Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Jan '16 11:26
    Or are our coloured brothers just delivering crap performances this time round?

I have to admit, I've seen very few films in 2015 which I'd give half a bloody award for, never mind an Oscar (although the Oscars and myself hardly agree on anything, I may add).

Star Wars was a copy of part IV, The hateful 8 was Tarantino masturbation without climax, Spectre was okay, but had something lacking... and I've just seen the revenent. Good grief. Sort of like Cast away, but then with Indians. Rather too long and about as interesting as the hateful 8... but with better shots of the scenery. Wait for the TV premiere is all I have to say about it.

I guess if there was a film or two that I'd say were the pick of the crop, they would be:
    - The imitation game
    - Bridge of spies (only because there was so much rubbish, it shouldn't be a best film)
    - Shawn the sheep the movie
    - La familie Belier
    - Mr. Holmes
    - Big eyes
    - Woman in gold

Now, as far as I know not one of these films is up for an Oscar.
    And since at least half of them are true stories.... it's hardly surprising there's few black, Indian or Aboriginal players in them...

So I ask you: Is there something racist about the Oscars and the nominations up for grabs?
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Jan '16 11:36 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Or are our coloured brothers just delivering crap performances this time round?

I have to admit, I've seen very few films in 2015 which I'd give half a bloody award for, never mind an Oscar (although the Oscars and myself hardly agree on anything, I may add).

Star Wars was a copy of part IV, The hateful 8 was Tarantino masturbation without climax, S ...[text shortened]... ..

So I ask you: Is there something racist about the Oscars and the nominations up for grabs?
    Well DUH. First one in 1939, next one in 1963. If I am not mistaken, there were 24 Oscar years between those two black Oscar winners. Hmm, lets see, are they racist? NAH Next one only 19 years later...... 13 TOTAL for main actors and support actors since the Oscars were started.
    Statistically speaking, there are about 17% African Americans in the US and about 3000 Oscars have been given out. out of that total, 32 were given to blacks. Hmm. lets see.

So that is roughly 1% total. 17% blacks in the US. Let's see.. Can we do the math here?
  3. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    21 Jan '16 12:07
    Well, now, do you mean all Oscars? Meaning all Academy Awards? Sound editing, music, directors, producers, etc.?

Because there have been 32 Oscars in total given out since the very first one to Hattie McDaniel, for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, for the role of "Mammy", in Gone With the Wind, in 1939. The last one was to John Legend and Common, for Best Original Song, for "Glory", in Selma, in 2014. The number of blacks who have merely been nominated is, of course, much higher. 132 black people have been nominated for Academy Awards, among all categories, since 1939.

And this does not include special awards, such as the Academy Honorary Award, or the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, both of which has had 3 winners who were black since 1995.

Or do you just mean all Oscars for performance, such as only Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Actor in a Supporting Role and Best Actress in a Supporting Role?

If so, the number of blacks who have won these awards since 1939 is 15. The number who were nominated for these categories who were black is 66.

Given this data, I'll leave it to you to decide if the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is racist or not.
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Jan '16 12:38
    It looks racist, but it doesn't have to be.
    I mean, Mexicans or Indians have won?
    How many Jews? How many Irish Americans?

Couldn't it just be that the people who make up the judges have a different taste in movies than, say, Spike Lee (who's films I can't handle either)?
  5. 21 Jan '16 12:40 / 1 edit
    And what about the BET awards?

Someone should start a WET channel, and then sit back and watch the uproar unfold.
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Jan '16 13:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, now, do you mean all Oscars? Meaning all Academy Awards? Sound editing, music, directors, producers, etc.?

Because there have been 32 Oscars in total given out since the very first one to Hattie McDaniel, for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, for the role of "Mammy", in Gone With the Wind, in 1939. The last one was to John Legend and Com ...[text shortened]... l leave it to you to decide if the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is racist or not.
    I came up with 32 but going with 66, that is 66 out of about 3000, or 2.2% of the total. Given the black % in the US is about 17% they should have 6 times that many, just based on statistics, or 510 or so out the 2900 or so total Oscars given out.
  7. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Jan '16 13:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I came up with 32 but going with 66, that is 66 out of about 3000, or 2.2% of the total. Given the black % in the US is about 17% they should have 6 times that many, just based on statistics, or 510 or so out the 2900 or so total Oscars given out.
    How many pictures are made with white or black actors?
  8. 21 Jan '16 13:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well DUH. First one in 1939, next one in 1963. If I am not mistaken, there were 24 Oscar years between those two black Oscar winners. Hmm, lets see, are they racist? NAH Next one only 19 years later...... 13 TOTAL for main actors and support actors since the Oscars were started.
    Statistically speaking, there are about 17% African Americans in the US and ...[text shortened]... see.

So that is roughly 1% total. 17% blacks in the US. Let's see.. Can we do the math here?
    Simple math often doesn't tell the story. Is the NBA racist, because blacks are over represented in their league?
  9. 21 Jan '16 13:47
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    And what about the BET awards?

Someone should start a WET channel, and then sit back and watch the uproar unfold.
    For one thing, it might be better to count the numbers in more recent years, but that still wouldn't tell anything real. And what about other biases in the film business?
  10. 21 Jan '16 13:47
    Couldn't it just be that the people who make up the judges have a different taste in movies than, say, Spike Lee (who's films I can't handle either)?
    Well it might help to know who the judges are. Racism of course plays a part somewhere in the system, whether it is in how and why the movies get made, how actors are selected and promoted, how judges are chosen and even the education system that all the people involved went through.
    But nothing much can be concluded from mere Oscar counts.
  11. 21 Jan '16 13:48
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Simple math often doesn't tell the story. Is the NBA racist, because blacks are over represented in their league?
    No, but the society in which the NBA exists clearly is.
  12. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Jan '16 14:09 / 1 edit
    I'm not suggesting that society isn't racist. Especially not US society.
    But, I am questioning the claim by various actors and commentators that the Oscars are. Or are a representation of this racism.

The mere fact that Forrest Gump won best movie over Pulp Fiction in the 90's sort of creates the image of Middle-class, ex-military, Christian, 50+ year olds doing the judging.
    I don't know.
    But if that's so, then it's no small wonder Pulp Fiction didn't win and it's not very amazing that Straight outta Compton didn't get nominated.

Not racist, but people judging from their frame of references.
    I'm sure if Snoop Doggy dog (or whatever his or any other rappers name is) was a judge, you would see less Coen brothers films up for grabs.
    Not racist. But you look at things as you were brought up. Just because I prefer fish and chips over fried gambas doesn't make me a racist.

That's what I'm trying to say (although when it comes to the Oscars, I don't know... that's why I'm asking).

EDIT: Just to be clear... I wouldn't pass up on fried gambas in garlic either...
  13. 21 Jan '16 16:14
    Oscar Voters: 94% White, 76% Men, and an Average of 63 Years Old.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/oscar-voters-94-white-76-men-and-an-average-of-63-years-old/284163/
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Jan '16 16:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    Oscar Voters: 94% White, 76% Men, and an Average of 63 Years Old.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/oscar-voters-94-white-76-men-and-an-average-of-63-years-old/284163/
    Sounds like the demographics for the Republican Party.
  15. 21 Jan '16 17:04
    Yeah yeah yeah.
    Wanna see what happens when blacks are in charge of an organization?
    http://www.amren.com/news/2012/03/metro-derailed-by-culture-of-complacence-incompetence-lack-of-diversity/