Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 12:56
    Michael Cohen sat down with George Stephanopoulos of ABC's "Good Morning America" and had some interesting things to say:

“My wife, my daughter and my son have my first loyalty and always will,” Cohen told “Good Morning America” host George Stephanopoulos in an interview published Monday. “I put family and country first.”

Pressed by Stephanopoulos as to what he would do if prosecutors were to put him the position of choosing between defending the president or protecting his family, Cohen said his family is “my first priority.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That agreement, and the $130,000 payment to Daniels that it stipulated, were handled by Cohen, who previously claimed that Trump knew nothing about it and did not reimburse him for the money.

Asked if the president was aware of the deal with Daniels, Cohen did not stick to his previous argument.

“I want to answer. One day I will answer,” he said. “But for now, I can’t comment further on advice of my counsel.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The president’s longtime attorney and fixer told Stephanopoulos that "I don’t like the term witch hunt” and that “I don’t agree with those who demonize or vilify the FBI.”

He also condemned Russia for its efforts aimed at interfering in the 2016 presidential election, steps that the U.S. intelligence community has said the Kremlin took with the intention of aiding Trump’s campaign and hindering that of Democrat Hillary Clinton. Cohen’s comments were a sharp departure from Trump, who has been hesitant to criticize Russia for its efforts and has spoken warmly of Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has repeatedly denied to Trump that his nation was involved in the 2016 election at all.

“As an American, I repudiate Russia’s or any other foreign government’s attempt to interfere or meddle in our democratic process, and I would call on all Americans to do the same,” Cohen said. “Simply accepting the denial of Mr. Putin is unsustainable.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/02/michael-cohen-interview-gma-trump-689659

The noose tightens.
  2. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 13:44
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    .......“As an American, I repudiate Russia’s or any other foreign government’s attempt to interfere or meddle in our democratic process, and I would call on all Americans to do the same,” Cohen said. “Simply accepting the denial of Mr. Putin is unsustainable.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/02/michael-cohen-interview-gma-trump-689659

The noose tightens.
    Does this interview signal that Cohen is trapped in a vice, and not only has sung but will continue to sing on the witness stand, and that Mueller is about to unleash holy terror on Trump in this month of July, as many pundits seem to be suggesting?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 13:491 edit
    Michael Cohen sat down with George Stephanopoulos of ABC's "Good Morning America" and had some interesting things to say:

“My wife, my daughter and my son have my first loyalty and always will,” Cohen told “Good Morning America” host George Stephanopoulos in an interview published Monday. “I put family and country first.”

Pressed by Stephanopo ...[text shortened]... ww.politico.com/story/2018/07/02/michael-cohen-interview-gma-trump-689659

The noose tightens.
    So he lied but now might tell the truth, and his testimony is good how again?

I just love lawyers.

Any day now..............................
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 13:50

Pressed by Stephanopo ...[text shortened]... ww.politico.com/story/2018/07/02/michael-cohen-interview-gma-trump-689659

The noose tightens.
    I think he clearly telegraphed that he's going to flip.

Ultimately, even something like Trump intentionally paying off Stormy and knowing about the Russian meetings will only be enough to impeach him if the Dems control the House and there's no way they're getting 67 votes to remove him unless they find something on Trump that's on a different level than what we know about now.
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 13:54
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So he lied but now might tell the truth, and his testimony is good how again?

I just love lawyers.

Any day now..............................
    I love when you say that "any day now" crap. When that day comes, I fully intend to ram that saying right back into your face.

They won't have just Cohen's word (though anybody's word vs Trump's is almost certainly a credibility mismatch as bad as Ali v. Chuck Wepner):

Prosecutors will get their hands on over 4 million files seized from the former personal lawyer for President Trump after a judge on Tuesday ordered most of the materials released to investigators probing the lawyer's business dealings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/prosecutors-to-get-more-than-4-million-files-from-michael-cohen/
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 13:58
    Originally posted by @sh76
    I think he clearly telegraphed that he's going to flip.

Ultimately, even something like Trump intentionally paying off Stormy and knowing about the Russian meetings will only be enough to impeach him if the Dems control the House and there's no way they're getting 67 votes to remove him unless they find something on Trump that's on a different level than what we know about now.
    Fine, the Republicans can go down in flames protecting a criminal; the Daniels payoff and the Trump Tower meetings are both criminal violations of the campaign finance laws.

When members of Trump's inner circle start getting indicted, his favorability rating is going to crater and I doubt Republicans will be as anxious as you think to save his a**.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:04
    Fine, the Republicans can go down in flames protecting a criminal; the Daniels payoff and the Trump Tower meetings are both criminal violations of the campaign finance laws.

When members of Trump's inner circle start getting indicted, his favorability rating is going to crater and I doubt Republicans will be as anxious as you think to save his a**.
    You can write ass you know. Something Trump only has half. And that is his GOOD quality.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:082 edits
    I love when you say that "any day now" crap. When that day comes, I fully intend to ram that saying right back into your face.

They won't have just Cohen's word (though anybody's word vs Trump's is almost certainly a credibility mismatch as bad as Ali v. Chuck Wepner):

Prosecutors will get their hands on over 4 million files seized from the former ...[text shortened]...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/prosecutors-to-get-more-than-4-million-files-from-michael-cohen/
    Bill Clinton paid off his whores as well but for more money. At least Trump is a better business man.

Then there was that secret meeting with the head of the DOJ as they were investigating his wife.

Of course, all of this is perfectly acceptable and OK.

Most Americans are tired of this partisan hypocritical crap and IF Trump goes down in flames the country may as well because people are fed up with this crap.
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:11
    Bill Clinton paid off his whores as well but for more money

Then there was that secret meeting with the head of the DOJ as they were investigating his wife.

Of course, all of this is perfectly acceptable and OK.

Most Americans are tired of this partisan crap and IF Trump goes down in flames so will the country because people are fed up.
    The "what about Clinton" BS isn't going to fly when the next indictments come out.

There's as much support for impeachment of Trump now as there was for impeachment of Nixon 5 months before he resigned. https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/22/politics/impeach-trump-nixon-support-bill-clinton-poll/index.html
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:18
    The "what about Clinton" BS isn't going to fly when the next indictments come out.

There's as much support for impeachment of Trump now as there was for impeachment of Nixon 5 months before he resigned. https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/22/politics/impeach-trump-nixon-support-bill-clinton-poll/index.html
    Everyone sees the hypocrisy and how Hillary was treated differently by both the DOJ and FBI.

You can rant and rave all you want and it does you no good. The truth is far too evident.

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:22
    Another tidbit:

The joint defense agreement between President Trump and former attorney Michael Cohen will come to an end over the next few days, according to ABC.

The joint agreement allowed Cohen and Trump’s lawyers to share information with one another, but when Cohen’s new attorney Guy Petrillo becomes his head counsel this week, this agreement will be terminated, ABC reported.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/395122-trumps-joint-defense-agreement-with-cohen-ending-report
  12. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:24

Maybe money laundering will be the final nail.
    https://www.wired.com/story/if-trump-is-laundering-russian-money-heres-how-it-works/
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:26
    Another tidbit:

The joint defense agreement between President Trump and former attorney Michael Cohen will come to an end over the next few days, according to ABC.

The joint agreement allowed Cohen and Trump’s lawyers to share information with one another, but when Cohen’s new attorney Guy Petrillo becomes his head counsel this week, this agreemen ...[text shortened]... ehill.com/homenews/administration/395122-trumps-joint-defense-agreement-with-cohen-ending-report
    Lawyer confidentiality is a thing of the past...........as long as there is an "R" by your name.

The deep state rules with a rod of iron it seems.

No rules, just right. 😵
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:29
    Everyone sees the hypocrisy and how Hillary was treated differently by both the DOJ and FBI.

You can rant and rave all you want and it does you no good. The truth is far too evident.

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.
    I suppose by "everyone" you mean all the right wing nuts desperately trying to save the incompetent criminal presently defiling the White House.

You and the truth are complete strangers; the IG report that right wingers were salivating for showed that the decision not to charge HRC was a correct one, unanimously made by a large investigatory team.

Republicans in the House can desperately try to obstruct an ongoing criminal investigation by making absurd demands for millions of documents that FBI Director Wray says requires him to use over a 100 staff to comply with, but Mueller and the Southern District of NY prosecution team are pressing on. The denouement is soon coming.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 14:33
    Lawyer confidentiality is a thing of the past...........as long as there is an "R" by your name.

The deep state rules with a rod of iron it seems.

No rules, just right. 😵
    Sorry, lawyer-client confidentiality does not protect the planning of future crimes. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-crime-fraud-exception-the-attorney-client-privilege.html

Cohen and Trump planning to pay off Daniels right before the election to help Trump's campaign is a violation of campaign finance law and thus any discussions which concerned it are admissible in court.