Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    06 Jun '13 13:47
    Governor Chris Christie's proven ability to work with lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle in order to accomplish the needs of his state may very well outweigh (pardon the pun) questions about his health, and the fact he appears to be too moderate for many GOP voters. I believe Governor Christie would be very difficult for a Democratic candidate to defeat in a general election. So, assuming Governor Christie wishes to run for President in 2016, what are his chances of getting the GOP nomination?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/christie-enjoys-broad-political-appeal-according-poll-133857321.html
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jun '13 14:10
    Originally posted by bill718
    Governor Chris Christie's proven ability to work with lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle in order to accomplish the needs of his state may very well outweigh (pardon the pun) questions about his health, and the fact he appears to be too moderate for many GOP voters. I believe Governor Christie would be very difficult for a Democratic candidate t ...[text shortened]... ews.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/christie-enjoys-broad-political-appeal-according-poll-133857321.html
    ==what are his chances of getting the GOP nomination? ==

Slim

(sorry, I just can't help it)

Seriously, though, I'd love Christie to run for President and win, but his cooperation with Obama and his moderate view on social issues is going to kill him in the nomination process. Look what happened to Giuliani and Romney had to backtrack on all of his socially moderate positions to win the nomination.

One would hope that the GOP would have learned its lesson on the consequences of being too socially conservative for the mainsteam voter, but I'm not holding my breath.
  3. 06 Jun '13 14:15
    Originally posted by sh76

Slim

Seriously, though, I'd love Christie to run for President and win, but his cooperation with Obama and his moderate view on social issues is going to kill him in the nomination process. Look what happened to Giuliani and Romney had to backtrack on all of his s ...[text shortened]... es of being too socially conservative for the mainsteam voter, but I'm not holding my breath.
    No the GOP is still stuck in mindset contrary to what the majority of voters want. Note how ryan tried to introduce the same budget the public voted down in November! Christie would have an excellent chance of winning.
  4. 06 Jun '13 15:09
    Originally posted by Phranny
    No the GOP is still stuck in mindset contrary to what the majority of voters want. Note how ryan tried to introduce the same budget the public voted down in November! Christie would have an excellent chance of winning.
    A fair chance to win the Presidency IF he won the Republican nomination, which is a longshot.

In order for him to win the primaries he would have to check his rationality at the door (just as Romney did) and that would hurt him in the GE (just as Romney).
  5. 06 Jun '13 15:38
    mUST....STOP.........urge...to say...

Fat Chance !
  6. 06 Jun '13 15:53
    If the election were decided with a pie eating contest, then Christie would have a very good chance indeed.
  7. 06 Jun '13 15:58
    Originally posted by dryhump
    If the election were decided with a pie eating contest, then Christie would have a very good chance indeed.
    Has any independent candidate ever become President of the USA?

Or do they all have to go through a party nomination process?
  8. 06 Jun '13 20:33

Slim

Seriously, though, I'd love Christie to run for President and win, but his cooperation with Obama and his moderate view on social issues is going to kill him in the nomination process. Look what happened to Giuliani and Romney had to backtrack on all of his s ...[text shortened]... es of being too socially conservative for the mainsteam voter, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Insures that Hillary is the next President.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Jun '13 20:43
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Insures that Hillary is the next President.
    I doubt it; she had her shot.

As for CC, fat guys are at best sidekicks; they don't get the girl. Maybe he'll be Jeb Bush's running mate.
  10. 06 Jun '13 21:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder

As for CC, fat guys are at best sidekicks; they don't get the girl. Maybe he'll be Jeb Bush's running mate.
    Yeah, the best looking of the bunch seems to be typically wins. Obama and Romney were close, but Obama edged ahead with his Baywatch pictures.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jun '13 22:51
    Originally posted by no1marauder

According to the NY Times he's already lost 40 pounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/nyregion/chris-christie-secretly-had-weight-loss-surgery.html?_r=0

Don't be surprised if he's suddenly skinny in 2016. Huckabee lost a ton of weight for his run (though he seems to have found a good chunk of it).
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Jun '13 22:58
    According to the NY Times he's already lost 40 pounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/nyregion/chris-christie-secretly-had-weight-loss-surgery.html?_r=0

Don't be surprised if he's suddenly skinny in 2016. Huckabee lost a ton of weight for his run (though he seems to have found a good chunk of it).
    (Shrug) He's still close to 300 pounds.

Anyway, the Republicans since 1980 are 5-1 with a Bush on the ticket and 0-3 without one. They are "conservatives"; they'll go back to what once worked.
  13. 09 Jun '13 04:41
    One would hope that the GOP would have learned its lesson on the consequences of being too socially conservative for the mainsteam voter, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Insures that the Democrat candidate wins in 2016.
  14. 09 Jun '13 11:47
    I will predict a Christie win.

After all, the Executive Branch seems to do nothing but get bigger, and bigger, and bigger........but maybe not that big.