1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 May '10 01:341 edit
    Apparantly a strategically placed sign was placed along a road way that Obama was scheduled to travel down that read, "Mr. President, I need a freakin' job, period." With unemployment hovering close to a little under 10% many are becoming restless.

So I ask you, is it the job of the President of the United States to find us jobs? Why do Americans feel compelled to hang all of their hopes on one man? In fact, where are the billboards saying, "Mr. President, I need a freakin' car"?

Outside of hiring people directly to work for the government I can't think of anyway the President can find us jobs. Of course, there are things that can be done to stimulate the economy that may generate jobs or even do that might hinder the economy, but I'm sure not all of would agree as to what those things may be. For example, I think the stinulus bill and jobs bill were nothing more than a cruel joke. If not, where are the jobs?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2049
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 May '10 01:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Outside of hiring people directly to work for the government I can't think of anyway the President can find us jobs.
    Strange then that you have often chided him for not doing so on this very forum.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 May '10 02:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Strange then that you have often chided him for not doing so on this very forum.
    I have chided him for not stimulating the economy or inacting policies that I felt hindered the economy. If left to their own devices, the economic engines should recover on their own eventually. However, with tinkering here and there with massive spending and increased threats of taxation via the new health care bill and cap and trade and expanding government who are all paid via our taxes I dare say he has only hurt the economic recovery. If not, where are all the jobs?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 May '10 02:36
    I have chided him for not stimulating the economy or inacting policies that I felt hindered the economy. If left to their own devices, the economic engines should recover on their own eventually. However, with tinkering here and there with massive spending and increased threats of taxation via the new health care bill and cap and trade and expanding governm ...[text shortened]... ia our taxes I dare say he has only hurt the economic recovery. If not, where are all the jobs?
    How many more jobs would have been lost had there been no stimulus? What would the unemployment rate have been without it? 12%, 14% more? Your contention that the economic recovery would have been faster if the government had not taken the steps it took is interetsing. Of course, imperfect as it was, the health care reform was a considerable political triumph for the government. Especially at this time of crisis. There are few things as important as access to health care. This is even more the case in hard economic times.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 May '10 02:38
    If left to their own devices, the economic engines should recover on their own eventually.
    And you claim that this is what you advocated here at RHP two years ago and one year ago?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 May '10 03:492 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    How many more jobs would have been lost had there been no stimulus? What would the unemployment rate have been without it? 12%, 14% more? Your contention that the economic recovery would have been faster if the government had not taken the steps it took is interetsing. Of course, imperfect as it was, the health care reform was a considerable political triumph fo ...[text shortened]... things as important as access to health care. This is even more the case in hard economic times.
    This is all pure speculation. It is unprovable. Even if it did help stabalize the unemployment rate, what is better, is a few percentage points higher in unemployment better than trillions more in debt? You either pay now or later and it would appear the future generations are going to wind up paying.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 May '10 03:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    And you claim that this is what you advocated here at RHP two years ago and one year ago?
    Are you referring only to the stimulus package?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 May '10 04:03
    This is all pure speculation. It is unprovable.
    Well that takes care of that then. One wouldn't want to bandy about unprovable things now, would one, whodey?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 May '10 04:04
    Are you referring only to the stimulus package?
    I am referring to your selective memory and the way you deploy hindsight without admitting it.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 May '10 04:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am referring to your selective memory and the way you deploy hindsight without admitting it.
    Just spit it out. What are you talking about?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 May '10 05:07
    I have chided him for not stimulating the economy or inacting policies that I felt hindered the economy.
    So let's see. You hold two opinions in your head at the same time: "I can't think of any way the President can find us jobs" and "I have chided him for not [finding us jobs by] stimulating the economy". Handy.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 May '10 05:08
    If left to their own devices, the economic engines should recover on their own eventually.
    When did you start advocating this? I seem to remember you being both FOR and AGAINST the stimulus package - and you taking your cues from the GOP's flip flops.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    14 May '10 07:381 edit
    I believe the political leadership should ensure unemployment does not get signficantly above 5% or so. This is actually a lot easier than you think, whodey, but you may not like the solution. And my guess is Obama does not like it much either.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    14 May '10 07:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    When did you start advocating this? I seem to remember you being both FOR and AGAINST the stimulus package - and you taking your cues from the GOP's flip flops.
    I suppose whodey has never heard of the Great Depression.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 May '10 07:50
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I suppose whodey has never heard of the Great Depression.
    In WhodeyWorld the Great Depression was caused by the things that brought it to an end.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree