15 Sep '15 03:40
    Whatever government run schools teach is swell with me. 😛
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 04:231 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I don't know why you must be so dishonest and deceitful by attempting to associate the old tried and true belief of young earth creation with a new form of math by Terrence Howard that conflicts with all we have known to be true from the past. It is actually billions and millions of years of evolution that departs from the tried and true beliefs of the past. 😏
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 06:15
    This is true for many, many societies and countries, among which my own.

How about your country, Duchess?
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 11:05
    Duchess - America is a melting pot of nut cases, average folks, and smart people. Terrence Howard is an entertainer who enjoy's calling attention to himself. Although Europeans are generally better educated than Americans, I can assure you very few people here take Mr. Howard seriously regarding his dysfunctional attempt at math theory.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 15:42
    In fact I hadn't heard of Terrence Tao... and this as a European chemist 🙁 I had to look him up.

On the up side I never have heard about Terrence Howard at all and won't look him up 🙂
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 17:04
    this is not related in any way to mathematics. like bill said, there are very few people who actually believe howard might be on to something. and those are the nutjobs that will believe anything

this is solely about the need to read about famous people, the need to create famous people so you can read about them.

"famous guy said something stupid" will forever be on the news. while it is harmful in the case of the playboy dumbass bimbo convincing dumb people to not vaccinate their kids, this will not harm anyone except the dumbasses who will get into fights with shop keepers for not giving them "correct" change.

you should follow jaden smith on twitter. now there's a guy with some deep, revolutionary thoughts.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 20:471 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 21:053 edits
    It only sounds really daft since you took it out of context and didn't provide the explanation.

After high school, he attended Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, studying chemical engineering, until he got into an argument with a professor about what one times one equals. "How can it equal one?" he said. "If one times one equals one that means that two is of no value because one times itself has no effect. One times one equals two because the square root of four is two, so what's the square root of two? Should be one, but we're told it's two, and that cannot be." This did not go over well, he says, and he soon left school. "I mean, you can't conform when you know innately that something is wrong."

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/terrence-howards-dangerous-mind-20150914?page=8

The last line is particularly interesting: rather like a Young Earth Creationist's attitude toward evolution. For that matter, the line of "reasoning" bears similarities to that of YECs.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 21:47
    You seem to be a worshiper of people, specifically the people you find admirable. Most of us tend to no know great chemists or mathematicians, but do know movie actors, and athletes.

Rarely to mathematicians or chemists become popular knowledge, as their work is mostly done in private. Usually, the only way to get noticed in those fields is to come up with an unusual apocalyptic theory.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 23:512 edits

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Sep '15 23:591 edit

13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '15 00:071 edit
    Actually within the context of his "reasoning" it's merely "daft".
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Sep '15 22:48
    As KazetNagorra and I have pointed out, Normbenign knows nothing about academic life.

Almost true. I did do a couple of years in an American community college, but found I learned far more on my own, than in classes with kids who didn't want to be there.

By citing a single instance where an academic achieved an award, do you seek to contradict my observation that Americans, as well as others tend to know more athletes and actors than mathematicians. Probably they know more news anchors, and just new readers than mathematicians.
  15. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    16 Sep '15 22:55
    interesting: 1x1 = 2x1
    can't figure that one out

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree