think they can go wherever they want in French" My mother who was there also understands French.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:18
    Have you read the "Anti-Americanism in France" thread?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree