1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 05:41
    Who'd a thunk it?

Well, looks like the oldest and largest multi-national on Earth is gonna make a swing to the rational... I.e. left.

Not only am I amazed they chose him (granted, not the most liberal Jesuit, but South American and pro-trade union at the least), but I'm glad they picked someone who wasn't to the right of sanity again.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 05:46
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Who'd a thunk it?

Well, looks like the oldest and largest multi-national on Earth is gonna make a swing to the rational... I.e. left.

Not only am I amazed they chose him (granted, not the most liberal Jesuit, but South American and pro-trade union at the least), but I'm glad they picked someone who wasn't to the right of sanity again.
    I just want to know if there's such a thing as a hat in the Vatican that is considered too funny to wear.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 06:04
    Who'd a thunk it?

Is there no institution safe from Jesuit infiltration?
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 15:19
    A follow-up to my post above. Enjoy!

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2013/03/papal_conclave_why_do_cardinals_wear_funny_hats.html
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 19:01
    Things are looking up for you guys. In his first address the new Pope never once mentioned the name of Jesus Christ.

So when to the pediphile preists get to marry the children?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 19:08

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 19:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    Things are looking up for you guys. In his first address the new Pope never once mentioned the name of Jesus Christ.

So when to the pediphile preists get to marry the children?
    Go burn a cross you fake Christian
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 19:141 edit
    Who'd a thunk it?

Wikipedia had this to say about his positions on poverty and inequality:

At a meeting of Latin American bishops in 2007 Bergoglio said "[w]e live in the most unequal part of the world, which has grown the most yet reduced misery the least" and that "[t]he unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers". On 30 September 2009, Bergoglio spoke at a conference organized by the Argentina City Postgraduate School (EPOCA) at the Alvear Palace Hotel titled "Las deudas sociales de nuestro tiempo" ("The Social Debts of Our Time" ) in which he quoted the 1992 "Documento de Santo Domingo" by the Latin American Episcopal Conference, saying "extreme poverty and unjust economic structures that cause great inequalities" are violations of human rights. He went on to describe social debt as "immoral, unjust and illegitimate."

During a 48-hour public servant strike in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Bergoglio observed the differences between "poor people who are persecuted for demanding work, and rich people who are applauded for fleeing from justice". During a May 2010 speech in Argentina regarding the poor, he directed his message to the wealthy by saying: "You avoid taking into account the poor. We have no right to duck down, to lower the arms carried by those in despair. We must reclaim the memory of our country who has a mother, recover the memory of our Mother".

In 2011, Bergoglio decried sweatshops and homelessness in Buenos Aires as forms of slavery, saying "In this city, slavery is the order of the day in various forms, in this city workers are exploited in sweatshops and, if immigrants, are deprived of the opportunity to get out. In this city, there are kids on the streets for years." He added, "The city failed and continues to fail in the attempt deliver them from this bondage that is structural homelessness."

We'll see if he keeps singing the same tune now that he's the big kahuna.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 20:562 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Go burn a cross you fake Christian
    Now that the world has turned liberal there is no more reason to play coy.

Let the gay preists marry the catholic boys and stop all this nonsense talking about God.

Whoever aborts the most babies in a year becomes the next patron saint for sending the most souls to heaven!!! 😵
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 23:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    Now that the world has turned liberal there is no more reason to play coy.

Let the gay preists marry the catholic boys and stop all this nonsense talking about God.

Whoever aborts the most babies in a year becomes the next patron saint for sending the most souls to heaven!!! 😵
    Why are so many non Catholics even invested in who a new pope is, or his ideological bent?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 00:15
    Who'd a thunk it?

Probably a combination of a compromise candidate and a fig leaf to the "Third World" ; at 76 he's unlikely to have a very long rein and then they can elect a nice, conservative Euro.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 00:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 00:51
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Why are so many non Catholics even invested in who a new pope is, or his ideological bent?
    He claims to represent God on earth. That usually raises a few eye brows, especially when you have a mass following.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 05:02
    Originally posted by normbenign
    It's a multi-national which has existed for 1700 years.
    It's an organisation with 1.2 billion members.
    It's global.
    Every single country is influenced by it.

The question should be: how the hell can you not be interested in it??
  15. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 06:06
    What I find difficult to understand is that in Christianity , faith is the defining criteria for being a proper christian, it is the object of the religion. I do not believe that an intelligent person and you have to be to get to be Pope ,can be without doubt ,unless your mad, everyone questions.
    For Jesuits, faith plays a big part of their religious creed. Are you allowed not to believe every now and then and for how long.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree