Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 20:191 edit
    In one week the UK vote to exit or remain in Europe.
    I don't understand why the debate's become about immigration. Or is it that small brains come alive when they read a paper?
    An MP was murdered this afternoon & the killer shouted "Britain First". Terrifying (ignorant people are Scarry, ones with guns and knieves more so).
    But why had the debate concentrated on immigration?
    The treaty gives freedom of movement & we move out as much as anyone moves in. We move out largely to retire (add little to the new country but enjoy cheaper living) and those who come here need to work to retain their right to reside (in the main), adding skills workforce and living in our expensive island, bringing a diversity we need. It's a small part of what would change in or out. Isn't it?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 20:39
    Originally posted by yo its me
    I don't understand why the debate's become about immigration.
    YouTube
  3. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 21:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [youtube]sIzivCJ9pzU[/youtube]
    "They took our jobs" ?? Probably an accent thing....hard to hear what they're saying.
    Seriously how dose someone take someone else's job?! Nonsensical drivel.
  4. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 21:25
    "They took our jobs" ?? Probably an accent thing....hard to hear what they're saying.
    I hope you find out
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 22:32
    YouTube
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 05:362 edits
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I hope you find out
    Would you be so kind as to explain, please Phil?
    Assume I'm completely ignorant of these things & really break it down if you can.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 07:25
    I think these people [who are mocked in the South Park episode] think that in each country there is a jar with X number of jobs, and if an immigrant enters the country to do a job it automatically means an "original" inhabitant loses a job.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 11:431 edit
    we move out as much as anyone moves in.
    But that's not true, is it?
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 11:47
    In one week the UK vote to exit or remain in Europe.
    I don't understand why the debate's become about immigration. Or is it that small brains come alive when they read a paper?
    An MP was murdered this afternoon & the killer shouted "Britain First". Terrifying (ignorant people are Scarry, ones with guns and knieves more so).
    But why had the debate concen ...[text shortened]... sland, bringing a diversity we need. It's a small part of what would change in or out. Isn't it?
    On a broader note, the worst mistake politicians have made over the last 20 years has been to dismiss anyone raising a concern over immigration as either stupid and/or racist.

If anything these attitudes (as exemplified by KN) have become a prime reason why Brexit is now a real possibility.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 12:13
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    But that's not true, is it?
    Indeed it is not, there is a fairly modest net immigration to the UK currently.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 12:16
    On a broader note, the worst mistake politicians have made over the last 20 years has been to dismiss anyone raising a concern over immigration as either stupid and/or racist.

If anything these attitudes (as exemplified by KN) have become a prime reason why Brexit is now a real possibility.
    I think the problem for politicians is that they cannot outright dismiss nationalism-based arguments because they might appear unpatriotic even though everyone should obviously be unpatriotic if we have learned anything from the world wars. So politicians have to beat around the bush and frame the case for staying in the EU as "serving Britain's interests" even though it's completely beside the point.
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 12:371 edit
    Indeed it is not, there is a fairly modest net immigration to the UK currently.
    Fairly modest net immigration is not just the position 'currently', though is it?

It has been the position for at least 10 years (probably longer), The longer-term trend is upwards and likely to continue so for the foreseeable future.

And net immigration is not evenly distributed throughout the UK and does not affect all communities in the same way.

Again, I think your attitude is one of the reason's why Brexit is now a very real possibility.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 12:39
    I think the problem for politicians is that they cannot outright dismiss nationalism-based arguments because they might appear unpatriotic even though everyone should obviously be unpatriotic if we have learned anything from the world wars. So politicians have to beat around the bush and frame the case for staying in the EU as "serving Britain's interests" even though it's completely beside the point.
    Yes, you make my point very well.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 13:45
    Fairly modest net immigration is not just the position 'currently', though is it?

It has been the position for at least 10 years (probably longer), The longer-term trend is upwards and likely to continue so for the foreseeable future.

And net immigration is not evenly distributed throughout the UK and does not affect all communities in the sam ...[text shortened]...
    Again, I think your attitude is one of the reason's why Brexit is now a very real possibility.
    I think my attitude, relatively unknown among people eligible to vote in the referendum, has a negligible influence on the possibility of a Brexit.
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 14:05
    I think my attitude, relatively unknown among people eligible to vote in the referendum, has a negligible influence on the possibility of a Brexit.
    You do understand that, if I say that I don't like 'your car', it is quite likely I will not like the cars owned by other people if they are of the same make, model and colour?