1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 22:341 edit
    Apparently the city of MIami is considering banning people from giving food to the homeless in the city. They say it is in an effort to reduce litter and ensure people are only fed "good" food.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/26/miami-officials-consider-proposal-restrict-feeding-homeless/?test=latestnews

Of course, if one were to undergo "training" in feeding the homeless, they would be allowed to do so.

It would not surprise me if one day all privately run charities are banned in favor of only government sponsered welfare.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 23:111 edit
    The city wants to require groups that are involved with giving food to the homeless to have some form of training to insure they don't serve spoiled food, leave trash after their free lunch brigade leaves, etc.

Claiming they want to ban feeding the homeless is misleading. Homeless advocacy groups are in support of the measure so there's no need to start wringing your hands you'll still get your free food.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 23:301 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Apparently the city of MIami is considering banning people from giving food to the homeless in the city. They say it is in an effort to reduce litter and ensure people are only fed "good" food.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/26/miami-officials-consider-proposal-restrict-feeding-homeless/?test=latestnews

Of course, if one were to undergo "train ne day all privately run charities are banned in favor of only government sponsered welfare.
    These are the same reasons you see when they ban you from feeding ducks and geese in the park. Perhaps Miami considers the homeless to be at the same level as waterfowl? 😀
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 23:44

It would not surprise me if one day all privately run charities are banned in favor of only government sponsered welfare.
    Hopefully. That's why I pay taxes.
  5. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 03:02
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    These are the same reasons you see when they ban you from feeding ducks and geese in the park. Perhaps Miami considers the homeless to be at the same level as waterfowl? 😀
    ...but the main reason is not to attract MORE waterfowl. Or homeless.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 06:20

Of course, if one were to undergo "train ...[text shortened]... ne day all privately run charities are banned in favor of only government sponsered welfare.
    Isn't Florida a GOP state?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 12:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Isn't Florida a GOP state?
    Yea, crazy, huh?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 12:071 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Hopefully. That's why I pay taxes.
    So you have no problem having statists come in and baning private charities?
  9. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 08:35
    You're telling me they won't reduce their carbon emissions by any serious international standard, but now they care so much about the environment that they're concerning themselves with the litter of homeless people?

And they don't trust the citizens to give them unspoiled food?

How is a fat politician in a position to tell a homeless person what they should and shouldn't eat?

This seems like a shameful disgrace.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 11:581 edit
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    You're telling me they won't reduce their carbon emissions by any serious international standard, but now they care so much about the environment that they're concerning themselves with the litter of homeless people?

And they don't trust the citizens to give them unspoiled food?

How is a fat politician in a position to tell a homeless person what they should and shouldn't eat?

This seems like a shameful disgrace.
    I can't wait to see how the statist penalize those who do give food to the homeless who are not "authroized" to do so. It seems to me it should be like doing CPR.
    Good Samaritan laws allow pretty much anyone to attempt saving those who need saved without worry of being sued.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 13:35
    I can't wait to see how the statist penalize those who do give food to the homeless who are not "authroized" to do so. It seems to me it should be like doing CPR.
    Good Samaritan laws allow pretty much anyone to attempt saving those who need saved without worry of being sued.
    Why not give credit to those statists who came up with the Good Samaritan laws?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 14:14
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    The city wants to require groups that are involved with giving food to the homeless to have some form of training to insure they don't serve spoiled food, leave trash after their free lunch brigade leaves, etc.

Claiming they want to ban feeding the homeless is misleading. Homeless advocacy groups are in support of the measure so there's no need to start wringing your hands you'll still get your free food.
    Sounds like a perfectly reasonable regulation to me.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 14:18
    So you have no problem having statists come in and baning private charities?
    I think all charities should quit. And preferably sooner than later.

Their existence takes the responsibility away from government.
  14. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 18:07
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I think all charities should quit. And preferably sooner than later.

Their existence takes the responsibility away from government.
    If I had to depend on the government in Toronto for food I'd be dead.

Organizations whose sole purpose is to feed hungry people can do that better than an organization whose purpose is to convince the population that they're feeding hungry people.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 19:17
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham

they don't already get that?

food lines around here have been shut down (maybe temporarily) for violating the food safety laws and failing health inspections, e.g., for not having the required number of sinks for washing dishes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree