1. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 17:27
    We would be better with a benevolent dictatorship rather than the bampots inventing this rubbish.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/Bar-staff-to-be-banned.5600156.jp

"FIRST smokers were told to stub it out. Then happy hours were deemed out of order. But now – in perhaps the greatest assault yet on Scotland's traditional pub culture – bar staff are being told to stop asking patrons if they'd like "the same again"….. If a drinker is looking for a refill, he should be given a glass of water."

"Conservative justice spokesman Bill Aitken said: "This is absolute arrant nonsense…."
    "Labour councillor Ian Murray, who runs a pub in Edinburgh, added: "On the whole I welcome this legislation…..”
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 17:56
    It isn't in the legislation that bar workers are supposed to give people a glass of water - this is what some training companies are saying, based on their interpretation of the law.
  3. Joined
    28 Sep '04
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 19:15
    As a Scottish licencee, I have to add that most of the reporting around this has been wildly inaccurate: There is nothing new about this legislation, it has been in the offing for months. The changes to current practice are absolutely tiny, the only significant one being the restrictions on happy hours and the like ( a rather redundant move, since the last time I saw a happy hour was during the Major government )
    The whole process, is rather pointless, very dull and allows the publicity hungry to get a few column inches by concocting media friendly scare stories
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 19:17
    Originally posted by MacSwain
    We would be better with a benevolent dictatorship rather than the bampots inventing this rubbish.

"FIRST smokers were told to stub it out. Then happy hours were deemed out of order. But now – in perhaps ...[text shortened]... ray, who runs a pub in Edinburgh, added: "On the whole I welcome this legislation…..”
    Aside from this sort of thing being a probably unwarranted intrusion by government, the biggest problem is that it so clearly allows selective prosecution and allows government officials ever more power.

Does anyone really think this sort of thing can or will be enforced across the board? No, if the government officials don't like your pub for whatever other reason, this is just one more excuse for the government to persecute you.

By the way, I don't dislike government. I tend to like and trust government more than many. But, I don't like government interfering with people's lives except to the extent that they have to.
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 19:21

"FIRST smokers were told to stub it out. Then happy hours were deemed out of order. But now – in perhaps ...[text shortened]... ray, who runs a pub in Edinburgh, added: "On the whole I welcome this legislation…..”
    "On the whole I welcome this legislation…..”

I do too.
  6. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 18:201 edit

"FIRST smokers were told to stub it out. Then happy hours were deemed out of order. But now – in perhaps ray, who runs a pub in Edinburgh, added: "On the whole I welcome this legislation…..”
    It would seem I am alone in seeing stupidity of government involving themselves with dictating permissable verbage between bar-staff and patron.

Is this why they're elected? I happen to think not, isn't their job to fix important bits which are unravelling in their fingers.
  7. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 19:04
    It would seem I am alone in seeing stupidity of government involving themselves with dictating permissable verbage between bar-staff and patron.

Is this why they're elected? I happen to think not, isn't their job to fix important bits which are unravelling in their fingers.
    Like I said, the Government simply isn't dictating this or anything like it.
  8. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 22:14
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Like I said, the Government simply isn't dictating this or anything like it.
    Pray tell, what has instigated this recent behaviour and concern if not the law and fear of it?
  9. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 07:35
    Pray tell, what has instigated this recent behaviour and concern if not the law and fear of it?
    It looks like this behaviour is instigated by some people's (mis-)understanding of the legislation.

Which is a far cry from the government dictating the matter.
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 15:43

this is nonsense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree