1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 17:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Abbas took pains NOT to say this, presumably.
    Abbas has his own political reasons not to recognize the sovereignty of Hamas in Gaza. But realistically, Hamas cannot be completely sidelined with the clout it has over much of the Palestinian population.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 17:021 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    In what way do you see him as a religious figure at all?
    I don't think that the phrase "not susceptible to religious fanaticism" implies some level of being a religious figure.

Edit: I could also truly state that Richard Dawkins is "not susceptible to religious fanaticism."
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 17:03
    Originally posted by sh76
    ...I don't think most Israelis give a hoot over things like who has civil control over which patches of desert...
    Will Israel ever go for some kind of per capita sharing of the limited water resources do you think?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 17:051 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Will Israel ever go for some kind of per capita sharing of the limited water resources do you think?
    That's a very good question.

I think that in the long run, as strange as it sounds, the construction of enormous desalination plants might be a necessary element of any long term peace.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 17:08
    I could also truly state that Richard Dawkins is "not susceptible to religious fanaticism."
    Richard Dawkins won't be agitating for control over Temple Mount but may want guaranteed face time on TV in both states.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 17:10
    That's a very good question.
    I model my tension > release question sequences on fusion guitarist Trey Anastasio.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I model my tension > release question sequences on fusion guitarist Trey Anastasio.
    oookay... that was certainly random enough 😕

😉
  8. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 21:551 edit
    Sorry for the slightly spammy post, but I couldn't reasonably cut any of these points.

http://www.jstreet.org/blog/?p=1102

In a wide-ranging, nearly two-hour roundtable discussion, Abbas told us plainly that the only solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is two states living side by side in peace and security, with the 1967 borders as a basis an ...[text shortened]... ple out there (and you know who you are): Does anyone disagree with this basic formulation?
    No one outside Israel disagrees. But if an Israeli leader agreed publicly to this very reasonable position, one of 'his own' people would gun him down.

At least that's what happened the last time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree