1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 09:29
    What do you think?

here's my assumption: Left handers are not smarter, it's simply that they think away from the norm, in other words, DIFFERENT. You might ask, what is the "norm", and how would we define it? Here's how I would explain it:

In a Chess game, a right hander migth start with a very logical/subtle move, say the English, or King's Pawn opening, but a left hander might not respond "properly". Instead of the "correct" response of e5 or such, the leftie plays a6 or b5 which might surprise his right handed opponent...As the game goes on, the left handed player begins to dictate the game's position and pace that discomforts the right hander, which will eventually causes the right hander to fumble.

Now, here's a problem that might spark interests for some of you. What if the world is the opposite? Which means that the majority of the human pop. are left handed, will the world be a better/different place? Or will it simply be the same place?
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 09:41
    The sun would rise on the west and set to the east. Toilets would flush counterclockwise. Rap music would be all about respecting women and country music would be uplifting.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 12:24
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    What do you think?
    Now, here's a problem that might spark interests for some of you. What if the world is the opposite? Which means that the majority of the human pop. are left handed, will the world be a better/different place? Or will it simply be the same place?
    No, I don't think there would be much of a difference.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 12:45
    Female horses tend to lead with their left front leg. Males tend to favour the right.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 13:39
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    What do you think?

here's my assumption: Left handers are not smarter, it's simply that they think away from the norm, in other words, DIFFERENT. You might ask, what is the "norm", and how would we define it? Here's how I would explain it:

In a Chess game, a right hander migth start with a very logical/subtle move, say the English, or King's Pawn ope ...[text shortened]... ed, will the world be a better/different place? Or will it simply be the same place?
    Has anyone done a scientific study on whether left-handed chessplayers are more likely than right-handers to use unorthodox openings?
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 18:49
    from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess#psychology

"Ericsson and colleagues have argued that deliberate practice is sufficient for reaching high levels of expertise, like master in chess.[86] However, more recent research indicates that factors other than practice are important. For example, Gobet and colleagues have shown that stronger players start playing chess earlier, that they are more likely to be left-handed, and that they are more likely to be born in late winter and early spring.[87]"
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 19:231 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess#psychology

"Ericsson and colleagues have argued that deliberate practice is sufficient for reaching high levels of expertise, like master in chess.[86] However, more recent research indicates that factors other than practice are important. For example, Gobet and colleagues have shown that stronger p ...[text shortened]... be left-handed, and that they are more likely to be born in late winter and early spring.[87]"
    From that reference [87]:
    "within chessplayers, handedness does not correlate with chess skill"
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 19:39
    If stronger players are more likely to be left-handed -- and handedness does not correlate with chess skill among chessplayers -- I guess that means that chessplayers IN GENERAL are more likely to be left-handed?

But none of this answers the question of whether or not left-handed chessplayers are more likely to be UNORTHODOX in their openings.
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 21:48
    I use the Counterclockwise Gambit all the time, to predictable and measurable effect. I also smudge my chess scores, that really throws them. 🙂

Where would Tal fit into all of this? His handedness was unorthodox compared to his peers, let alone his opening repertoire.
  10. SubscriberScheel
    Knight
    h8
    Moves
    22 Dec '09 00:11
    No evidence have been given that left handed players, or even just left handed people act, achieve or score different from their right handed peers. What is the discussion ?
  11. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Moves
    22 Dec '09 01:00
    I'm ambi-dextrous at most tasks.
    Perhaps that explains my lack of skill at chess!😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree