1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    31 May '16 12:32
    YouTube

This 15 year old speaker has been excluded from a public speaking competition because of complaints from a right wing Zionist blogger. As a result her speech is on its way to go viral. Another good outcome for Truth and against bigotry.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 May '16 16:39
    Originally posted by finnegan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T37AAsE-Ekw

This 15 year old speaker has been excluded from a public speaking competition because of complaints from a right wing Zionist blogger. As a result her speech is on its way to go viral. Another good outcome for Truth and against bigotry.
    Excellent speech! I wonder if counter arguments were given equal attention?

Are we reaching the point, or already there, where truth is determined by popularity, and the skill of the advocate?
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 16:33
    Originally posted by normbenign

Are we reaching the point, or already there, where truth is determined by popularity, and the skill of the advocate?
    Your question about counter arguments is hardly appropriate to this context. A public speaking competition is not a debate. Each speaker chooses their own topic. I do not think we would usually expect a speaker to present all points of view in a balanced way. We would usually expect a speaker to show some passion for their chosen topic. It is the job of the audience to avoid being unduly persuaded by one sided arguments while giving due credit for the thing that was relevant - a schoolgirl learning to speak in public. If it was indeed an excellent speech, given the age of the speaker, then it is regrettable that it resulted in her being excluded from the competition on the grounds given and as a result of external influence by political agitators.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 06:49
    Originally posted by normbenign

Frightened by a 15 year-old girl?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree