1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 09:43
    I found this:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

and the Lady managed to enrage me with her mindless babble so much that I create a thread in Debates.

Is it really true that football (the kind played with the foot and a ball actaully) is for sissies?
    Is it true that for a sport to be real people have to be injured?
    Is it true that no American whose great-grandfather was born in the US is watching football?
  2. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 10:04
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I found this:

and the Lady managed to enrage me with her mindless babble so much that I create a thread in Debates.

Is it really true that football (the kind played with the foot and a ball actaully) is for sissies?
    Is it true that no American whose great-grandfather was born in the US is watching football?
    England played like girls.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 10:122 edits
    I found this:

You should not get enraged, as I understand it the perception in America of soccer is that its a non contact sport and initially was primarily played by women (if you ever watched the X-men animated series Jean is portrayed as as an awesome soccer player although she is accused of using her mutant skills to be awesome), the empirical facts are that record numbers of people in America are watching and playing soccer and I suspect projecting stereotypes like the reference that you cited is because other sports are afraid of its popularity. Ann Coulters text is simply that, a projection of her fears.

How much fun can going to the local park with an egg shaped ball actually be? What can you do, throw it to yourself? Wow thats seriously lame.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 10:26
    That column looks like something whodey could've written.
  5. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 11:22
    I found this:

The real question for me is why spectator sports are so popular. I find them boring. I'm more of a "doer" than a "viewer". Watching sports seems like a vicarious life style. Bought my first telly when I turned 65.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 21:36
    I found this:

I don't watch soccer. I find it a very boring sport. Yes, soccer is viewed as a sissy sport in the US.

I know people get injured playing soccer.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 21:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '14 17:25
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I don't watch soccer. I find it a very boring sport. Yes, soccer is viewed as a sissy sport in the US.

I know people get injured playing soccer.
    How is soccer more of a 'sissy', sport than basketball? Do explain.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '14 18:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    In the US Soccer goes more head to head with American football.

But no, Soccer is no less sissy than either Basketball or Baseball, but it is much more sissy than American football.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 00:16
    One measure of sissiness in the US has a dollar sign in front of it.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 07:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    One measure of sissiness in the US has a dollar sign in front of it.
    Indeed and its quite absurd. Clearly Eladar is simply regurgitating some piece of propaganda. If he observed the recent spate of games he would have realised that a number of players were taken from the field of play by paramedics on a stretcher. A much more rational objection would be the propensity for diving and the horrendous decisions made by the officials. On this later count the NFL is vastly superior as there are numerous officials who form a consensus and who intimate the reasons for their decision to the spectators. The argument that video review would slow soccer down is nonsense.
  12. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 10:33
    Indeed and its quite absurd. Clearly Eladar is simply regurgitating some piece of propaganda. If he observed the recent spate of games he would have realised that a number of players were taken from the field of play by paramedics on a stretcher. A much more rational objection would be the propensity for diving and the horrendous decisions made by ...[text shortened]... decision to the spectators. The argument that video review would slow soccer down is nonsense.
    lets be honest basketball is the male version of net ball(very girly)Baseball is what british kids played called Rounders very sissyish and American Football is a sissy version of Rugby(where there are no time outs no protection and the players run for nearly an hour and a half.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 10:36
    Indeed and its quite absurd. Clearly Eladar is simply regurgitating some piece of propaganda. If he observed the recent spate of games he would have realised that a number of players were taken from the field of play by paramedics on a stretcher. A much more rational objection would be the propensity for diving and the horrendous decisions made by ...[text shortened]... decision to the spectators. The argument that video review would slow soccer down is nonsense.
    It depends, they shouldn't do it over every tackle, but getting decisions within the penalty box right is critical.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 11:04
    Originally posted by redbadger
    lets be honest basketball is the male version of net ball(very girly)Baseball is what british kids played called Rounders very sissyish and American Football is a sissy version of Rugby(where there are no time outs no protection and the players run for nearly an hour and a half.
    Back of the netball kidz
  15. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 11:08
    Back of the netball kidz
    game set and match

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree