1. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Dec '16 14:29
    Originally posted by sh76
    We could eat fast food and still be healthy, we just have to eat it smartly and in sensible portions.
    You need a bit of variety to get all the necessary vitamins. Obviously when it comes to calories we can eat absolutely anything and remain a reasonable weight so long as we consume a reasonable quantity.
    The problem with fast food - the drinks not the burgers, is the sugar is addictive and makes you want more later on.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Dec '16 14:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You need a bit of variety to get all the necessary vitamins. Obviously when it comes to calories we can eat absolutely anything and remain a reasonable weight so long as we consume a reasonable quantity.
    The problem with fast food - the drinks not the burgers, is the sugar is addictive and makes you want more later on.
    ===The problem with fast food - the drinks not the burgers, is the sugar is addictive and makes you want more later on.===

Well, that's not the food. You can have soda just as easily with any meal and you can easily not have soda with a fast food meal.

Of course ideally I'd drink water all the time, but when I do have sweet drinks, they're almost always no-calorie drinks. I've read the studies about how diet soda makes you crave more sweet things and makes you eat more sweet things later. Yeah... I'll chance it.

As far as vitamin variety, a Big Mac is probably just as nutrient diversified as most other meals we'd eat anyway. Also, vitamin supplements (which I take anyway) can make the vitamin issue moot.

I know this wasn't in your post, but many people blame fast food places for the obesity epidemic. I disagree. I think fast food places are tools that can be used responsibly or irresponsibly.

A 14 year old girl who weighed 270 pounds sued McDonald's a few years ago for making her fat. She claimed that she had a Big Mac, fries, a milkshake and apple pie in her way home from school on most days. Conservatively, that's 1,500 calories in a single meal (or between meals, for all I know). Sure, if you use it like that fast food restaurants are poison centers. But fast food places can also be used responsibly if people are willing to do a little research and exercise a little self-discipline.
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Dec '16 21:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    ===The problem with fast food - the drinks not the burgers, is the sugar is addictive and makes you want more later on.===

Well, that's not the food. You can have soda just as easily with any meal and you can easily not have soda with a fast food meal.

Of course ideally I'd drink water all the time, but when I do have sweet drinks, they're almost always n ...[text shortened]... responsibly if people are willing to do a little research and exercise a little self-discipline.
    The problem is that it's cheap and quick. Yes, there can be responsible use of fast food just as there can be responsible use of alcohol. But the chief cause of alcoholism? Alcohol.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Dec '16 14:44
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    The problem is that it's cheap and quick. Yes, there can be responsible use of fast food just as there can be responsible use of alcohol. But the chief cause of alcoholism? Alcohol.
    And yet we don't vilify and sue Jack Daniels.

The chief cause of alcoholism is human irresponsible use of alcohol, not the alcohol itself.

(I suppose this had to devolve into a personal responsibility thread sooner or later... 😉)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree