Debates Forum

1. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 15:40
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45498514

Good for Europe!
    They’ve stated a wish to punish Hungary for breaching core European values (read: being fascist scum).

It’s seemingly split the centre-right block, as they proposed it! Haha

Anyhoo... just look at the thugs coming out in support of the Hungarian extreme-right government... Farage, Wilders... the scumbags of humanity.

Nobody else.
    Nobody? Well... the English in the centre-right block back the Hungarians... the pro-brexit crowd... who all too readily are willing to let themselves be buggered by scum, because they think it helps their cause.
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 15:58
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

Good for Europe!
    They’ve stated a wish to punish Hungary for breaching core European values (read: being fascist scum).

Anyhoo... just look at the thugs coming out in support of the Hungarian extreme-right government... Farage, W ...[text shortened]... dily are willing to let themselves be buggered by scum, because they think it helps their cause.
    Are you not concerned this will lead to HEXIT, and a possible cascade of exits from the EU? Or would you view that as a good thing, purging all the scum from the EU etc?
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 18:55
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

Good for Europe!

Anyhoo... just look at the thugs coming out in support of the Hungarian extreme-right government... Farage, W ...[text shortened]... dily are willing to let themselves be buggered by scum, because they think it helps their cause.
    Poland also has an increasingly totalitarian right-wing government.
    Poland's judiciary already has been deprived of independence from political control.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/02/27/polands-right-wing-government-is-rewriting-history-with-itself-as-hero/?utm_term=.e92801daea39

"Poland’s right-wing government is rewriting history — with itself as hero."
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 01:07
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Poland also has an increasingly totalitarian right-wing government.
    Poland's judiciary already has been deprived of independence from political control.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/02/27/polands-right-wing-government-is-rewriting-history-with-itself-as-hero/?utm_term=.e92801daea39

"Poland’s right-wing government is rewriting history — with itself as hero."
    Same thing is happening here in the US, if Kavanaugh gets annointed to SCOTUS. It will complete the takeover by the right wing Trumpites.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 01:201 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Same thing is happening here in the US, if Kavanaugh gets annointed to SCOTUS.
    It will complete the takeover by the right wing Trumpites.
    If the ignorant Sonhouse knew anything about Poland, then he would know that the situation there
    is much worse than just being able to add one more right-wing judge to the highest court.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-poland-court-independence-government-control-populist-government-a8427106.html

"EU launches legal action against Poland for undermining independence of its courts
    Supreme court that verifies election results set to be filled with loyalists and judges forcibly retired."
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 02:40
    Clearly it was a mistake to let the likes of Poland and Hungary so readily into the EU. They should have been made to wait a few more decades.
  7. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 04:27
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    Are you not concerned this will lead to HEXIT, and a possible cascade of exits from the EU? Or would you view that as a good thing, purging all the scum from the EU etc?
    Yes.
    Don’t want fascists lingering around like a fart in a soace suit.
  8. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 04:40
    Originally posted by @soothfast
    Clearly it was a mistake to let the likes of Poland and Hungary so readily into the EU. They should have been made to wait a few more decades.
    A few decades?
    Poland, for one, should have been forced to explain how nobody there noticed FFing concentration camps...

And then, pants down, every communist, trade unionist, Jew, Romani and gay gets to whack every single Pole on their bear arses with electrified fly swatters...

And then wait a few decades.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 18:23
    Originally posted by @shavixmir to Soothfast
    A few decades?
    Poland, for one, should have been forced to explain how nobody there noticed FFing concentration camps...

And then, pants down, every communist, trade unionist, Jew, Romani and gay gets to whack every single Pole on their bear arses with electrified fly swatters...

And then wait a few decades.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/05/survived-warsaw-ghetto-wartime-lessons-extremism-europe

"I survived the Warsaw ghetto. Here are the lessons I’d like to pass on.
    I’m 93, and, as extremism sweeps across Europe, I fear we are doomed to repeat the
    mistakes which created the Holocaust."
    --Stanlislaw Aronson

"I have watched from afar in recent years as armchair patriots in my native Poland have
    sought to exploit and manipulate the memories and experiences of my generation."

"Given what I’ve learned over my lifetime I would, first, urge future generations of Europeans
    to remember my generation as we really were, not as they may wish us to have been.
    We had all the same vices and weaknesses as today’s young people do: most of us
    were neither heroes nor monsters.

Of course, many people did extraordinary things, but in most cases only because they
    were forced to by extreme circumstances, and even then, true heroes were very few and
    far between: I do not count myself among them.

The same applies to those who failed in their moral obligations during that time.
    Of course, there were many who committed unspeakable, unforgivable crimes.
    But it is nonetheless important to understand that we were a generation living in fear,
    and fear makes people do terrible things. Unless you have felt it, you cannot truly understand it."

"Second, just as there is no such thing as a “heroic generation”, there is no such thing
    as a “heroic nation” – or indeed an inherently malign or evil nation either."

"The truth is that, as a Pole and as a Jew, as a soldier and as a refugee, I experienced a
    wide spectrum of behaviour at the hands of Poles – from those who sheltered me at risk
    to their own lives, to those who sought to take advantage of my vulnerability, and all
    possible shades of concern and indifference in between.

And although the Third Reich destroyed my world, it was a German woman who saved
    my life by introducing me to the men who would recruit me into the Polish underground.
    No nation has a monopoly on virtue – something that many people, including many of
    my fellow Israeli citizens, still struggle to understand."

"Confronting lies sometimes means confronting difficult truths about one’s self and one’s
    own country. It is much easier to forgive yourself and condemn another, than the other
    way round; but this is something that everyone must do. I have made my peace with
    modern Germany, and hope that all Europeans can do the same."

"If disaster comes, you will find that all the myths you once cherished are of no use to you.
    You will see what it is like to live in a society where morality has collapsed, causing all
    your assumptions and prejudices to crumble before your eyes. And after it’s all over,
    you will watch as, slowly but surely, these harshest of lessons are forgotten as the
    witnesses pass on and new myths take their place."

Bravo! Stanlislaw Aronson confirms what I have heard from other survivors of the Second World War.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 02:341 edit
    Originally posted by @soothfast
    Clearly it was a mistake to let the likes of Poland and Hungary so readily into the EU.
    They should have been made to wait a few more decades.
    The extreme right-wing leaders of Hungary and Poland could join Donald Trump's mutual admiration society.
    Otherwise, Donald Trump might start to feel lonely with Israel's Prime Minister Netanyahu around.