1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 16:25
    It seems that even in the midterms, the popular vote went to dems, like 10 million or so but republicans have bent the slate so much that democrats have to win by 10 more points than they would have had if gerrymandering wasn't so prevalent in the US.
    That seems to be the ONLY way repubs have won in the last 30 years.

They will do everything in their power to KEEP it that way too.
    So how can dems fight that even though we own the House now? With Trump now still owning SCOTUS and the senate it seems like there will be no way to break this republican hold.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 16:271 edit
    Redistricting should be handled exclusively by non-partisan bodies, and then checked with bi-partisan committees
  3. Germany
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 16:45
    Abolish voting districts, problem solved.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 17:07
    @kazetnagorra said
    Voting districts are a hold back to the 18th century when nobody could drive 100 miles to vote or vote absentee or whatever. It is the frigging 21st century for gods sake, we need upgrades to voting. Republicans have had decades of restrictive voting and we need to end that NOW.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 17:24
    @kazetnagorra said
    That won't work in a system where one elects representatives. Gerrymandering is a problem, but not an insurmountable one. Controlling this is what the judiciary are for.
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 17:49
    @sonhouse said
    It seems that even in the midterms, the popular vote went to dems, like 10 million or so but republicans have bent the slate so much that democrats have to win by 10 more points than they would have had if gerrymandering wasn't so prevalent in the US.

They will do everything in their power to KEEP it th ...[text shortened]... still owning SCOTUS and the senate it seems like there will be no way to break this republican hold.
    The fact is gerrymandering, while immoral, is not strictly illegal in most cases. As I understand it, this was a Karl Rove idea. Can we ever kill it? It's possible, but not likely. I think the best we can hope for is to make anti gerrymandering legislation a priority on a state level. This will be a long process, perhaps decades. The sad fact is, the GOP found a loophole and used it.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 19:35
    @deepthought said
    That won't work in a system where one elects representatives. Gerrymandering is a problem, but not an insurmountable one. Controlling this is what the judiciary are for.
    Sure it does, I vote for representatives and there are no voting districts in that election.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 19:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 21:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Judges do not have to be appointees.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 21:43
    @kazetnagorra said
    Sure it does, I vote for representatives and there are no voting districts in that election.
    Do you have a specific representative? The point with the British system is that one's constituency MP cannot escape their obligation to their constituents and that one has a specific representative in Parliament. Mine is Damian Hinds so I could, if I wished, attend a constituency surgery and bend the ear of a cabinet minister. Can you do that?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 21:48
    @sonhouse said

They will do everything in their power to KEEP it th ...[text shortened]... still owning SCOTUS and the senate it seems like there will be no way to break this republican hold.
    Your stats are way off; according to this: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/06/us/elections/results-house-elections.html

the Dems carried the House vote by about 4 million and got about 51% to 47%. That works out to high 220s of House members and that's exactly what they will get.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 22:00
    @deepthought said
    Do you have a specific representative? The point with the British system is that one's constituency MP cannot escape their obligation to their constituents and that one has a specific representative in Parliament. Mine is Damian Hinds so I could, if I wished, attend a constituency surgery and bend the ear of a cabinet minister. Can you do that?
    I voted for a specific representative, yes. Not sure what I would have to do to get into contact with him directly. Guess I could become a party member and go to party meetings and stuff, but I don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

I don't see why voters' choices should be restricted by geography. If someone wants to vote for someone from their area, then fine, otherwise if they think there are better candidates elsewhere in the same administrative division, why stop 'em? I could choose between 500 or so people who could realistically get elected, how about you?
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 22:06
    @kazetnagorra said
    I voted for a specific representative, yes. Not sure what I would have to do to get into contact with him directly. Guess I could become a party member and go to party meetings and stuff, but I don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

I don't see why voters' choices should be restricted by geography. If someone wants to vote for someone from their area, then fine, o ...[text shortened]... top 'em? I could choose between 500 or so people who could realistically get elected, how about you?
    I think the point of districts electing officials is to have someone fight for the issues of a specific community.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 22:17
    @kazetnagorra said

I don't see why voters' choices should be restricted by geography. If someone wants to vote for someone from their area, then fine, o ...[text shortened]... top 'em? I could choose between 500 or so people who could realistically get elected, how about you?
    Do you have phones where you live? If I want to contact my Congressman, I can just call his outreach number.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 22:22
    @sonhouse said

Anti-gerrymandering propositions which create independent boards to oversee the drawing of districts easily passed in Michigan, Colorado and Missouri with another in Utah leading. https://ivn.us/2018/11/06/anti-gerrymandering-reforms-sweep-nation-tuesday/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree