Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Dec '13 22:30
    http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/12/10/bush-booed-mandela-memorial/

"A sterling example of the maxim, no good deed goes unpunished.

Former President George Bush was booed when he appeared on the video monitor at today's memorial for Nelson Mendela in Johannesburg, South Africa, according to the White House pool report, which cited local press outlets.

Meanwhile, when the images President Obama and Michelle popped up, there was a 30 second deafening roar.

How sad. Bush has done a far greater amount for South Africa than Obama. But Obama is much better at crafting his public image and saying the right things.

Bush personally saved the lives of millions of South Africans with his President's emergency plan for AIDS relief, or PEPFAR, ensuring AIDS drugs are available in South Africa's impoverished masses.

From a Washington Post piece describing how Bush's achievements were haunting Obama's June trip to South Africa:

'In South Africa, the success of (PEPFAR) was extraordinary. AIDS killed roughly 2.3 million in South Africa -- once one of the worst affected countries in the world -- and orphaned about a million children there, according to the UN. Today, rates of infection have fallen to 30%, and nearly 2 million people are on antiretroviral drugs.'

Meanwhile, Obama has cut PEPFAR funding and generally been his customary inattentive self. From the same Post piece:

'AIDS advocates on Sunday said that Obama administration budget cuts that have slashed hundreds of millions of dollars from PEPFAR threaten to turn back years of progress in the fight against the AIDS epidemic. Last year, the administration unveiled a budget that reduces AIDS funding globally by roughly $214 million, the first time an American president has reduced the US commitment to fighting the epidemic since it broke out in the 1980's during the Reagan administration.

"Knowing that Africa has many challenges, with fighting AIDS being one of the biggest challenges, we were really expecting President Obama to continue where President Bush had left off," said Hilary Thulare, country director of the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, a Los Angeles based nonprofit group that works in 26 countries providing medical care to people with AIDS. "But it's been a disappointment. Obama is retreating on AIDS an, by this, retreating on Africa."

Thulare said she wished Obama was inspired by Mandela when it came to fighting AIDS.

I'm sure those desperately in need of AIDS drugs in South Africa would be happy to hear that Mandela's saga "woke me up to my responsibilities to others and to myself," as Obama said today.

Meanwhile, Obama today delivered a speech, shared some stirring words, accepted his applause, and went home. I imagine most of those awestruck by Obama and contemptuous of his predecessor are HIV negative.

Bush is still heavily involved in South Africa, turning his focus last year to cervical and breast cancer and traveling repeatedly to the continent.

I assume he knows that even as he was booed in Johannesburg, God was cheering, and millions of South Africans who would be dead are going about their lives.'
  2. 10 Dec '13 22:31
    I suppose it is enough for me to know that Obama is booed at sports events in the US like at NASCAR and the NBA.
  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Dec '13 23:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    I suppose it is enough for me to know that Obama is booed at sports events in the US like at NASCAR and the NBA.
    Getting booed because of a terrible website vs. getting booed because countless lives were lost based on a lie....

Obama wins.
  4. 11 Dec '13 02:18
    Originally posted by vivify
    Getting booed because of a terrible website vs. getting booed because countless lives were lost based on a lie....

Obama wins.
    Countless lives lost because of a lie?

What are you talking about?
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    11 Dec '13 02:41 / 1 edit
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/23/bush.iraq/

''President Bush and his top aids publically made 935 false statements about the security risk posed by Iraq''.

All the lives of soldiers and Iraqi civilians lost in war Bush started with lies.
  6. 11 Dec '13 03:09 / 1 edit

''President Bush and his top aids publically made 935 false statements about the security risk posed by Iraq''.

All the lives of soldiers and Iraqi civilians lost in war Bush started with lies.
    Oh, I thought you were talking about SOUTH AFRICA, specifically because this thread was about SOUTH AFRICA.

Silly me.

If you would rather, we can come up with the lies about Libya from Obama. I think it might be more fitting since Libya is at least in Africa.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    11 Dec '13 04:47 / 1 edit
    Oh, I thought you were talking about SOUTH AFRICA, specifically because this thread was about SOUTH AFRICA.

Silly me.

If you would rather, we can come up with the lies about Libya from Obama. I think it might be more fitting since Libya is at least in Africa.
    You realize the whole world started hating us after Iraq, right? And guess what? Africa's part of the world. And note how I generously left out Katrina (which largely affected blacks) and ''enhanced interrogation''.

Concerning Obama: did his sopposed ''lies'' amount to anywhere near Bush's 935?
  8. 11 Dec '13 10:15

Ouch, that gotta hurt!
  9. 11 Dec '13 12:06
    You realize the whole world started hating us after Iraq, right? And guess what? Africa's part of the world. And note how I generously left out Katrina (which largely affected blacks) and ''enhanced interrogation''.

Concerning Obama: did his sopposed ''lies'' amount to anywhere near Bush's 935?
    So the world hated the US only after Iraq? Really? Is that when terrorism started?

I really have no interest here in defending Bush. Everyone knows my feelings about him, but to think that Obama is somehow better is hilarious.

Let's look at some of the lies Obama has sold us.

1. The US is going to provide a no fly zone in Libya. Next thing you know he is bombing the hell out of that country. No fly zone? Really?

2. The US is not targeting Gadaffi. Really? Every time we saw areas that he might be in being bombed to hell and back we were reminded that he was never really a target.

3. It was not really a war, so there is no need to consult Congress. Really? I thought war was when you attacked and killed other people. Maybe when you are not the one getting attacked it seems less like a war.

4. The US is only there to protect innocent civilians from being murdered. Really? Saddam killed far more than Gadaffi ever thought about killing. In fact, he wiped out an entire city of Kurds with WMD's. By that logic, he would have also felt obligated to go into Iraq just like "W". The truth of the matter is, there be oil there!!
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    11 Dec '13 14:46
    Let's make this simple: who's hated more worldwide' Bush or Obama?
  11. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    11 Dec '13 15:16
    http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/12/10/bush-booed-mandela-memorial/

"A sterling example of the maxim, no good deed goes unpunished.

Former President George Bush was booed when he appeared on the video monitor at today's memorial for Nelson Mendela in Johannesburg, South Africa, according to the White House pool report, which cited local press outle ...[text shortened]... God was cheering, and millions of South Africans who would be dead are going about their lives.'
    You're right whodey, Poor george w bush just doesen't get the respect he deserves, of course we're not supposed talk about the fact that little george lied through his teeth about those weapons of mass destruction in Iraq sending 4000+ American troops to needless deaths (many of them african americans), and who's policies gave us the biggest economic crash since the great depression, bringing with it intense misery on the african american community. I just can't figure out why his (tax deductible) check, and photo op's with the african kids were not apperciated more. I tell ya, there's just no justice in the world!
  12. 12 Dec '13 13:59
    Let's make this simple: who's hated more worldwide' Bush or Obama?
    Right now Obama.
  13. 12 Dec '13 14:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    You're right whodey, Poor george w bush just doesen't get the respect he deserves, of course we're not supposed talk about the fact that little george lied through his teeth about those weapons of mass destruction in Iraq sending 4000+ American troops to needless deaths (many of them african americans), and who's policies gave us the biggest economic crash s ...[text shortened]... h the african kids were not apperciated more. I tell ya, there's just no justice in the world!
    I never said that the man deserved respect. I don't even like him.

My point here is that Obama is seen as better even though Bush did much more for South Africans that Obama. Why? I guess the answer is only skin deep.

Vivfy is trying to blame this all on Iraq which I think is hilarious when it is all about race. After all, Obama continued the wars and started another and wanted to start one in Syria. Why? The same reasons Saddam was taken out apparently.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    12 Dec '13 14:57
    Right now Obama.
    Ooh, this'll be good. Name the country that likes Bush more than Obama.
  15. 12 Dec '13 18:32
    Originally posted by vivify to whodey
    Ooh, this'll be good. Name the country that likes Bush more than Obama.
    Israel's government (led by Netanyahu) seems to prefer George W Bush
    to Barack Obama as the US President, even though Obama has reiterated
    his support for Israel and done practically nothing to help the Palestinians.