1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 18:37
    I don't know if they have them in your country, but here in Ireland we have a thing called a "Head Shops" They are shops that sell drug paraphernalia, the usual Tshirts and stuff, and - and here is the contentious part - legal highs. Due to a loophole in the law these shops have been able to sell pills and powders that contain designer drugs (mephedrone, methylone and the likes) by selling them as substances not for human consumption, thus being able to sell grams of these "Bath salts" to anyone who wants to .....well, you get the idea.

There is a plan to push through legislation to ban these shops, and i for one think this is a bad idea. Rather than banning them, i think some age restrictions would suffice. The funny thing about this is that drug related drug crime is through the roof here as gangs fight turf wars, and the head shops are putting drug dealers out of business by selling similar (aparently better) products which the Goernment are recieving much needed tax from.

Surely the logical thinking would be to leave these shops open, keep the party peope legal, and earn tax revenue. the selling of products for achieving altered states surely has to be up there with farming and prostitution as the oldest professions out there, and it wont og away....closing these shops seems counter-intuitive to me. Are we really wanting to give drug dealers more drugs to add to their money making list?

Please discuss.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 20:26
    Legalize all drugs. Nothing left to discuss.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:28
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_shop#Legality
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 23:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Legalize all drugs. Nothing left to discuss.
    Simple really isn't it, except when universal health care is thrown into the mix. I don't believe I should go on a waiting list behind someone who has been reckless with drug consumption or have my level of care lessened at all because of drug abuse.

The other insidious side of forced health care funding, your nieghbor now stakes a claim on what you can and can not do with your own body.

A dilemma for KN, solved by applying a lit match to state health care.

The banning of headshops is just another offshoot of your collectivist philosophy, just another contradiction you have to try to shore up.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 00:13
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Simple really isn't it, except when universal health care is thrown into the mix. I don't believe I should go on a waiting list behind someone who has been reckless with drug consumption or have my level of care lessened at all because of drug abuse.

The other insidious side of forced health care funding, your nieghbor now stakes a claim on what you can a ...[text shortened]... shoot of your collectivist philosophy, just another contradiction you have to try to shore up.
    Why do you hate democracy?
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 00:23

The other insidious side of forced health care funding, your nieghbor now stakes a claim on what you can a ...[text shortened]... shoot of your collectivist philosophy, just another contradiction you have to try to shore up.
    Do you mind going on this hypothetical waiting list for smokers and drinkers?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 07:46

I think that waiting list is going to be pretty short if everyone who ever took a bad decision concerning their health was excluded.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 09:25
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Do you mind going on this hypothetical waiting list for smokers and drinkers?
    Yes.

And there is nothing hypothetical about it for those who have paid taxes all their life and then spend a year in agony (yes, that's right - agony) waiting for a new knee while being bumped down and down the list by non-tax payers who have been reckless with their health.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 09:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Something doesn't automatically become right if 51% of the sheep go baaaa instead of maaaaa, and in reality the numbers are far less than the magic 50% or whatever arbitrary percentage you want to pull out of your ass.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 10:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    We all know that the route to true freedom is a dictatorship.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 18:02
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I don't know if they have them in your country, but here in Ireland we have a thing called a "Head Shops" They are shops that sell drug paraphernalia, the usual Tshirts and stuff, and - and here is the contentious part - legal highs. Due to a loophole in the law these shops have been able to sell pills and powders that contain designer drugs (mephed ...[text shortened]... nting to give drug dealers more drugs to add to their money making list?

Please discuss.
    Well, this is obviously a huge mistake.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would agree with something like this.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 20:41
    Reveal Hidden Content
    Inalienable Right to Pursue Happiness
  13. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 08:12
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I don't know if they have them in your country, but here in Ireland we have a thing called a "Head Shops" They are shops that sell drug paraphernalia, the usual Tshirts and stuff, and - and here is the contentious part - legal highs. Due to a loophole in the law these shops have been able to sell pills and powders that contain designer drugs (mephed ...[text shortened]... nting to give drug dealers more drugs to add to their money making list?

Please discuss.
    I assume you mean methadone, a drug used to help Heroin user go clean, however it is just as bad to kick itself.
    I have no problem with cannabis, I stay away from those others, like the plague
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 22:42
    We have head shops in the USA. they sell herb combinations that give you a body high or slight head high. They are not sold to those under 19.

I've heard of a new fake cannibus type synthetic "drug" called JWH-018 that is supposed to be quite fun. It is banned in several countries but yet in the good old USA.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 22:50
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I assume you mean methadone, a drug used to help Heroin user go clean, however it is just as bad to kick itself.
    I have no problem with cannabis, I stay away from those others, like the plague
    No, he doesn't mean methadone.

Methadone is a prescription drug and can only be prescribed by a doctor.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree