America's Equity in Itself

America's Equity in Itself

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 13
1 edit

Assets = Equity + Liability

Assets of the USA are immense. Liability means debt which is also a huge number.

So what is America's equity? Do Assets outweigh Liabilities?

---

Some observations - Food Stamps provide Income, so they increase an individual's Equity, while taking out a loan to pay for school increases Liability and Expenses without increasing Equity or Assets...

So from the accounting equation point of view, food stamps are good, and borrowing money to go to school is not an investment...because it doesn't increase Assets...

I suspect this equation is driving some of the seemingly irrational behavior I see in the news.

R

Moves
16 Jun 13

Definitely not. America owes a huge debt to China.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 13

Originally posted by Tygert
Does that debt outweigh the value of all Federal land, military equipment and other property of the US government?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 13

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Assets = Equity + Liability

Assets of the USA are immense. Liability means debt which is also a huge number.

So what is America's equity? Do Assets outweigh Liabilities?

---

Some observations - Food Stamps provide Income, so they increase an individual's Equity, while taking out a loan to pay for school increases Liability and Expenses wi ...[text shortened]... suspect this equation is driving some of the seemingly irrational behavior I see in the news.
Assuming Food Stamps are used to buy food, a perishable good, it doesn't increase equity.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 13
2 edits

Originally posted by no1marauder
Assuming Food Stamps are used to buy food, a perishable good, it doesn't increase equity.
That expense will happen whether or not you have food stamps. So what they are in effect are pre-paid Expenses which go under Assets with no corresponding Liability.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/prepaidexpense.asp

K

Germany

Moves
16 Jun 13

Approximately 8% of US debt is held by China/HK. The majority is held by institutions and people within the US.

R

Moves
16 Jun 13

Does that debt outweigh the value of all Federal land, military equipment and other property of the US government?
"Military Equipment"

It's sad when a countries biggest asset is their military equipment. Whatever happened to peace?

K

Germany

Moves
16 Jun 13

"Military Equipment"

It's sad when a countries biggest asset is their military equipment. Whatever happened to peace?
Peace sells... but who's buying?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 13

"Military Equipment"

This thread is looking at things from the accounting equation perspective which is how the rich capitalist munchkins seem to see the world.

Your sissy hippie talk about peace and love is worth nothing here, just as is conservative self righteous blather about personal responsibility.

This is a thread for math geeks and gamer munchkins, not real people with real emotions and stuff.

U

Moves
16 Jun 13

China only owns a small percentage of our debt. They're not even our largest creditor. They're a long, distant second.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 13
2 edits

Interesting FACT - June is named after Juno, the goddess of money and Roman Queen of the Gods.

Took me a long time to discover what Juno/Hera's sphere of influence was other than being Jupiter's jealous wife.

She's the goddess of money.

I think.

I'm still not sure.

Mercury is god of business or something. They're both involved in the money game.

K

Germany

Moves
16 Jun 13

Interesting FACT - June is named after Juno, the goddess of money and Roman Queen of the Gods.

Took me a long time to discover what Juno/Hera's sphere of influence was other than being Jupiter's jealous wife.

She's the goddess of money.
If we're going off-topic anyway, did you know that Santa Claus and Wednesday have their origin in the same deity?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 13

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
If we're going off-topic anyway, did you know that Santa Claus and Wednesday have their origin in the same deity?
I had heard that. Mighty Woden, king of the Nordic gods. Interestingly he is NOT the Sky Father that is king of most other Indo-European pantheons. Nordics know the Sky Father as Tyr.

Romans thought Woden was Mercury which is interesting.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 13

That expense will happen whether or not you have food stamps. So what they are in effect are pre-paid Expenses which go under Assets with no corresponding Liability.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/prepaidexpense.asp
Even if that was sound accounting practice, they would be expensed almost immediately and thus go right off the balance sheet.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 13

Originally posted by no1marauder
Even if that was sound accounting practice, they would be expensed almost immediately and thus go right off the balance sheet.
Without the food stamps those expenses would come out of equity.