Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '18 00:05
    https://media.jamanetwork.com/news-item/differences-u-s-infant-mortality-rates-among-black-white-babies/

cultural thing I guess.
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '18 12:26
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    https://media.jamanetwork.com/news-item/differences-u-s-infant-mortality-rates-among-black-white-babies/

cultural thing I guess.
    what/ no douchless sixty foe or sluzy comments? LMFAO...its hard when confronted with facts isn't it?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    30 Apr '18 19:10
    what/ no douchless sixty foe or sluzy comments? LMFAO...its hard when confronted with facts isn't it?
    You're an imbecile.

Confront that fact.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    30 Apr '18 19:24

cultural thing I guess.
    Seems like it's mostly a racism thing:

Now, a growing body of evidence points to racial discrimination, rather than race itself, as the dominant factor in explaining why so many black babies are dying. The research suggests that what happens outside a woman’s body—not just during the nine months of pregnancy—can profoundly affect the biology within. One study found that black women living in poorer neighborhoods were more likely to have low-birth-weight infants regardless of their own socioeconomic status. More segregated cities have greater black/white infant-mortality disparities; women whose babies are born severely underweight are more likely to report experiences of discrimination.

https://www.thenation.com/article/whats-killing-americas-black-infants/
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '18 19:32
    Originally posted by @no1marauder

Now, a growing body of evidence points to racial discrimination, rather than race itself, as the dominant factor in explaining why so many black babies are dying. The research suggests that what happens outside a woman’s body—not just during the nine months of pregnancy—can profoundly affect the biology within. ...[text shortened]... s of discrimination.

OMG...you are an idiot!
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Apr '18 19:55
    OMG...you are an idiot!
    "It's hard when confronted with facts, isn't it?"
  7. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 May '18 20:21
    You do you feel the need to engage in childish name calling? Many people here disagree on issues, but don't resort to this.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 May '18 20:37
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    "It's hard when confronted with facts, isn't it?"
    At least we agree on you being an idiot. I cant believe you were stupid enough to post that...LOL
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 May '18 20:38
    Originally posted by @mchill
    You do you feel the need to engage in childish name calling? Many people here disagree on issues, but don't resort to this.
    lets see mchill, with your baseless statement, what do you hope to accomplish?
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 May '18 21:371 edit
    lets see mchill, with your baseless statement, what do you hope to accomplish?
    My statement is based on manners, but I'm not surprised that went over your head.
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 May '18 01:25
    Originally posted by @mchill
    My statement is based on manners, but I'm not surprised that went over your head.
    Answer me this...if I told you to STFU...would you consider that bad manners? And did I miss you being appointed manners police?
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 May '18 01:392 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder to Mott-the-Hoopie

Now, a growing body of evidence points to racial discrimination, rather than race itself, as the dominant factor in explaining why so many black babies are dying. The research suggests that what happens outside a woman’s body—not just during the nine months of pregnancy—can profoundly affect t ...[text shortened]... s of discrimination.

https://www.thenation.com/article/whats-killing-americas-black-infants

"... studies have found that foreign-born black women living in the United States have
    birth outcomes almost identical to white American women’s."

So would No1Marauder like to believe that American racism hurts US-born black women
    but NOT (nearly as much) 'foreign-born black women' in the context of infant mortality?
    Why should there be less racism against foreign-born than US-born black women?
    Or why should foreign-born be better than US-born black women at coping with racism?

Would a racist ask a black woman to show her birth certificate, so the racist can know
    where she was born before deciding whether to discriminate against her? (sarcasm)

"Institutional racism is like a thicket of thorny plants: After a woman spends a few decades
    walking through it, it can be hard to tell which particular prick led to her child’s death,
    or if it was all of them together."

Some well-educated non-white people have made financial sacrifices to leave the USA
    (where they were born and grew up) in order to live in poorer but less racist societies.
    The real costs of racism may be hard to measure economically with precision, but everyone
    who's been afflicted by real racism for a long time (not the white people here who like to
    play at being victims of racism) knows that racism is like a cancer attacking one's soul.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '18 01:49
    At least we agree on you being an idiot. I cant believe you were stupid enough to post that...LOL
    Wow, stupid really is as stupid does.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 May '18 05:153 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.thenation.com/article/whats-killing-americas-black-infants

"... studies have found that foreign-born black women living in the United States have
    birth outcomes almost identical to white American women’s."

So would No1Marauder like to believe that American racism hurts US-born black women
    but NOT (nearly as much) 'foreign-born black w ...[text shortened]... ke to
    play at being victims of racism) knows that racism is like a cancer attacking one's soul.
    Because they haven't been exposed to it all their lives?

The article presents facts, not my opinion. I suggest you read it in its entirety. If you do, you'll find its conclusions comport with your "racism as cancer" speech.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 May '18 19:551 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Because they haven't been exposed to it all their lives?

The article presents facts, not my opinion. I suggest you read it in its entirety.
    If you do, you'll find its conclusions comport with your "racism as cancer" speech.
    "The article presents facts, not my opinion."
    --No1Marauder

No. The article presents a mixture of facts, informed conjecture, and the author's conclusions.
    It's far from a mathematical proof (No1Marauder disingenuously attempts to hold me to
    that absurd standard in arguing outside mathematics) of why US-born (but not foreign-born)
    black women have much higher infant mortality rates than white women.

"Because they [foreign-born black women] haven't been exposed to it [racism] all their lives?"
    --No1Marauder

This is speculation. For one thing, No1Marauder has no way of knowing how long a
    foreign-born black woman lived outside the USA. If she moved to the USA at an early
    enough age, then she may have no memory whatsoever of life outside the USA.
    For another thing, No1Marauder assumes that a foreign-born black woman must have
    experienced no racism outside the USA, but that's not necessarily true. What if she
    was born in apartheid South Africa? Or what if she was a Tutsi who survived the genocide
    in Rwanda? In fact, there has been much hatred and violence between different ethnic
    groups (once called 'tribes' ) in black Africa.

In any case, what's more relevant is the black women's experiences in the USA, particularly
    when they become pregnant and give birth only during life in the USA. Can anyone
    explain why American anti-black racism supposedly would afflict US-born black women
    much more than foreign-born black women at the same time?

I would add that studies have found significant differences between foreign-born blacks
    and US-born blacks in other ways. such as educational outcomes. Foreign-born black
    children tend to have significantly better academic achievement than US-born black children.
    This could be explained in terms of cultural differences between black immigrants and
    African Americans (mostly descended from slaves). But this difference in academic
    achievement among black children does undercut the argument (which No1Marauder
    apparently loves) that racism terribly afflicts about all black children equally and predestines
    almost all of them to academic failure. The "racism alone must be to blame for all
    black academic underachievement' hypothesis deserves to be challenged and criticized.
    Why do foreign-born black children do better than US-born black children in American schools?