1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 19:041 edit
    Apparently the DOJ has filed a lawsuit to stop the merger. Anyone particularly disagree with the decision?

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/31/technology/att_tmobile_antitrust/index.htm?hpt=hp_t1

The Federal Communications Commission, which oversees the wireless industry, is in the midst of its own review of the proposed merger.

Following the DOJ's announcement, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said that the agency also believes the merger raises "serious concerns about the impact ... on competition."

Shares of AT&T (T, Fortune 500) tumbled more than 4%.

Wayne Watts, AT&T's general counsel, said in a statement that the company was "surprised and disappointed by today's action." He went on to say that the company remained "confident that this merger is in the best interest of consumers and our country, and the facts will prevail in court."

[...]

2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 19:06
    Relevant bit of trivia: Carlos Slim Helu, in Mexico, has a monopoly on cell phones.
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 19:26
    I don't know the details of the decision, but I think the merger is a bad thing for the consumer.

There's no way that this merger will somehow lower prices or increase the competition in the market.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 22:30
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Apparently the DOJ has filed a lawsuit to stop the merger. Anyone particularly disagree with the decision?

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/31/technology/att_tmobile_antitrust/index.htm?hpt=hp_t1

The Federal Communications Commission, which oversees the wireless industry, is in the midst of its own review of the proposed merger.

Following the DO ...[text shortened]... st of consumers and our country, and the facts will prevail in court."

[...]

The merger was to have created 5,000 jobs.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 22:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That must be interesting math, because usually mergers result in job losses.

AT&T sucks rhino balls because they're overpriced, and T-Mobile eats cow pies because their coverage is crappy. Next stop: Verizon.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 00:03
    If you honestly believe that then you're seriously deluded.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 00:40
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    That must be interesting math, because usually mergers result in job losses.

AT&T sucks rhino balls because they're overpriced, and T-Mobile eats cow pies because their coverage is crappy. Next stop: Verizon.
    ATT knows Verizon has its network beat, therefore the merger with T-Mobile.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 00:40
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If you honestly believe that then you're seriously deluded.
    Convince me otherwise.
  9. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 00:44
    Convince me otherwise.
    Convince you, he's already called you seriously deluded, how much more convincing do you need?
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 00:56
    Convince me otherwise.
    He's right. Mergers are quite often followed by job losses. Inevitably jobs between the two companies become redundant.

Where did you get your +5000 number?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree