1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 04:56
    Obviously one loves a great little conspiracy theory. And nobody seems to be spouting international conspiracy theories like Iranian leaders. The problem being that listening to Iranian leaders is like having sharp needles stuck into one's ears (much like sitting in evangelical churches, I may add).

I was just watching CNN (add that to the list of torture, by the way. What the hell is wrong with CNN reporters? Have they watched too many Hollywood film trailers or something? What a bombastic and exaggerated way of reporting: "One man is being held prisoner. Against his will. The international community...blah blah blah." And really, how the hell did the US screw up which syllables to accenturate so badly? Not even Aussies can do that!)...

Where was I?

Yeah... CNN stated two things this morning:
    1. Iranian leaders say Britain and the US are behind the whole unrest.
    2. The international community (does this include Lichtenstein, I find myself pondering) condemns the holding of prisoners by Iranian authorities without them having lawyers (And I find myself wondering if the US mumbled anything along those lines...).

Sticking to one, what you all think?
    I mean, it's not like the US, Israel or Britain's rhetoric towards Iran has been unbiased the last...uh... 40 years or so. And the US did finance the Iraquee war against Iran in the 80's.
    And the US did finance various "revolutions" in the former Soviet block (like the orange revolution).
    And the British are always sneaking about (unless their spies are having gay sex in toilets, obviously).

The problem so far, for Iran, is that the only proof they've got of foreign meddling (not, by the way, that I'm suggesting the election was fair, that's not what this thread is about) seems to be the confessions of prisoners who are being held without representation. Which means their confessions are worth faeces in a jar.

I wonder, on a side track to do with point 2, if the international community does more than condemn Iran for the holding of these prisoners, what perspective that shines on this discussion, for the US was only condemned, and nothing else, for exactly the same.

Any ideas? Is it really just paranoid delusions? What with a major US offensive in Afghanistan for no apparant reason, is this a case of just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 06:20
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    And the British are always sneaking about (unless their spies are having gay sex in toilets, obviously).
    LOL...nothing like a sweeping generalization to go with the morning coffee!
  3. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 06:30
    Obviously one loves a great little conspiracy theory. And nobody seems to be spouting international conspiracy theories like Iranian leaders. The problem being that listening to Iranian leaders is like having sharp needles stuck into one's ears (much like sitting in evangelical churches, I may add).

I was just watching CNN (add that to the list of tortu ...[text shortened]... s this a case of just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.
    It's only a delusion if you believe something that is clearly untrue or impossibly unlikely.

It's not impossible that US/UK are being sneaky -- we have been in the past.

But I also don't think the Iranian leaders believe a lot of what they are alleging. They are just trying to manipulate public opinion so they can keep a firm grip on power, and the US/UK are convenient bogeymen.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 12:20
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    But I also don't think the Iranian leaders believe a lot of what they are alleging. They are just trying to manipulate public opinion so they can keep a firm grip on power, and the US/UK are convenient bogeymen.
    Does anybody seriously doubt that this is exactly what's going on?

What caused their unrest is the yearning of some of their people for reform and a perception, true or not, that the government suppressed the will of the people in the election. Everything else is hot air.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 13:261 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Does anybody seriously doubt that this is exactly what's going on?

What caused their unrest is the yearning of some of their people for reform and a perception, true or not, that the government suppressed the will of the people in the election. Everything else is hot air.
    If it was any other President I would not be surprised if the US was meddling. But Obama? Mister no more civilian casualties in Afghanistan?
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 13:41

I was just watching CNN (add that to the list of tortu ...[text shortened]... s this a case of just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.
    A very fun theory. Unfortunately, I must debunk it.

1. Iranian leaders say Britain and the US are behind the whole unrest.

And Islamic Jihad says the Mossad is behind 9/11. The Mossad is an evil bunch of jerkbags, certainly, but really? 9/11? Same with this. Iran has many good things about it, and the US and Britain not really, but really?

2. The international community (does this include Lichtenstein, I find myself pondering) condemns the holding of prisoners by Iranian authorities without them having lawyers (And I find myself wondering if the US mumbled anything along those lines...).

And this supports the assertion because ....

I mean, it's not like the US, Israel or Britain's rhetoric towards Iran has been unbiased the last...uh... 40 years or so. And the US did finance the Iraquee war against Iran in the 80's.

If you'll recall, the US financed both sides. It did not do it because of ideological agreement with either, but because of realpolitik. The US has little to gain from another war like this right now.

And the US did finance various "revolutions" in the former Soviet block (like the orange revolution).

A dark period in the country's history. Of course, the US also funded Saddam. Look how that "revolution" ended up.

I wonder, on a side track to do with point 2, if the international community does more than condemn Iran for the holding of these prisoners, what perspective that shines on this discussion, for the US was only condemned, and nothing else, for exactly the same.

Are you referring to Roxana Saberi? Because she was a CIA agent.

Any ideas? Is it really just paranoid delusions? What with a major US offensive in Afghanistan for no apparant reason, is this a case of just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.

No apparent reason?? There's a reason all right. And I can compress said reason to six letters: E-M-P-I-R-E
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 13:51

Coming soon to a converted mosque near you, Iranian Evangelism 2.0, where the vengeance that was going to target Israeli's and push them all the way into the Mediterranean will now be sublimated into an all encompassing concern that will help nationalise the countries guilt, thereby staying true to their core belief, relentlessly on mission, to help everyone turn off their TV to help excise the influence of that great satan, the Western world wide webby web of consumer driven, multigasmic experiences, which would so easily if it were allowed to proceed unchecked, quickly devolve into longer and longer bouts of introspective haranguing
  8. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 20:38
    Most likely Israeli Mossad if anything.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Jul '09 02:36
    maybe the Iranian people didn't LIKE the indications the election was rigged ...

maybe the Iranian people didn't LIKE the background to this in recent Iranian electoral history .... such as the removal from ballots of several thousand opposition candidates a few years ago (2000?) ....

maybe the Iranian people don't LIKE a theocratic executive (Khameini) with so much power ...

maybe the leaders in Iran fomented the unreset ON THEIR OWN ...
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Jul '09 04:18
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    maybe the Iranian people didn't LIKE the indications the election was rigged ...

maybe the Iranian people didn't LIKE the background to this in recent Iranian electoral history .... such as the removal from ballots of several thousand opposition candidates a few years ago (2000?) ....

maybe the Iranian people don't LIKE a theocratic executive (Khamei ...[text shortened]... i) with so much power ...

maybe the leaders in Iran fomented the unreset ON THEIR OWN ...
    Yes. and my general question is, considering the US and the UK's behaviour in recent history (the last 40 years) and the accusations of Iran, maybe they didn't...
  11. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 19:29
    Yes. and my general question is, considering the US and the UK's behaviour in recent history (the last 40 years) and the accusations of Iran, maybe they didn't...
    I find it likely that we are witnessing calculated strategy from the Iranian establishment to try to deflect interest from their own problems (whether the election was fair or not). It seems logical that many of those protesting have 'western' sympathies, so there's the obvious link.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the BBC that have purportedly been the 'real' perpetrators of unrest. Perhaps they weren't too happy about the undercover BBC reporters who were trying to remain in Tehran after they had been told to bugger off so that they couldn't publicise the events...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree