1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 15:10
    Why sell to Al Jazeera? Is it just money? Does he like oil rich nations? Is he a big fan of the Arab Spring movement and other U.A.E. goals?

http://theweek.com/article/index/238344/why-al-gore-sold-current-tv-to-al-jazeera

Any theories why?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 16:05
    Usually when people sell things money is the prime motivation.

I'm not sure why you would bring up either the Arab Spring or the U.A.E. Al Jazeera is based in Qatar, not in the U.A.E. Qatar is an absolute monarchy so I doubt they look particularly favourable towards the Arab Spring movement.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 16:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Usually when people sell things money is the prime motivation.

I'm not sure why you would bring up either the Arab Spring or the U.A.E. Al Jazeera is based in Qatar, not in the U.A.E. Qatar is an absolute monarchy so I doubt they look particularly favourable towards the Arab Spring movement.
    The article stated he had lots of interested buyers.

Qatar. Thanks for the correction.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 16:50
    I think it is interesting that the Arab Spring Movement as it has progressed so far seems to be in the interests of the USA and Al Jazeera is encouraging that movement.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 17:03
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I think it is interesting that the Arab Spring Movement as it has progressed so far seems to be in the interests of the USA and Al Jazeera is encouraging that movement.
    The forcing out of governments friendly to the US in Tunisia and Egypt seems to refute that premise.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 17:20
    In what sense is Al Jazeera "encouraging" the Arab Spring movement?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 17:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In what sense is Al Jazeera "encouraging" the Arab Spring movement?
    Have you ever read the English version of their website? The articles and opinion pieces are overwhelmingly supportive of the movement.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 18:20
    Why sell to Al Jazeera? Is it just money? Does he like oil rich nations? Is he a big fan of the Arab Spring movement and other U.A.E. goals?

http://theweek.com/article/index/238344/why-al-gore-sold-current-tv-to-al-jazeera

Any theories why?
    I think the reason is the reason given in the article:
    Gore and Hyatt did provide a reason when confirming the sale:

Current Media was built based on a few key goals: To give voice to those who are not typically heard; to speak truth to power; to provide independent and diverse points of view; and to tell the stories that no one else is telling. Al Jazeera has the same goals and, like Current, believes that facts and truth lead to a better understanding of the world around us.

And that rings true to at least a few outside analysts. "There's a major hole right now that Al Jazeera can fill," cable consultant Cathy Rasenberger tells The New York Times. "And that is providing an alternative viewpoint to domestic news, which is very parochial." The risk to Al Jazeera, she adds, is that "there is a limited amount of interest in international news in the United States."

I think a more interesting question is the path forward for Al Jazeera with this.
    The big question, perhaps, is what Al Jazeera plans to do with its new reach into America. "They could pitch it squarely at the Left as some sort of foreign-policy-heavy adjunct to MSNBC, or they could emphasize kinda sorta straight news reporting on the Arab Spring and Middle East as an alternative to CNN," Hot Air's Allahpundit suggests. Whatever path it takes, "the acquisition is a coming of age moment" for Al Jazeera, says Brian Stelter at The New York Times. The globally successful and well-regarded Arab network has convinced "Gore and the other owners of Current that it has the journalistic muscle and the money to compete head-to-head with CNN and other news channels in the United States." Now it just has to convince Americans to tune in.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 18:51
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The forcing out of governments friendly to the US in Tunisia and Egypt seems to refute that premise.
    Are you claiming that the present government in Egypt does not continue the same policies as Mubarak did? Show me the significant difference.
  10. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 20:55

Any theories why?
    Maybe they were the highest bidder. At least it was disclosed. A far cry from all those oil deals George HW Bush did in the 80's and 90's with the Bin Laden family.😉
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 00:03
    Originally posted by bill718
    Maybe they were the highest bidder. At least it was disclosed. A far cry from all those oil deals George HW Bush did in the 80's and 90's with the Bin Laden family.😉
    Possibly, but I think Al Jazeera serves the interests of the same people who control our government in the USA. Al Gore is probably serving those same interests in this sale.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 01:141 edit
    The article stated he had lots of interested buyers.

Qatar. Thanks for the correction.
    Al might have been short money to pay the light bill at his Tennessee mansion. Seriously, it has never been a business success, and I doubt that Gore fronted the money for it out of personal funds. He probably took the best offer he could get.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree