Afghanistan

Afghanistan

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 Aug 12

Why is the USA still there?

Time to get out. We're done there.

Houston, Texas

Moves
01 Sep 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Why is the USA still there?

Time to get out. We're done there.
Isn't withdrawal set to be complete in 2014.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Sep 12

Originally posted by moon1969
Isn't withdrawal set to be complete in 2014.
Why wait until 2014?

Houston, Texas

Moves
01 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
Why wait until 2014?
With an edict to withdraw generally, the generals decided the 2014 timing. My vote of when to withdraw doesn't count that much. McCain's doesn't either fortunately, as he thinks we should have a military presence in Afghanistan forever. No telling what etch-a-sketch would do as president.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Sep 12

With an edict to withdraw generally, the generals decided the 2014 timing. My vote of when to withdraw doesn't count that much. McCain's doesn't either fortunately, as he thinks we should have a military presence in Afghanistan forever. No telling what etch-a-sketch would do as president.
Generals aren't the Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces; the President is. The people want out and consider the war to have been a mistake.http://www.pollingreport.com/afghan.htm

You'll have to explain to me why this President ignores what the public wants in this area. I don't expect anything from Romney (he didn't even mention the war in his RNC speech), but he's not President and hopefully won't be (I'd lose $50).

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Sep 12

I don't think Afghanistan was a mistake, but I'm not a big fan of prolonged occupations.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Sep 12

I don't think Afghanistan was a mistake, but I'm not a big fan of prolonged occupations.
Once we went in with one of our main goals to overthrow the Taliban, a prolonged occupation was inevitable.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Sep 12

Once we went in with one of our main goals to overthrow the Taliban, a prolonged occupation was inevitable.
Well that was a stupid goal.

Houston, Texas

Moves
01 Sep 12

Generals aren't the Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces; the President is. The people want out and consider the war to have been a mistake.http://www.pollingreport.com/afghan.htm

You'll have to explain to me why this President ignores what the public wants in this area. I don't expect anything from Romney (he didn't even mention the war in his RNC speech), but he's not President and hopefully won't be (I'd lose $50).
I agree with everything you say. The President can delegate timing decisions to his generals based on an overall edict or policy, but the President as commander-in-chief is accountable. And my vote to withdraw immediately doesn't count much. I just think Afghanistan is a lost cause. Americans are dying. Money wasted. The US-backed Afghan government will never be able to control the country. There will always be terrorist training bases there in the foreseeable future, no matter how long we are there. Etc, etc. Withdraw immediately. Yet, not gonna happen. For those who disagree with the President on this decision, they can vote for flip-flop or third party.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Sep 12

I agree with everything you say. The President can delegate timing decisions to his generals based on an overall edict or policy, but the President as commander-in-chief is accountable. And my vote to withdraw immediately doesn't count much. I just think Afghanistan is a lost cause. Americans are dying. Money wasted. The US-backed Afghan government wi ...[text shortened]... e who disagree with the President on this decision, they can vote for flip-flop or third party.
Stop being such a whiny pessimist. We used Afghanistan to bitchslap Al Quaeda just like Al Quaeda used it as base to hit us from. It's Hotel Slaughter. Anybody can walk in, set up shop, take out who they need to, and leave, and the locals really aren't going to do anything about it as long as nobody tries to take over the country.

We (I mean those who kill in my name, not me, I'm sitting comfortably on my fat butt at home) did what "we" needed to do. If necessary, US forces can come back. But there's no need to sit there pissing off the locals indefinitely.

Houston, Texas

Moves
01 Sep 12
1 edit

We (I mean tho rces can come back. But there's no need to sit there pissing off the locals indefinitely.
That is a good point. We are pissing off the locals and not earning a lot of goodwill points.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Sep 12

I agree with everything you say. The President can delegate timing decisions to his generals based on an overall edict or policy, but the President as commander-in-chief is accountable. And my vote to withdraw immediately doesn't count much. I just think Afghanistan is a lost cause. Americans are dying. Money wasted. The US-backed Afghan government wi ...[text shortened]... e who disagree with the President on this decision, they can vote for flip-flop or third party.
Well at least he closed down the prison at Gitmo like he promised in 2008.

Wait a minute ...................................................

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Sep 12

Stop being such a whiny pessimist. We used Afghanistan to bitchslap Al Quaeda just like Al Quaeda used it as base to hit us from. It's Hotel Slaughter. Anybody can walk in, set up shop, take out who they need to, and leave, and the locals really aren't going to do anything about it as long as nobody tries to take over the country.

We (I mean tho ...[text shortened]... rces can come back. But there's no need to sit there pissing off the locals indefinitely.
You're missing the BIG PICTURE. Oceania is ideologically committed to keep in power pro-Western plutocrats in the oil producing regions of the Middle East (and to a lesser extent everywhere else in the developing world except sub-Saharan Africa which we don't give a s**t about). Letting crazy theocratic Muslims run Afghanistan is bad for business.

Houston, Texas

Moves
01 Sep 12

Well at least he closed down the prison at Gitmo like he promised in 2008.

Wait a minute ...................................................
Likely a political decision (for example, I don't think he wanted to be trying terrorists in federal court, especially in a big city like NY city, for instance), but Gitmo is not needed for national security, and also keeping it open an unethical immoral decision that weakens the US. It reminds me of something that Clinton would have continued for political reasons. Even with the incredible distaste for Gitmo by the electorate in the US, the President would have taken a big-time hammering for sending the terrorists through the normal judicial system and losing some of the intelligence gathering capability. In contrast as it is now, the independents and swing voters do not really question him on his capability in national security, which is commonly a weakness for the Democrat presidential candidate. But still Gitmo is a campaign promise he should have followed through with. For those who disagree with his decision to keep Gitmo open, they can vote for Romney or third party.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Sep 12

Does Afghanistan export oil?