1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 20:49
    I have finally revealed the source of Obama's political ideology of the redistribution of wealth. A friend of mine told me all about it. Apparently while living in Hawaii he was exposed to what is called "Cargo cults".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

"A cargo cult is a type of religious practice that may appear in traditional tribal societies in the wake of interaction with technologically advanced cultures. The cults are focused on obtaining the material wealth (the cargo) of the advanced culture through magic and religious rituals and practices (performed in the legislative chambers of Congress), believing that the wealth was intended for them by their deities and ancestors. Cargo cults developed primarily in remote parts of New Guinea and other Melanesian and MIcronesian socities in the southwest Pacific."

"From time to time, the term "cargo cult" is invoked as an English language idiom to mean any group of people who imitate the superficial eterior of a process or system without having any understanding of the underlying substance." For example, primatives may see advanced societies clearing trees away to enable planes to land. They then cleared away trees on other parts of the island in the hopes that those same planes would land with cargo. You may see this as Obama and company copy the FDR policies in the hopes that they too can escape financial ruin. 😀
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 20:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    I have finally revealed the source of Obama's political ideology of the redistribution of wealth. A friend of mine told me all about it. Apparently while living in Hawaii he was exposed to what is called "Cargo cults".

"A cargo cult is a type of religious practice that may appear in traditional tribal societie ...[text shortened]... company copy the FDR policies in the hopes that they too can escape financial ruin. 😀
    A Rush Limbaugh fan,whodey?😏
  3. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 21:021 edit
    Maybe whodey's friend is Rush.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 21:12
    where's my crate of Spam?
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 21:573 edits

"A cargo cult is a type of religious practice that may appear in traditional tribal societie company copy the FDR policies in the hopes that they too can escape financial ruin. 😀
    "technologically advanced cultures" -- politicians holding bipartisan discussions about the various ways of cutting costs by making government operate more efficiently, and then making the tough decisions to make this happen.

"traditional tribal societies imitating the superficial eterior of a process" -- Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann and their respective minions in Congress making fun of each other.
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 22:02
    i thought cargo cults are associated with south pacific, not hawaii (mid-pacific).
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 22:03
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    "technologically advanced cultures" -- politicians holding bipartisan discussions about the various ways of cutting costs by making government operate more efficiently, and then making the tough decisions to make this happen.

"traditional tribal societies imitating the superficial eterior of a process" -- Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann and their respective minions in Congress making fun of each other.
    on what planet did you observe item 1?
  8. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 22:06
    The only "John Frums" I have ever seen were Republicans.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 02:40
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    A Rush Limbaugh fan,whodey?😏
    Is that where it came from? Whatever the source, it is simply hilarious.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 02:42
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Maybe whodey's friend is Rush.
    I'm no friend of Rush. 😠

I merely supply him with narcotics. 😛
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 02:50
    I merely supply him with narcotics. 😛
    You must be a very rich man.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree